VIVE USERS: Web-Based Third Party Tools & VR?

Hi Everyone,

I play Elite using the Vive, HOTAS and other peripherals. It's very frustrating using web browser based third party tools because I am constantly having to take off the headset to look at data on the screen. I'm trying to see if I can somehow get something that will allow me to browse the web or use applications while playing Elite.

I'm aware of Open VR Desktop Overlay (I think that's the name) and have it downloaded. But, looking for other options.

I found and purchased OvrDrop. I purchased this to support the developer. But, I don't have a 2nd screen, so I can't really use it.

I just discovered the V Dashboard, but despite saying it works with Vive and Elite, I can't get it to work properly and it appears the project was abandoned.

Any other ideas?

If you play on Vive and use third party tools for info, please share with us how you were able to make this even a little more pleasant.

TIA! :)

~ CMDR Boyan

• Like (+1)
Reactions: mmm
Before I purchased OVRDrop, I used another app called UVROverlay: https://github.com/scudzey/UVROverlay
( Discussion about it on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4wl6tv/vroverlay_a_lightweight_overlay_management_tool/ )

It is similar to OVRDrop, but
+ different method do capture the graphics. Your browser/ program may be in the background
- mouse cursor will not be displayed
- configuration is quite difficult
+ it's free

Also (if I remeber correctly) you also have to diasble hardware acceleration in your browser. But I would always adwise to do it, as it releives the load of your GPU.

I use the default steamvr desktop mode, doesnt give the option to pin windows on top of what you are playing but for looking up trade or travel stuff it works perfectly after changing its distance from 3 or 4 meters away to about 1 meter away and its size to 1.2 meters or so.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ile-in-ED-VR?p=5827547&viewfull=1#post5827547

Then its just a matter of hitting the button on the side of the vive to bring up the desktop, ive got my keyboard between my hotas and the mouse to the right of the stick.

Used it to look up 270ish jumps using the neutron hightway site when hopping over to colonia before there was long route planning and boost.

I use OVRDrop combined with VoiceAttack:

I'm flying my ship, and with one command I make OVRDrop show my desktop with all my windows and can use them. With Another command I hide the desktop and can continue flying.

I use OVRDrop combined with VoiceAttack:

I'm flying my ship, and with one command I make OVRDrop show my desktop with all my windows and can use them. With Another command I hide the desktop and can continue flying.

How did you set that up? I don't have VoiceAttack, I'm using a free app from this forum that uses the Windows Voice Recognition and then can send key presses. So I think I should be able to do the same thing, if you can tell me what keys to send with my voice.

Update:

I have figured it all out and now successfully using OvrDrop.

A few notes for early OvrDrop adopters like myself that abandoned the program after launch...

1. Second screen is no longer necessary. In order to see your desktop, simply play Elite in windowed mode. Drag the Elite Dangerous gameplay window to the bottom left corner of your screen (so just the "x" to close the application is showing". Make sure the window you wish to view in OvrDrop is not being overlapped by any other window (including OvrDrop itself.

2. Check out OvrDrop's settings. There is a checkbox to tick to allow a single button to open and close the OvrDrop display. Make sure you set a button that does not conflict with your Elite keybinds. You can use this button (or program a Voice Attack command) while playing Elite to open and close the display.

3. TO reposition the OvrDrop screen in your VR space, use a Vive controller and hover over the OvrDrop display in VR. Once the screen is highlighted or you feel haptic feedback response, you can point at the cross hair in the top right. Hold the trigger to move the window around and release the trigger when you're happy with the position. To make the display larger or smaller, use the 2nd Vive controller and hold both triggers. Then implay spread your arms out or bring them closer together (while holding the triggers to resize)

4. I have transparency set to 50%. This is perfect for stream view (not for looking at data) as you can mount the display directly in front of you and still see what's going on, but when you're traveling in the black, the black background makes it seem like you're watching a solid screen. Works great. The transparency settings can be found on the bottom right of the OvrDrop display on your desktop. It's the field on the left on the bottom right. Set it to "50". It's called the Alpha setting if you hover over it with your mouse pointer.

5. NOTE: Once you use a mouse or click on your OvrDrop display, you will lose control of your HOTAS. Use alt-tab to regain control.

6. There's no longer random loss of control when jumping. THat was apparently an early big that's no longer there now. :)

7. I'm currently using OvrDrop for my web-based third party tools and it works like a charm, but you'll need to greatly expand the display and have a solid background to read text. I recommend saving two profiles in OvrDrop - One for streams and the other for third party tools with differing screen sizes and transparency settings.

I haven't tried using OvrDrop yet for installed third party tool apps like EDDiscovery or EDEngineer. If I remember to do so, I'll report back here on how that worked out too.

I'm not yet set up for capture (I'm planning a dual PC setup and it's a pain in the to figure out). But, once I have that figured out, I'll be sure to create YouTube tutorials to help others out (so you don't have to go through all the trial and error I'm going through)

Hope this helps! :)

Top Bottom