VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV Help Mapping

Hopefully someone else has ran into issues with this. I just got the VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV pedals brand new and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get these to work with Elite Dangerous. I seem to calibrate them with the VKB confusing software (unless I am doing that incorrectly). I launch Elite Dangerous and cannot map the yaw axis to the pedals, it just does not pick up the pedals as input it seems. Does anyone have any experience using these or calibrating them for setting them up with this game? I imagine it can't be this hard I've got to be missing something.

Thanks in advance!

sorry don't own them hopefully someone who does will be along
is the device seen in windows control panel devices and printers section
does it have any buttons at all or is it just pedals (axsis)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it’s in there, the system clearly sees it but I’m not sure if I calibrated it correctly with the VKB software and why Elite Dangerous can’t see it. As far as I can see it is just the pedals and then the black box that came with it that connects the pedals to the PC via USB, no additional buttons or anything.

I'd say it's not a calibration issue. To me it looks more like setting up yaw to buttons not axis or switching roll-into-yaw function on.

yea I think the problem is getting the device id recognised
which you would normally do by pressing remapping a button on the device
in a custom preset bind file in the game
then the device it will appear in the bind file when applyed

Hmm yeah I’m trying everything, appreciate the responses! Other people seem to have had it work right out of the box “plug and play” there’s no buttons on the pedals I see anywhere. I’m hoping someone who uses these pedals can shed some light on the situation.

am I correct in saying you have some kinda joystick too plugged into that black box you speak of
if so I imagine the vkb software will need to setup a virtual device to be recognized ie merge joy and peddels
vjoy may be easier and work in that regards but like I say its a guess as I don't own either
(a simple x box controller suits all my high precision needs fa off too)
(but don't look anywhere near as pretty!)
most new controls anyway will feel wrong until with practice you get a muscle mem feel counter programmed into you anyways

Last edited:
Can you show us a screenshot of you yaw axis ingame configuration?
Certainly can little later on today, as far as I can recall the yaw axis binding is blank and yaw left and yaw right are still mapped to the A and D keys respectively.

am I correct in saying you have some kinda joystick too plugged into that black box you speak of
if so I imagine the vkb software will need to setup a virtual device to be recognized ie merge joy and peddels
vjoy may be easier and work in that regards but like I say its a guess as I don't own either
(a simple x box controller suits all my high precision needs fa off too)

The black box with the pedals only has the pedals plugged into it. The pedals have an Ethernet cord from them that go to the black box that came with them from VKB and then from that black box VKB also provided a USB that plugs into the PC. My joystick is plugged into a separate USB port in the PC as well as my throttle. I do appreciate all the help though, I may just try vjoy unless we hopefully have someone on here who own and use these VKB pedals which are pretty common I assumed.

Thank you everyone for continuing with the helpful suggestions, if anything works I will update this thread as I couldn’t find anything online at all.

I'm not surprised the pedals don't work, then. :)
Sorry for the late reply, okay here is the screenshot of my bindings for yaw. Whenever I try to map any yaw key to each pedal nothing happens, exact same for the yaw axis.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 86
Can you check in the VKB software how your pedals are configured? It might be that by default it looks like this:

Source: https://imgur.com/a/nlLIJNZ

but it should look like this:

Source: https://imgur.com/a/yW0597C

to let ED treat the input as analog axis input.
Thanks for the reply! So this might be getting closer to the problem as in other flight sims the pedals aren't recognized for any input either. I had the default configuration just as you shown, and I changed it to what you suggested. Sadly no change when trying to map the pedals to yaw in any flight sim including Elite Dangerous. Currently my configuration looks like this, identical to the second picture of yours. I made sure to click "Set" so it wrote to the configuration and saved it to the pedals. Upon reopening the configuration software it seemed to have saved the changed settings. Really appreciate the help everyone we are getting closer I feel! :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
er just to add if using steam in its big picture mode there are controller settings which may effect your control method adversely so do experiment there too
or go compare just a suggestion as like I say don't have the device or software

So I ended up figuring it out from a VKB forum for any of you who may benefit from me posting this here. Apparently if the blue AND green light is not both lit on your black box unit that is attached to the pedals it is not properly connected. I had to unplug the cable from the pedals and I swapped both ends of the cable and plugged the end that was plugged into the black box before into the pedals and vice versa. That caused it to work and allowed me to properly calibrate the pedals in the software allowing me to actually see the slider move in the software without needing to change any settings like axis stuff etc. I got right into Elite Dangerous after and was able to map the yaw axis to the pedals no problem now :) So TLDR the blue AND green lights on the black box must be on and if not try unplugging the cable and flipping it around, strange but it works! Thanks everyone for the help and I’ll see you in the galaxy o7 :)

Thanks for sharing this! I've been considering getting some of these pedals to replace my Logitech ones (a bit clunky, but ok for a first set of pedals), so it's good info for if/when I do. Quick side-question: how hard would it be to mount them/screw them down? I have a homebuild cockpit setup, and don't want them sliding around. Also, do they make much noise?

I have this rudder, been using them for a few years now. I just binded them via the in game bindings, never had an issue. No need for VKB software.

Did you try unbinding the A and D buttons from yaw and then setting the analog axis to the pedals? I think you might be getting a conflict between digital and analog settings.

In my settings, the left and right yaw fields are blank and the yaw axis is set to my joystick twist (which is an analog axis just like your pedals should be). Click on the box on the yaw axis line to the left of where it says REGULAR after deleting the A and D mappings, then wiggle the pedals when prompted.

Top Bottom