Voyage of discovery to the heart of the maelstrom

Greetings,

I started with the Hadad Malestrom because, well, I have a knack for always picking the hardest thing to do. As I had all my AX ships, weapons and modules 2 jumps away in a safe staging system I didn't want to move all that across the bubble to another Malestrom.

I dock at HIP 29596 De Kamp Vision to stock up on limpets and my return base if killed. Getting to the Malestrom always starts with the Thargoid hyperdiction doubling my fuel consumption to get to HIP 30377. Then lots of Thargoid interdictions with the 39,000LS using this Clipper build for collecting tissue samples. It's a little different when blowing up caustic generators. On the way there are several gravity wells so I at full throttle watch the timer go backwards. The extra minutes to get there gives me time to read the current threads on the Forum!

Arriving at the Malestrom it is in the middle of an asteroid field dropping my ship 750km away no matter how I approach. Through the field, a local jump then drop out at 100km. More fuel used. Around 85-90km the Pulse Wave Analyser lights up all the caustic generators and interceptors. Pick one and off I go into the caustic field. I work one caustic generator, get the tissue then if still OK another. Getting too much caustic damage or hull dropping leave the caustic field to decon and repair back to 100 percent hull. When fuel left is about 40 precent it's time to return to De Kamp Vision. A Thargoid hyperdiction can sometimes occur on the return doubling the fuel consumption. Best I've done moving quickly without making a mistake is 4 tissue samples. Too much damage I'm lucky to get two or go boom.

Back to De Kamp Vision, refuel and sell the limpets. Two jumps to my staging system. Swap the Clipper with a 60LY jump Asp Explorer with a 4E corrosion resistant cargo rack then 2 jumps to my fleet carrier to store the tissue samples. I like where my fleet carrier is parked and the break in the Malestrom action.

The Clipper runs cool, is fast and can boost away from interdictions taking little or no damage. The fuel doesn't last long in a Clipper. I tried a 2C fuel tank but didn't make that much difference. Note the build shows the data for the heat snd caustic sink launchers. Now I have 5 engineered caustic sink launchers. Let's see later if it was all worth it.

Hope this info helps Others

Last edited:
One thing to note is that the Guardian hull reinforcements last a lot longer than the meta alloys.

My T10, once I got it to the Maelstrom has been there for days. With 7A universal and an 8A cargo rack for limpets and GHRP's it is pretty much invulnerable in the outer reaches - closest approach to the centre was 15.5km using caustic sinks - roar got me of course :), but just moved to the upper areas and repaired.

It also was useful as a support ship whilst part of a team killing Interceptors in the Cloud.

Thanks for this, Alec. It's been fun and interesting. Plus, now I know what I'm missing, a little :p
Thanks, it's not over but possibly on hold for a little while. I have my maelstrom ship now but it's currently parked at Shinrarta while I take my Krait out to investigate all the Thargoid wrecks on Delphi 3.

While my maelstrom adventure is somewhat on hold for now I'm delighted to announce that "Caustic Science (Part 2)" is now available for your viewing pleasure. Will our hero have better luck getting that tissue sample into the hands of the scientists this time?

Well ... the fact I need to warn folks that a certain amount of swearing ensues probably tells you everything you need to know! :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy!

Source: https://youtu.be/Pv6Zog50bKg

Alec, looking at your earlier attempts it's already became evident that you really convinced to get some hazardous things inside peaceful human-friendly environments=).

Slightly off-topic but still related to maelstroms: am I the only one who have had troubles making hi-res screenshots (alt-f10) while being inside one of them? To my surprise the delay required to produce one have multiplied times in compare with hi-res screenshots taken anywhere else. Still doable but it takes not few seconds but like dozens.

Remove the dust sheets and thermal vent covers, fuel her up and run diagnostics ... I'm coming back for further adventures in the Passion Aggressive soon!

I read "regression testing". I've adopted doing unspeakable things to NPC in other games, too. I've dropped toxic waste onto stations in ED - maybe the right mix is the key for the caustic ketchup.

Drunken marriage proposals and other ancient relics

Seriously? Now?!?! ... sigh ... it's very inconvenient you know, I am trying to run a Buckyball Race!

OK, well I suppose I could take a short break and give the others a chance to catch up! :)

So HUGE things are afoot and I need to resume my voyage and find out what the hell is going on out there. The TG Pulse Neutraliser that Aegis have been working on has finally been made available and that means we now have the means to get past the shockwave that's been keeping us out of the maelstroms.

I had vaguely hoped that my contributions to Prof' Palin's Unclassified Relic research might have earned me a free one of these but apparently leaving them lying around in his bar and then going and telling him to smell my finger when he failed to come and collect them in person has not left me in his good books!

Mczikdc.png

pmFHe6h.png

Oh well, it looks like I'll be needing more materials to unlock these at a rescue megaship technology broker so first order of business is to check the shopping list.

• 1 Unclassified Relic
  • 5 Massive Energy Surge Analytics
  • 5 Propulsion Elements
  • 5 Sensor Fragments
I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of things like the extremely rare (unless you're @psykit) Caustic crystals that are found deep in the maelstrom clouds and in fact it turns out I already have everything I need apart from an Unclassified Relic (don't even ask me where I got 70 Propulsion Elements from, I have no idea!). I suppose I could go back to that settlement where I used one to make a drunken proposal of marriage to the bartender ..

o7iNl4J.png

.. but then again she probably wouldn't be very pleased to see me after what happened next (let's just say the glue I used wasn't as strong as I'd been led to believe). OK, well I guess I'm heading back to Guardian space today then because in order to make Unclassified Relics you first need some Classified ones! I'm going to use my faithful DBX (the "Bananery Fandango") for this task because of its massive 70+ly jump range.

Source: https://youtu.be/JpGwn1idAqs

With 3 Guardian Relics on board I now need to take these to a Thargoid surface structure to roast them in the central device at gas mark 5,000,000 for about 3 minutes. On the other hand ... I also really want to get back to the Buckyball Race (which involves racing around a couple of Thargoid surface structures). If only there was some way to combine these two activities.

🤔

Continued ...

Last edited:
I have been into the heart of darkness and hope to make more of this when more have been in and I can discuss it more freely

Top Bottom