VR is a niche (2)

Well I do enjoy the experience since I logged over 1000 hours in ED with it but I'll will have to try VR in the future !

I am also wondering how ED will deal with VR if space legs drop in 2020 ? It's hard for me to visualize how the transition between being always sit looking around VS running and looking around works.

VR and a huge screen are completely different experiences. It has to be tried to be truly understood but moving your head around, up down left or right or through any axis is translated into 3D so it is as if you are inside the game... albeit wearing a ski mask whilst suffering from a mild (to bad depending on the headset) case of myopia.

I was really worried about space legs until I played NMS VR. I've turned off the teleporting method of travel because it is horrible and disorientating. 'Walking around' using the controllers is a bit like it must be for Daleks or if the hover wheelchair is ever invented. It is certainly something that people using it need to have built up their VR sea legs to enjoy or it will make most people feel really sick. I'm used to it now and have built up a tolerance but the closest experience for anyone that hasn't tried it is like when you are sat in traffic on a coach and the one next to you moves but you stay still. It is like that all the time!

I am also wondering how ED will deal with VR if space legs drop in 2020 ? It's hard for me to visualize how the transition between being always sit looking around VS running and looking around works.

You won't be running anywhere in your ship, as there's no gravity unless you're on a planet / station.

Its early days.

Look at any technology revolution and its adoption rates and you will see that it takes time but ultimately you end up with stratospherically high adoption rates when the technology matures and becomes a fundamental part of every day life.

You won't be running anywhere in your ship, as there's no gravity unless you're on a planet / station.

Within the zero G environment, it would be great if they could implement something like Lone Echo, love that game and the movement avoids (for me) the nausea I experience in some other titles, not sure why, maybe it's because it's slower and more deliberate.

Station / planet side is where i have more concerns, where VR is concerned at any rate, but my biggest fear is that FD will decide to drop VR for the new expansion, which would completely kill the game for me.

I guess they are going for an "everybody and everything has magnets so there is some analog to gravity" solution, it is the easiest thing to be done and the VR environment I suspect it will work, at best, as VR Chat. Expecting something like Lone Echo is probably unrealistic. After all, the whole space legs with VR support is kind of putting a whole different game inside of a space travel simulator. They are going to pull it out but I don't expect it to be flawless at all.

I guess they are going for an "everybody and everything has magnets so there is some analog to gravity" solution, it is the easiest thing to be done and the VR environment I suspect it will work, at best, as VR Chat. Expecting something like Lone Echo is probably unrealistic. After all, the whole space legs with VR support is kind of putting a whole different game inside of a space travel simulator. They are going to pull it out but I don't expect it to be flawless at all.

Why would you assume that?

They've been working on the "New Era" for over a year now, with over a year to go. If they abandon the laws of physics and Elite lore to make yet more nonsense handwavium (magnets. really. :rolleyes:) then E: D will finally be dead for me - with or without VR.

They've been working on the "New Era" for over a year now, with over a year to go. If they abandon the laws of physics and Elite lore to make yet more nonsense handwavium (magnets. really. :rolleyes:) then E: D will finally be dead for me - with or without VR.

Mag boots are part of Elite lore, they're mentioned and used by characters in the official novels. Considering that Elites / FDEVs primary development focus is the 2D player base I'd have to agree with BinakAlgo. More would be nice but I doubt that will be the case.

If I had to guess, I’d say that there will be zeroG movement but with suit micro-thruster compensation - so a bit like the anti-gravity sections in the original Crysis. The SRV has the wheel thrusters that stop us gaining orbit (unless you try very hard) so I’d expect some similar explanation in the game for on foot movement - this could also be applied for highG worlds.

From a gameplay perspective it would probably feel like a normal FPS to control and look like “head-bobbing” is disabled, though I hope our avatars would look like they are just drifting along instead of walking.

The only concept art I’ve seen regarding ‘leet legs looked to show floaty stuff:

I have never worked in designing video games, but I notice that even "meh" first-person shooters need several years of development and as I said, the space legs are kind of a completely different game with other mechanics. I hope I will be wrong but I don't want to create unrealistic expectations for myself. 😕

I'm super skeptical on space legs too. I don't need it, especially not the additional story and game play it would allow for.

Regarding the VR is niche statement. Sim games are kind of a niche in the overall gaming market that is billions $$ big. Yet in sim setups there is the most money spent by single players investing in game seats, cockpit gear, racing wheels etc rather than in software. I would assume VR the next 5yrs has the potential to grab a share of 50% of all seated sim game player setups.
Besides the fanciness of new VR experiences innovating in game concepts first and foremost one would have too look at seated sim genre alone to really judge about how VR is doing. Unfortunately non of the seated sim game developers released figures about the uptake of VR for their customer base.
Forza series will see no VR because of platform strategy, however with Need for Speed even more arcade like sim experiences start to see VR support.

Any facts about the percentage of players in such specific seated sim games like ED could pull this discussion out of pure speculation....
Facts anybody?

I need to dig out the book I got back in 1995 on the "future" of gaming, which had a whole chapter on how 1996 was going to be "The year of VR", and how it'd be mainstream within a couple of years, and by 2000 you wouldn't be able to buy a console without it.

Eh, I can see them using the same mechanics as ships, with the same FA-on and off mechanics for a propulsion system for your flight suit, while having a toggle for some kind of magnetic boots, so you can orient yourself for some kind of walking* within your ship.
Plenty games already do this for their EVA sections, and it should be possible with a repurposing of ED's flight mechanics to first person stuff. I could see the VR experience being not too dissimilar to existing VR games I have which have spacewalks.

*(I don't imagine "running" per se being possible except on stations or close enough to 1G worlds).

Top Bottom