VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I have a feeling, with the vociferous complaints when it was initially announced that Odyssey would not include VR, that if it had been fully implemented in time for release, yes, they would have made it public!
Actually they announced it a long time ago sorry you missed it.

I would rather they made the Galaxy and system map more usable in VR, that's all that stops me playing ED in VR, It's just too frustrating trying to use the maps in VR

I would rather they made the Galaxy and system map more usable in VR, that's all that stops me playing ED in VR, It's just too frustrating trying to use the maps in VR
The GalMap in particular needs careful mapping of controls to shine in VR, but, once something that 'just works' for the individual is set up, it works very well.

It took me a while to get mine done, with a few hours in flat screen getting the muscle memory before playing, without having to think about what I was doing, in VR.

In VR don't try to use the keyboard & mouse to work the galaxy map, that's for 2D pancakers.... Spend a bit of time in the bindings and set up the galaxy map axis' to your hotas and "fly the galaxy map", it is utterly mesmerising. the use a hat switch to move the selection around the buttons / menus in the galmap like you do with starport and or ship menus. But given you have 6DOF control of your spaceship, you should be able to have 6dof in the galmap, IIRC when I flew with hotas, before I went dual sticks then flight assist off, I used to use stick for moving along the x & y & z axis' and the mini stick for tilt rotate and throttle for zoom.

OH, btw, if you want VR feet in Odyssey, would you mind liking the first post of the following thread and dropping a supportive comment in there?

Actually they announced it a long time ago sorry you missed it.
I belive you are getting confused... What they have done is "given" us the same VR we have in the cockpits in horizons, which are essentially carried forward into Odyssey, and for the on foot "space legs" buts they have given us this woeful ViRtual flatscreen, approximating a low res monitor rendered inside a grey bubble:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=genAAAPXbhI&t=127s

Not true. If they're anything like me, they'll just play Horizons if/until VR support is added. Meaning, Fdev makes no additional money on them until they deliver a product we want to buy. Purchasing Odyssey on a promise is foolhardy, especially with FDev's track record with their promises.
My sentiment exactly.

I belive you are getting confused... What they have done is "given" us the same VR we have in the cockpits in horizons, which are essentially carried forward into Odyssey, and for the on foot "space legs" buts they have given us this woeful ViRtual flatscreen, approximating a low res monitor rendered inside a grey bubble:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=genAAAPXbhI&t=127s

Actually, based on the Alpha ('coz it's not the 19th yet) what they gave us was a disjointed, flaky version of the VR that we have in Horizons. The graphical glitches, misaligned hud elements, menu screens not working was concerning. I hope they've rectified those before launch, and optimised the hell out of it.

Actually, based on the Alpha ('coz it's not the 19th yet) what they gave us was a disjointed, flaky version of the VR that we have in Horizons. The graphical glitches, misaligned hud elements, menu screens not working was concerning. I hope they've rectified those before launch, and optimised the hell out of it.
This^

Eww motion sickness.

A few mates who VR have that but luckily I seem to be immune.
I'm a strange cookie in as much as I can play some pretty "intense" games like detached, and adr1ft, I've spent nigh on half my adult life working in the oil industry, predominately on rigs in the North Sea, and I've only been sea sick once, and had a couple of instances of the dizzy/headache prelude in twelve years in the North Sea. But that virtual flatscreen, sorry, but no... Mere minutes and I was done. Every time I moved my head and the screen didn't follow, vestibular alarms started ringing, moving the head back to recentre the view didn't cancel the alarms, it just set off more alarms.

I only bought Odyssey to try out this VR implementation, and I really tried to make this ViRtual flatscreen work. If I forced myself to keep my head as bolt rigid as I could, like my life depended on it, I could play for about 40 mins max. But at the end of it my head and kneck hurt, I was still mildly motion sick, as you DO move your head numerous times involuntarily, and with the effectively reduced resolution of the virtual flat screen, granted I've got an older headset rift CV1, my eyes were nipping and I hadn't enjoyed my gaming session, and now felt like I had a mild hangover from it. That's why I started riling against the ViRtual flatscreen / grey burquah in the alpha forums, it was put in game purportedly to stop "people barfing in their headsets" to quote Stephen Benedetti, but it had the exact opposite effect on me.

It was not optimized for VR in Alpha . Sheesh can you people read at all.
"Not Optimised" refers to and explains the absolutely tanked framerates that everyone was experiencing, the "it's so bad..." and other negativity refers to how abysmal the VR experience of playing the on foot section of the game through the grey burquah is! sheesh, cant you even look at the video clip and try to imagine that as your virtual experience....

"Not Optimised" refers to and explains the absolutely tanked framerates that everyone was experiencing, the "it's so bad..." and other negativity refers to how abysmal the VR experience of playing the on foot section of the game through the grey burquah is! sheesh, cant you even look at the video clip and try to imagine that as your virtual experience....
LOL you so funny.

It was not optimized for VR in Alpha . Sheesh can you people read at all.
OK, it's still bad. The experience has nothing to do with optimization. The transition to the 2d low res virtual flat screen is jarring and it's just a bad experience.

I doubt it will be optimized at release, either. Or even months after release, for that matter.

Top Bottom