VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

VR in ED is overrated. You will be better off with Track-IR. Try the VR once if you haven’t, but I am have a more practical experience with Track-IR.

I do like VR. I think NMS is best played with VR, but ED is requires so much reference material and full use of a HOTAS, you really won’t miss VR if you have a Track-IR with ED.
Some may disagree with this ;)
I am genuinely happy that some pwople are not bothered by this however and will get enjoyment from the next dlc.

I only play this sim in VR...
FPS controls I prefer over VR grips...
So let who wants to play this new era in VR play using FPS Controls aPlease

VR in ED is overrated. You will be better off with Track-IR. Try the VR once if you haven’t, but I am have a more practical experience with Track-IR.

I do like VR. I think NMS is best played with VR, but ED is requires so much reference material and full use of a HOTAS, you really won’t miss VR if you have a Track-IR with ED.
I've played many games in VR, many games with Track IR - nothing compares to the VR experience - you obviously have very little exp with VR or are a troll. Full use of the X-56 and voice attack make it sooooo good !! ED is one of the very best VR games on the market ... It will be a shame to have them leave VR out of any major patch.

I've played many games in VR, many games with Track IR - nothing compares to the VR experience - you obviously have very little exp with VR or are a troll. Full use of the X-56 and voice attack make it sooooo good !! ED is one of the very best VR games on the market ... It will be a shame to have them leave VR out of any major patch.
I tried VR in Elite but didn't like it. That's just my personal view though.

This is core thing that's wrong with your post, and the reason why the rest of it is wrong ;)

Adding VR in this circumstance, to a reasonable standard, is not easy or straight-forward.

NMS, as you pointed out, got it done (post launch). But to do it to a reasonable standard that required the addition of: virtual cockpit interfaces, a complete remodelling / resizing of the spaceship cockpit, vehicle internal views, an adapted UI system, a new interface system for object interaction, a new base building interface, hand-held weapons, their own variants of relative motion including nausea tests. Etc etc etc etc etc. Certain aspects were never brought to parity (the sniper zoom for example), or taken to a polished level (roomscale was never officially supported). And performance remains a major issue to this day for many players, with the CPU load of the proc gen planets proving a particular issue. (I only solved my personal PCVR issues with it by buying a new CPU...)

It's not a switch. It's a massive design & engineering process which also impacts the game design for the classic game when multiplayer is in the mix.

All of the above are the type of issues FDev would have to deal with if they were to tackle it in earnest. It's not 'laziness' that they haven't. It's a perfectly understandable bit of risk aversion given the frankly rubbish ROI in the VR world. NMS have the luxury of sitting on a pot of gold (they've sold spectacularly well and have a small team). They can make this particular passion play with less risk to the company and the project as a whole.

Flip a switch in your head. And realise that adding VR + FPS to a multiplayer vehicle game set in a proc gen open world is not easy.

And then badger FDev to add it anyway, in a more reasonable fashion ;)

You are describing doing a good job versus doing a serviceable job.
There is one argument that blows yours out of the water - VR is often added to games that were never designed for it and it works just fine.
But let's go through your list-
Virtual Cockpit Interfaces- Doesn't need to be added to Elite. We already have VR in vehicles.
Spaceship Cockpit- No change here. (Also first person was always available in NMS, so they might have tweaked it but it wasn't entirely from scratch either).
Base Building Interface- Haha. Yeah. About that.
UI- Not necessary to change and easily modified. You're wearing a helmet for Heaven's Sake.
Hand Held Weapons- So? If it's too difficult (and that would be sad) then just use mouse controls.
Nausea- Well worn path at this point. Include basic feature options like binocular vision or just don't and let the community deal with it. It's not that big of a deal. Experienced VR users will turn that stuff off anyway.
Performance- This is the real issue. FDev are probably not great at optimization and they would have to do some real work and hire some experts. They should do this anyway.

Please don't tell me what I wouldn't miss. I can assure you I would miss VR very much indeed. Nothing matches the experience of driving round in an SRV in VR with the remote camera set above and behind the vehicle. Track IR doesn't come close, as it doesn't give you a 3d experience.

What I find galling about the whole Odyssey debacle, is that Frontier are removing VR because they are adding FPS, or so it seems, and I have absolutely no interest in FPS. Because they don't seem to care about a substantial minority of their players, they can't be bothered to at least implement VR everywhere except in legs combat scenarios, so I have to choose beween a neat looking graphics update and atmospheric planets without VR, and the current game with VR. Currently I'm leaning towards the latter.

Please don't tell me what I wouldn't miss. I can assure you I would miss VR very much indeed. Nothing matches the experience of driving round in an SRV in VR with the remote camera set above and behind the vehicle. Track IR doesn't come close, as it doesn't give you a 3d experience.

What I find galling about the whole Odyssey debacle, is that Frontier are removing VR because they are adding FPS, or so it seems, and I have absolutely no interest in FPS. Because they don't seem to care about a substantial minority of their players, they can't be bothered to at least implement VR everywhere except in legs combat scenarios, so I have to choose beween a neat looking graphics update and atmospheric planets without VR, and the current game with VR. Currently I'm leaning towards the latter.

Well once again, they aren't "removing" VR. The base game and Horizons are still active products with native VR options

The main complaint people are making is not being able to use VR specifically in Odyssey which would (presumably) be a different launch option. You would still be able to launch into Horizons, do your usual VR stuff like rattling around in an SRV but you'd have to lauch Odyssey outside VR to do FPS and (presumably but not confirmed) amospheric planets.

Well once again, they aren't "removing" VR. The base game and Horizons are still active products with native VR options

The complaints people are making is not being able to use VR specifically in Odyssey which would (presumably) be a different launch option. You would still be able to launch into Horizons, do your usual VR stuff like rattling around in an SRV in Horizons but you'd have to lauch Odyssey outside VR to do FPS and (presumably but not confirmed) amospheric planets.
Zac said they are still unsure where VR compatibility will be cut off, so it's still a distinct possibility that VR will be available for other parts of Odyssey. Due to the uncertainty it's better to assume it won't be possible though.

You would still be able to launch into Horizons, do your usual VR stuff like rattling around in an SRV but you'd have to lauch Odyssey outside VR to do FPS and (presumably but not confirmed) amospheric planets.
so no atmospheric planet and hugly planet for VR player, it's like said no new era for VR player,

i am an alpha baker with life time pass, you can understand i feel betrayed.

so no atmospheric planet and hugly planet for VR player, it's like said no new era for VR player,

i am an alpha baker with life time pass, you can understand i feel betrayed.
I feel your pain. I've not been around for so long, but I've put a fair amount of time and money into my Elite gaming set up, and was really looking foward to the 'New Era'. Unfortunately, the 'New Era' has turned into a shoot 'em up in pancake mode (like there weren't thousands of these already). Not sure how that's going to work for all the people with hotas/pedals/VR etc

[Edited spelling]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom