VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

As has happened so many times before, it's one thing for them to either state or suggest a feature is "being looked at" or "in the works", but the reality has been "well, maybe next update". I have been against space legs from the very beginning. But I recognize, sadly, I'm in the minority. As a result, I believe Frontier's need to satisfy the ridiculous space legs demand will far outweigh the effort to bring VR back post-Odyssey. I just don't believe we'll see it. And, even if we do, space legs will still be a thing that I want no part of. I don't even want it as a part of my universe. So, as part of the smallest minority in the customer base, I can't conceive of any change they might make that will entice me to buy future DLC. I'll just continue to play Horizons in VR until I can no longer play it. Believe me, I would really love to give them $$ for DLC stuff, but if it brings zero value to my game play (or, in this case, dramatically DEGRADES the game play), I won't do it.

All hail Greg!

Relevant section of transcript from video:
08:41 - [snip] so we released the first alpha on the
08:44 - 15th or December 2013 and the reception
08:49 - could have been better people really
08:51 - positive and excited about playing game
08:52 - and we were excited we're very proud of
08:54 - what we made to be honest but it's
08:55 - amazing one of the the clarion calls
08:58 - wouldn't this be wonderful and oculus
08:59 - rift because DK one was around a lot of
09:02 - our team had bought it personally so
09:04 - they can play around with their two home
09:05 - we had a few in the office and we be
09:09 - honest going to really resist one of the
09:11 - engineers are persuading me that a guy
09:14 - called Greg that he reckoned he could do
09:17 - it within he's initially said 24 hours
09:19 - and he said oh well three days or two
09:21 - but actually within a day he had managed
09:24 - to get it working on oculus rift it was
09:26 - just such a magical experience we
09:28 - thought we'd go for it and then so on
09:29 - twentieth of december we ship the game
09:31 - with oculus rift support for christmas
09:33 - so all the backers were amazed because
09:35 - they weren't expecting when we hadn't
09:37 - been expecting it ever [snip]
Source: https://youtu.be/vN2BWY872M8?list=PL3Ym79LECwSIkd3OyJEpy_9PwQEuHew2b&t=521

Must test it out to see if it is playable again yet. I've got a living ship egg, but can't put up with the vehicle controls in NMS. I love the planetary stuff.

I don't mind the VR ship controls. The trick is to anchor the bottom of the VR controllers into your armrest as though it was a HOTAS.

Hmm, I wonder if they added HOTAS support if there's a mod out there in the wild for it. Anyone know?

A few people who have chimed in on the debate have experience of working with VR and explained the process as basically putting hooks to call the VR API (Oculus/SteamVR). Others have cited a video from way back when in which David Braben explains that it only took "a guy called Greg" a handful of day to put Oculus Rift support into the initial Alpha in 2013. Other people have cited VR mods created by players for other games such as the GTA-V VR mod, or the Alien Isolation VR mod. So this isn't some blindly biased unscientific guestimate, the research we have done suggests that adding VR to a modern game isn't a moonshot, its more like a Monday afternoons work.

You keep posting this, but FDev couldn't release a product akin to those mods.

(The GTA V & AI mods are notorious for nausea triggers: Classic stick motion, views locked to first-person animations, etc etc).

Legs are a key pillar of Odyssey, and they would involve plenty more dev than just ensuring VR headlook is all up and running etc. (To hit industry standards they'd most likely need motion controllers for both interactions and nausea reduction techniques, which then leads to IK animation in a multiplayer PvP environment, etc etc. There's a load of VR work which cascades out of adding character gameplay to ED). Calling it all a Monday afternoon's work is just daft.

(That's the short story. If anyone wants the long story I can bang on about it some more ;))

(The GTA V & AI mods are notorious for nausea triggers: Classic stick motion, views locked to first-person animations, etc etc).

Legs are a key pillar of Odyssey, and they would involve plenty more dev than just ensuring VR headlook is all up and running etc. (To hit industry standards they'd most likely need motion controllers for both interactions and nausea reduction techniques, which then leads to IK animation in a multiplayer PvP environment, etc etc). Calling it all a Monday afternoon's work is just daft.

(That's the short story. If anyone wants the long story I can bang on about it some more ;))

No, including NO SUPPORT is just daft. Especially in a game engine that supports VR native. It is a Monday's afternoon work. Call it a weekday if you want to be thorough.

Honestly, I expect the bare minimum viable product from Fdev in regards to Elite. Would it be nice to have bells and whistles? Sure. But just give us the MVP and let us deal with it. They haven't been shy about doing it before, so it's silly to start now!

Legs are a key pillar of Odyssey, and they would involve plenty more dev than just ensuring VR headlook is all up and running etc. (To hit industry standards they'd most likely need motion controllers for both interactions and nausea reduction techniques, which then leads to IK animation in a multiplayer PvP environment, etc etc. There's a load of VR work which cascades out of adding character gameplay to ED). Calling it all a Monday afternoon's work is just daft.

About 3 years working on it until release.

The trick is to anchor the bottom of the VR controllers into your armrest as though it was a HOTAS.

But then I'd have to remove my real HOTAS. I probably could use them if I had the inclination to try, but I spent hours driving the vehicles with an XBox controller in pancake mode which worked really well. I just want them to enable the same controller in VR. I can't be bothered to get proficient with the VR controllers for that, I'd rather jump into my E: D ship instead. :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

I havent tried GTAV VR mod, but the Alien Isolation one, eventhough it has indeed given me some dizziness in animations/vibrations and there are a few other glitches like terminal proximity to your face etc, I would still consider it top tier VR to be honest.

All hail Greg!

iu

No, including NO SUPPORT is just daft. Especially in a game engine that supports VR native. It is a Monday's afternoon work. Call it a weekday if you want to be thorough.

Honestly, I expect the bare minimum viable product from Fdev in regards to Elite. Would it be nice to have bells and whistles? Sure. But just give us the MVP and let us deal with it. They haven't been shy about doing it before, so it's silly to start now!

Making sure your product doesn't make people feel ill isn't adding 'bells and whistles'.

They don't just have veterans to consider (either ED ones, or VR ones). No AA+ game hitting the market these days does so without locomotion techniques that mitigate nausea for noobs. It's product suicide to do otherwise.

Anything else that flows on from that is quality control, and their call. Some ED vets may be fine with MVP on those fronts, but again, it doesn't make a particularly compelling product for newcomers. And it seems weird to blame FDev if they want to have an eye on that. IE if they want to launch something better than an MVP on the VR front...

Last edited:
But then I'd have to remove my real HOTAS. I probably could use them if I had the inclination to try, but I spent hours driving the vehicles with an XBox controller in pancake mode which worked really well. I just want them to enable the same controller in VR. I can't be bothered to get proficient with the VR controllers for that, I'd rather jump into my E: D ship instead. :)
I don't see why the xbox controller couldn't work for the FPS content both in VR and flat screen - I would just leave it connected and pick it up when needed (for the hated FSS as well).

All hail Greg!

Source: https://youtu.be/vN2BWY872M8?list=PL3Ym79LECwSIkd3OyJEpy_9PwQEuHew2b&t=521
Well done for digging this out :)

AFAICT:
  • Full VR. The player's avatar has to be mapped and sent across the network, interaction with the environment is another huge issue. This is somewhat challenging, and it seems like this simply isn't planned. The exact mechanics behind traversal is another problem area.
  • VR for flight for Odyssey, pancake-mode used for walking on planet. AFAIK Elite cannot switch between VR/non-VR mode on the fly, so this would be non-trivial.
  • VR for flight in Odyssey, no walking support. This seems the most possible outcome, but if Odyssey content is focused on walking then this may be worse than useless.

I suspect that FDev may revisit VR for the PSVR2 launch, although I have no idea how far away that is.

Back
Top Bottom