VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I'd rather we got an update before launch, and actually the sooner the better... I'm already "voting with my wallet" and not buying from the Frontier store until this is resolved. Tim Smith has said they are aware of our sentiments and will be reviewing the feedback, if the conclusion of the review of the feedback we have given them is that they aren't going to add VR, my flight sticks go on eBay, if the decision arising from the review of the feedback is to add VR to Odessy, I'm preordering it.

I'd rather we got an update before launch, and actually the sooner the better... I'm already "voting with my wallet" and not buying from the Frontier store until this is resolved. Tim Smith has said they are aware of our sentiments and will be reviewing the feedback, if the conclusion of the review of the feedback we have given them is that they aren't going to add VR, my flight sticks go on eBay, if the decision arising from the review of the feedback is to add VR to Odessy, I'm preordering it.
I'm certainly not sinking more cash into ED or Frontier's store either - 'f' them to be honest! I'm pretty angry about the whole affair- ED was such a good showcase for VR, but it's obvious to me this initial push has remained stagnant since then.

You show me an FD dev with a VR headset in their swanky new offices, and I'll show you a lying personage.

Last edited:

There's no way I'm pre-ordering anything, regardless of what is announced. If you'll recall, fleet carriers were announced forever ago, and they're years late. FDev is no different from the rest of the industry when it comes to overpromising and underdelivering. The new industry standard is to promise the moon, give you a petrified turd, and use the public as a QA department after release. They can have my money when they show me they have a product worth purchasing, and that includes VR support.

How would the game transition from K+M/Hotas in VR to first person moving around? Vive controllers?

I'm not surprised VR in walking isn't supported, you expect to get out of your chair when your out of the ship?

EDIT: This also brings FPS combat, have you ever played a FPS in VR? Either everyone is in VR, or no one is.

How would the game transition from K+M/Hotas in VR to first person moving around? Vive controllers?

I'm not surprised VR in walking isn't supported, you expect to get out of your chair when your out of the ship?

EDIT: This also brings FPS combat, have you ever played a FPS in VR? Either everyone is in VR, or no one is.

No reason you can't just take your hands off of the HOTAS and pick up your controllers. I've enjoyed the heck out of more than one seated VR shooter. If you're using K+M, I imagine you'd just keep doing that.

Motion controllers would need to be in I'd think, for a modern release (even though some would prefer K/M / controller etc, and it'd be a no brainer to retain support for those who want them / could stomach them). The key thing would be to have low/no nausea options though at mimimum, and for that you pretty much need controllers.

Lots of people actually play FPSes (and other formats like RPGs etc) sitting down in VR. That might be the path of least resistance for ED. (I prefer to stand, but could get along with it if it was the most pragmatic way to do it. I found myself happily playing the GTAV mod sitting down just because sessions were so long, and the transition between car & foot worked better that way).

NMS actually accommodates both standing and sitting play for both flight & foot gameplay. (Even though the standing UI is borked). I play it standing, because the flight times are much shorter, and it's much more of a Legs game.

Essentially, I don't think it's an insurmountable problem. But the likely solution is to again make sure they have as many player options as possible (M/K, controller, motion controllers etc), and let players settle on their best fit.

There is actually one 'crossplay' PvP out there. Rec Room's scrubby arena shooters ;). (And some co-op shooters like Payday 2 etc)

But yeah, it is kind of virgin territory. And another reason why VR Legs are no shoe in.

Yeah, why not get out of the chair when you're out of the ship? Also, you don't HAVE to include room scale movement. It's just an option. BTW, it's an option ALREADY IN THE GAME. I can get out of the cockpit seat in VR anytime I want and walk around the cockpit.
Have I played an FPS in VR? (Laughs) Yeah bro. Almost every other game in VR is an FPS.
"Either everyone is in VR or no one is." Oh really? No Man's Sky says hi.

All these arguments are so silly. Why defend this?

Yeah, why not get out of the chair when you're out of the ship? Also, you don't HAVE to include room scale movement. It's just an option. BTW, it's an option ALREADY IN THE GAME. I can get out of the cockpit seat in VR anytime I want and walk around the cockpit.
Have I played an FPS in VR? (Laughs) Yeah bro. Almost every other game in VR is an FPS.
"Either everyone is in VR or no one is." Oh really? No Man's Sky says hi.

All these arguments are so silly. Why defend this?

Ok, based on your reply, it's evident you have zero knowledge of development and user accessibility.

So you're expecting the player base to transition from sitting HOTAS/K+M play to standing VR play like it's no big deal?
Yes I'm aware you can do that, as I have VR, however you say you don't need room scale movement, but we both know you need to for getting out of the cockpit, so you kinda contradict yourself.

Ok, based on your reply, it's evident you have zero knowledge of development and user accessibility.

So you're expecting the player base to transition from sitting HOTAS/K+M play to standing VR play like it's no big deal?
Yes I'm aware you can do that, as I have VR, however you say you don't need room scale movement, but we both know you need to for getting out of the cockpit, so you kinda contradict yourself.
You apparently missed most of the pages of this thread were many players are actually asking vr for the flying and driving part only (as it already is now) and would gladly accept a transition to 2d for the fps part of the game

FDev is a corporation now. With the big CHINEESE STAKEHOLDER. We're just an irrelevant number to them. All they do is PR speech now, the passion is long gone, the vision is gone and the OG team is also gone.

DB owns a larger share of Frontier than Tencent.. Add in his 'family' holdings and he still owns quite a serious slab of Frontier. Tencent own less than 10% of the shares and would have little input over management. I don't know why people keep making these claims, when there's plenty of evidence to refute it - unless it's purely an effort to generate racist salt?

Not sure why this seem to be a problem? For consoles that d be a non issue. For PC good old mouse and keyboard would be perfectly ok aswell.
This. I would have no issues with controlling the first person part using K+M (although I fly with a HOTAS). I see how using full motion controllers would be a hassle to switch to. I would also be fine with seated only game-play. Getting into and out of the chair when switching game modes would be a hassle as well and I think most VR users can appreciate that.

DB owns a larger share of Frontier than Tencent.. Add in his 'family' holdings and he still owns quite a serious slab of Frontier. Tencent own less than 10% of the shares and would have little input over management. I don't know why people keep making these claims, when there's plenty of evidence to refute it - unless it's purely an effort to generate racist salt?
Tencent have someone on the board. And all they ever do, and have ever done, is leverage the heck out of whatever influence they have. You cant pretend like they’re a non-issue.

Equally important to their degree of controlling interest in the company, is why Frontier allowed themselves to be partially bought out by such an entity?

Seems like one of the reasons Frontier might be open to such a partnership is because before the buyout, they already wanted to do the kinds of things that TenCent likes to do.

Tencent have someone on the board. And all they ever do, and have ever done, is leverage the heck out of whatever influence they have. You cant pretend like they’re a non-issue.

Equally important to their degree of controlling interest in the company, is why Frontier allowed themselves to be partially bought out by such an entity?

Seems like one of the reasons Frontier might be open to such a partnership is because before the buyout, they already wanted to do the kinds of things that TenCent likes to do.

He's a Non Executive Director who seems to average about 4 board meetings a year (held monthly), isn't on any subcommittees and has an actual job with Tencent. I rather suspect that his influence is limited. What 'buyout'? From the available documents, FDev put out a call for investors, Tencent was one of the entities who responded with cash. Fairly standard swap of stock for cash, with a non-exec seat on the board. Oppenheimer Funds, Swedbank Robur and Canacord Genuity Wealth Mgmt also bought in, where are the complaints about their influence?

I'm not pretending it's a non-issue, I'm looking at the available facts - actual legal documents from FDev. All I see here are hearsay and speculation.

Back
Top Bottom