VR usage across the user base.

I've tried vr and know how awesome it is.. but my setup is dodgy, only running a 10603gb and using psvr with one man drivers.. while it works, they haven't sorted out center drift with it so i don't use it as first choice. If there were other games to play apart from elite on vr (and one unmentionable simulator) id probably not have it packed up.

So no not for me.

The strongest point id like to make is its pretty amazing how elite is probably the best game on vr even today. Haven't tried alyx, but only that would have dethroned elite imo.
VR, like most emerging tech is expensive to start with. Prices will come down and hardware will get better. Pity we are only at the start and not further down the line.

The thing that angers me is that the VR players think another 6 month delay to New Era would be justified so they can do spacelegs VR.

I have never met a more self righteous and selfish group of people. The fact that they would try to delay the New Era to benefit just a tiny <5% speaks volumes of those who spend £500 on a VR set.

The only conclusion is that for the good of the community it is better that we do not have space legs VR so that we can get a quicker release date. For the many not the few.
Wow! Got your Blue Book to hand also?
I'm a VR player and do not think any delay to integrate VR into Odyssey is justified...
Self-righteous? Selfish? Oh, I get it, the people who can afford VR (and a super PC to run it at it's best) are all possessing these fine qualities...

Should this be the point where I ask you if you know what daylight looks like, or know the smell of fresh air?

Last edited:
VR, like most emerging tech is expensive to start with. Prices will come down and hardware will get better. Pity we are only at the start and not further down the line.

Yeah. Also i definitely got my little setup working very well.. Spent about a month tweaking the graphics settings so its quite smooth, even got a somewhat okay keybind to fix the drift...

While its actually cruel how much screen elite screws up the scale, and the vr experience has so much love there... because of the resolution you actually get an odd sense of improvement when going back to 2d so.. yeah i know 2560 and 4k eye panels are coming out.. but that would mean a 1-2k graphics card as well. Not worth it to me for just 1.5 games.

Guys, they made a spaceship game. The "VR" is a glorified headlook function, these always work well with sim-likes. A FPS is a completely different beast. FD have no experience with shooters and on top of that no experience with proper VR utilisation in a shooter neither. It is unreasonable to expect it with the launch.

The strongest point id like to make is its pretty amazing how elite is probably the best game on vr even today. Haven't tried alyx, but only that would have dethroned elite imo.
It's certainly one of the best games.

If you enjoyed combat sims, you would say DCS World is the best VR game in the world, "F15 on an aircraft carrier!"
If you enjoyed racing sims you would say [there are so many cool ones, mine is] AC. "The physics and FFB! I'm actually sitting in the car... at Brands Hatch!"
If your passion is trucking, Euro Truck sim 2 or American Truck sims would be the best VR game.
FPS combat junkies would say Pavlov or Onward.

Basically every single sim game is just better and awesome in VR.

VR is growing.
My sig #NoVRNoBuy is taken straight from the sim community. And the flight community's protest worked for MS Flight Simulator!

And then came HL:A and all HMDs are sold out!

This isn't a post or something to stoke up a flame war but I've been considering this for a few days now. With VR being the "hot issue" around the Odyssey reveal (and I have to admit that this was a surprise) just how prevalent is it? Genuine question.

Some personal context here, I'm on XBOX ONE which means I don't even get the option.

On PC and PS though, is it a lot?
2% of steam users have a PCVR device iirc
(Users.who bought on oculus store may no't be included there (100% VR) nor.those who got direct from FD. But it's prolly not far off (what pc gamer does not have steam?)

Outside of Frontier no one knows is the honest answer. It would not surprise me however if 50% of VR users owned ED. ED has been a top 5 poster child for VR since 2014 (before launch) so the percentage of ED users.with Vr simply has to be higher than steam users with VR

Last edited:
I was quite enthusiastic of VR at first. Then I had to try it.

I have a physical condition that forces me to wear glasses with prisms, this in turn made everything I saw trough VR extremely blurry. I tried taking the glasses of, and it was even worse! Everything was now doubled!
Plus, VR headsets are very uncomfortable when wearing glasses, at least at the time, I don't know now.
Finally, after 10 minutes of playing, I got so sick that I had to remove the helmet and keep still for another 15 minutes. And in this case I'm not alone, everything is fine and dandy when you keep still, once you start "moving" it stops being fun. Granted, your organism might adapt if you keep at it, but for me its simply not worth the nausea.

The final nail in the coffin was when I learned that my rig was simply not enough to run the game at high settings. i7 6600k 4ghz+ 1070GTX + 1tb ssd + 16Gb RAM.

A rig worth 1700 Euros at the time, and still not enough for a mandatory 60fps and high resolution for a good VR experience. Heck, even now with my new 2080RTX super its not enough!

It is then that I understood that VR was not for me.

I hope that VR is not the future of gaming, because if it is, it means it will be a future without me.

And not because I choose to, but because I was not given a choice.

If VR is a nice bonus for those fortunate enough to adopt it, I'm fine with that.
But if it becomes the only solution, I think that is extremely unfair for a lot of people that simply don't have that kind of money, or the optimal physical condition for it.

...The "VR" is a glorified headlook function, these always work well with sim-likes...
This is a question that’s been floating in my head for the past day or so - will headtrackers still function in the EDO period or are they for the chop too? I mean this in the fashion that ARMA uses headtrackers; you still move your mouse to aim but you can also independently move your head to have a look around.

Prior to getting VR in the Summer of Oculus thing, I’d played ED in 3D SBS and was considering getting a tracker for ED as well as ARMA3. I wonder if it would be possible to play games in “Theatre” mode in a HMD but use the headset as the tracker device?

The thing that angers me is that the VR players think another 6 month delay to New Era would be justified so they can do spacelegs VR.
I don't, we've waited long enough already.

I have never met a more self righteous and selfish group of people.
Have we met?

The fact that they would try to delay the New Era to benefit just a tiny <5% speaks volumes of those who spend £500 on a VR set.
Really don't want a delay, but certainly confused as to why FD can't continue to support cockpit VR the way they already do?
VR FPS is a different matter.

The only conclusion is that for the good of the community it is better that we do not have space legs VR so that we can get a quicker release date. For the many not the few.
I actually agree with that, although not your line of reasoning to get there.

I was quite enthusiastic of VR at first. Then I had to try it.

I have a physical condition that forces me to wear glasses with prisms, this in turn made everything I saw trough VR extremely blurry. I tried taking the glasses of, and it was even worse! Everything was now doubled!
Plus, VR headsets are very uncomfortable when wearing glasses, at least at the time, I don't know now.
Finally, after 10 minutes of playing, I got so sick that I had to remove the helmet and keep still for another 15 minutes. And in this case I'm not alone, everything is fine and dandy when you keep still, once you start "moving" it stops being fun. Granted, your organism might adapt if you keep at it, but for me its simply not worth the nausea.

The final nail in the coffin was when I learned that my rig was simply not enough to run the game at high settings. i7 6600k 4ghz+ 1070GTX + 1tb ssd + 16Gb RAM.

A rig worth 1700 Euros at the time, and still not enough for a mandatory 60fps and high resolution for a good VR experience. Heck, even now with my new 2080RTX super its not enough!

It is then that I understood that VR was not for me.

I hope that VR is not the future of gaming, because if it is, it means it will be a future without me.

And not because I choose to, but because I was not given a choice.

If VR is a nice bonus for those fortunate enough to adopt it, I'm fine with that.
But if it becomes the only solution, I think that is extremely unfair for a lot of people that simply don't have that kind of money, or the optimal physical condition for it.
VR won't be THE future (not any time soon anyway) but I hope it will be A future for those who want it

I don't use it all of the time, but I do play in VR regularly.
I suppose I am disappointed with them leaving it out at launch, but understand if it is to get it out the door. I am just unlikely to buy it until it does support VR, unless there is a ton of content outside of legs. However the lack of VR support makes me suspect what Fdev intends for Odyssey is COD on a barren world, and SRV game play without an SRV. If that is so, I understand why they are not going to bother with VR at launch. There would be no content for VR players, and VR players would not be able to compete in PvP in a COD game unless they are one of the few capable of playing VR and using KB&M in the same way as the 2D players would without getting sick. I do hope the terrain upgrades make it into Horizons though. Gonna have to wait and see I guess.

I tried a tech demo during the early days of Oculous dev kit 1. It was a game/program wrapper that was meant to allow you to play any video game you wanted with a HMD. It put you in a room complete with furniture and a huge movie screen. You were seated on a couch and you could play with a KB&M in the same way you normally would on a 2D screen and it did not cause me to get sick. I believe they had Quake 3/Live playing on it and were also watching Youtube on it. Does anyone remember the name of that software, or if it is available anywhere? Yes, it would be somewhat immersion breaking, but, better than nothing....

I have never met a more self righteous and selfish group of people. The fact that they would try to delay the New Era to benefit just a tiny <5% speaks volumes of those who spend £500 on a VR set.

Do you have anything to back that up or are you just lying .......?
What angers me is that some people think it is fine to hurl insults and lies at people already stinging at losing the game
The funny thing is IF in some unlikely scenario oculus dropped a few 10s of millions of £s to make ED Odyssey a vr exclusive only , unlike people like you I would equally be championing flat screen support because I do not want anyone's chosen hardware to be dropped.

FD can do what they like with their software and users can complain.... People like you however are bang out of order. ED won't I am certain on it have some unicorn feature than multiple other games haven't gotten working just fine in VR before often when playing along side monitor games

NMS does it, payday 2 does it it's possible serious Sam does it but I have still not got around to installing it yet

Last edited:
Do you have anything to back that up or are you just lying .......?
What angers me is that some people think it is fine to hurl insults and lies at people already stinging at losing the game
The funny thing is IF in some unlikely scenario oculus dropped a few 10s of millions of £s to make ED Odyssey a vr exclusive only , unlike people like you I would equally be championing flat screen support because I do not want anyone's chosen hardware to be dropped.

FD can do what they like with their software and users can complain.... People like you however are bang out of order. ED won't I am certain on it have some unicorn feature than multiple other games haven't gotten working just fine in VR before often when playing along side monitor games

NMS does it, payday 2 does it

I have read on the reveal thread in news plenty of comments allegedly from VR users stating that they'd rather have no DLC than one that has no VR. Make of it what you will.

I've also read comments stating that its the fault of no VR users beacause they are too poor to buy a decent VR kit, or something along that nature. :/

I don't use it all of the time, but I do play in VR regularly.
I suppose I am disappointed with them leaving it out at launch, but understand if it is to get it out the door. I am just unlikely to buy it until it does support VR, unless there is a ton of content outside of legs. However the lack of VR support makes me suspect what Fdev intends for Odyssey is COD on a barren world, and SRV game play without an SRV. If that is so, I understand why they are not going to bother with VR at launch. There would be no content for VR players, and VR players would not be able to compete in PvP in a COD game unless they are one of the few capable of playing VR and using KB&M in the same way as the 2D players would without getting sick. I do hope the terrain upgrades make it into Horizons though. Gonna have to wait and see I guess.

I tried a tech demo during the early days of Oculous dev kit 1. It was a game/program wrapper that was meant to allow you to play any video game you wanted with a HMD. It put you in a room complete with furniture and a huge movie screen. You were seated on a couch and you could play with a KB&M in the same way you normally would on a 2D screen and it did not cause me to get sick. I believe they had Quake 3/Live playing on it and were also watching Youtube on it. Does anyone remember the name of that software, or if it is available anywhere? Yes, it would be somewhat immersion breaking, but, better than nothing....
Big Screen is one I’ve used to play flatscreen games with - there are a variety of venues to choose, you can even play on an imax sized cinema :)

You could also just bring up the Oculus menu thing and play from the Desktop view, you could either be in the Matrix-style loading void or in one of your Home settings (though that would be an additional resource hit.

I might try playing in the white void Desktop view on a large curved screen, see what it’s like...

I have read on the reveal thread in news plenty of comments allegedly from VR users stating that they'd rather have no DLC than one that has no VR. Make of it what you will.

I've also read comments stating that its the fault of no VR users beacause they are too poor to buy a decent VR kit, or something along that nature. :/
I have seen neither of those things myself.
I have seen people saying they won't play it without VR (I. Likely one of them) but that is not the same as saying they don't want others to play it without VR

And as for the people too poor. Anyone saying that is a pillock and needs a gibbs style.slap on the head

This is a question that’s been floating in my head for the past day or so - will headtrackers still function in the EDO period or are they for the chop too? I mean this in the fashion that ARMA uses headtrackers; you still move your mouse to aim but you can also independently move your head to have a look around.

Prior to getting VR in the Summer of Oculus thing, I’d played ED in 3D SBS and was considering getting a tracker for ED as well as ARMA3. I wonder if it would be possible to play games in “Theatre” mode in a HMD but use the headset as the tracker device?
I doubt there would be a seperate "headlook" in the "leg mode" so it would need to set the headtracker / VR device as input device. Whether that is possible in the options I don't know. Theoretically it should work somehow - I believe there are tools that can translate inputs to virtual input devices and feed those to other programs.

Back
Top Bottom