Wasteland 2 discussion thread

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Ditto. It seems great from the storytelling point of view, graphics are nice for the eye, but I have to say that combat encounters seem bit shallow - but I got used to it pretty quickly. One has to remember it's an RPG rather than tactical game.

The only let down for me is the fact that the main attributes (strength, awarness etc.) have no effect on the skills whatsoever. So a character could have 1 point in charisma and still be good at conversation skills.

That socks big time. But other than that I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. It's got a great story and loads of atmosphere. I'm still not very far into it so I cannot offer a 'review' yet, but I'd definitely recommend it if you're into the genre and/or liked the original or the Fallout series.

When you say the Fallout series which one Fallout or Fallout 2 because both games are different in scope Fallout was on a time and very story driven while Fallout 2 has more freedoms and very sandboxy :)

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
When you say the Fallout series which one Fallout or Fallout 2 because both games are different in scope Fallout was on a time and very story driven while Fallout 2 has more freedoms and very sandboxy :)

So far (early game) I'd say more Fallout 1 than 2.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
So far (early game) I'd say more Fallout 1 than 2.

Yeah, definitely Fallout 1 in early game. Very story driven, but it's a good story so far, no complaints!

Oh, BTW....

!SPOILER ALERT!

Did anyone pressed the red button on the Nuke in the Citadel? :D

Jenner

I'm wondering if I didn't choose my party so well, though. I'm just now done with the Highpool/Ag Center plots and a couple of other minor quests and have returned to Ranger HQ. At this point I have seen a lot of combat and am beginning to see some shortcomings:

I selected from the character presets because I'm lazy rolling my own and I like the idea of RPing some existing people. I took two ranged people (Hex & Pills) and two melee (Slick & Bert). I have to say that I'm seriously underwhelmed by the performance of the melee in this game so far. Bert is....ok. He's skilled at blunt weapons and that can work alright depending. I was intending him to be my tank and I suppose he's at least fulfilling that by aggroing, but sometimes it's hard to pin down enemies since Bert moves like a snail going uphill.

Slick I took primarily for his barter & communication, but now I'm seeing that he's a bit useless. Bladed weapons are a big yawn. He barely does any damage, and he really gets beaten up frequently so he's not a good tank. The only plus side is that he can hit multiple times per turn since the AP cost of the knife is so low. Even so, disappointing damage/turn from wielding a butter knife, so he's essentially worthless in combat.

So I've turned to pumping up his leadership and communication skills instead and holding him back from combat entirely.

At least I've picked up a couple of NPCs for the party who are much better at combat and are carrying their own weight. :)

This game has fallen during a very busy gaming period for me.

Currently mid way through Divinity OS, just got PS4 with destiny , Fifa 15 on Friday and Shadows of Mordor the following week, its like being 14 again!

However, I did fit in an hour the other night and although visually it looked a bit rough around the edges, the story and immersion is there, which for me is always the most important thing.

I actually feel more immersed in W2 than with Divinity OS just from that small stint.

Character creation is good fun too, you get very attached to your rangers.

I'm not sure what I should do if someone dies though, can you recruit others?, do you carry on without them?, or just go back to a previous save?

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
This game has fallen during a very busy gaming period for me.

Currently mid way through Divinity OS, just got PS4 with destiny , Fifa 15 on Friday and Shadows of Mordor the following week, its like being 14 again!

However, I did fit in an hour the other night and although visually it looked a bit rough around the edges, the story and immersion is there, which for me is always the most important thing.

I actually feel more immersed in W2 than with Divinity OS just from that small stint.

Character creation is good fun too, you get very attached to your rangers.

I'm not sure what I should do if someone dies though, can you recruit others?, do you carry on without them?, or just go back to a previous save?

You can recruit new rangers in the wastes (party can count up to 7 people). Someone in WL2 forums has also suggested to go back to Main Menu, create a new character and Export it (it will then make it available for party inclusion below the vanilla pre-created characters). Exporting a character apparently makes them available for hire in Rangers Citadel, but I don't know if this is actually the case, as I've never tried it.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
So, after nearly 40 hours into the game I must say I am disappointed with Wasteland 2. I admit it is partially my own fault, as I think I was expecting a slightly different game to what the developers' vision was and didn't do a proper research when buying the game. Bear in mind I did all the available side quests and the main quest up to the first mission in Prison. This took me nearly 40 hrs, so I took it slowly and didn't rush things. And so the below review is based on that experience. This is only MY opinion though, your experience may be totally different!

First of all let me say that Wasteland 2 is not a bad game at all. It gets a lot of things right and I like many aspects of the game. Character creation, combat, graphics, writing and humour - all these things are spot on! It is one of the not many games that I actually wrote my characters' bios - just for fun and my own benefit!

Just briefly about the good things:

- Character creation is fun. Especially if you download custom portraits from the web. For some strange reason you can really feel the link between you and the characters you create. The lack of any correlation between skills and attributes is a slight letdown though.
- Combat could be fun! The mechanics are well designed, fit the game and are fun to use. Sadly, the potential is not fully utilised in the actual game (read on to find out why I think so).
- The graphics are good. The locations are nicely done, with many details and they can be really big and fun to roam in (totally apart from the random encounter ones - read on).
- Writing quality is great! The people that wrote the script did really good job overall, the conversations were interesting and fun to go through.
- Humour - likewise, I laughed many times, great writing!

What kills the game for me is the lack of tactical options during fights, lack of location variety and the story itself.

You spend a lot of time travelling on the World Map and a lot of random encounters occur during these travels. The encounters quickly become boring due to small in size and repeatable in variety locations and lack of tactical choices. The maps aren't very big. Most of the times your party starts very close to the enemy so you have little or no time to place the characters in strategic locations to prepare for the fight, which starts very quickly after the map is loaded. Your characters can go into Cover mode, but there aren't many objects on the maps to actually use cover mode effectively. The locations repeat all the time and after a while you know them inside out. I think there are only about 6 or 7 locations I kept coming across, it's a big immersion breaker to me. The combat mechanics are fine themselves, it's just the lack of interesting environment to utilise these mechanics in that's the problem. It takes away all the joy and excitement from the fights and turns them into a boring chore in my opinion.

Now, the story. It is well written, there are a lot of things to talk about with the people you come across in the Wastes. And yet strangely it's not very engaging. Parts of it are great (I really enjoyed Highpool and Rail Nomads stories a lot must say!) but all in all it didn't really dragged me in... Like I said I did all the things that can be done until entering the Prison for the first time and for some reason I don't really feel like continuing. I am just not interested enough to find out what happens next.

If you put together all the above aspects I described, Wasteland 2 becomes boring, unimmersive and rather dull experience all in all sadly, despite all the things it got right. I have now uninstalled it and I'm not sure if I'll give it another chance in the future.

Like I said in the beginning, it is partially my own fault for not doing much research about WL2. I have fond memories about WL1 and Fallout games and I think I was expecting a modern version of Fallout 1 or 2 - while I received a slightly better version of Wasteland 1 with modern graphics - or at least this is my impression.

Jenner

@rootsrat

Wow...you summed up my feelings pretty exactly!

I, too, have lost interest in the game despite being very excited for it and spending a dozen or so hours on it. I think I've stopped just a little bit before you (finished Highpool and Rail Nomads, plus some of the side quests at the beginning like investigating Darwin Village).

The combat gets way boring after awhile, yes, and I do agree with the complaint you have about the limited random encounter maps. The story, while engaging to start, has become dull for me. I'm also sick of the very limited color palette of the game. Browns browns and more browns. (Incidentally I have the same complaint about Fallout 3). By itself that's not a huge deal, but it does make me less interested in exploring the game when I know they're all pretty much the same.

Top Bottom