We have a dream

Sorry, not a good idea on any level considered. You already have universal limpets, so specific types of controllers make sense - they are an equivalent of specific tools for specific jobs and I don't see how making them all become one thing will make anything better, more logical or more fun.

Happy for you to believe this. However, looks like this thread and the dozens on the same topic that preceded it paint a very different picture of everyone else's opinion.

The reason I ask is that it may not be as easy as people think. If you go with firegroups then the UI would need changing to reflect different functions for a single module, something it's not capable of right now. Also, the UI would need to may it clear at a glance which function is selected in which firegroup. I suspect this is actually quite challenging.

Why? we have several scanners which are just fitted to every ship, they are set up as firegroups, not sure why you would need to change the UI to reflect anything.

A slight problem with this approach is that prospector limpets work completely differently to the others when it comes to firing them when you already have the maximum out -

Yes, but this doesn't matter - when you have a prospector limpet controller fitted, fire the maximum out, then fire a collector limpet, it doesn't make a difference does it.

All this "Limpet rack" would do is allow you to fit multiple limpet controllers into one slot, they would work in exactly the same way as limpets do now, just, you need to use less slots to fit them.

And don't you think that would completely change the balance of the entire game in an unprecedented way? Since suddenly everyone could carry all 'kinds' of limpets on any ship, being at once miner, pirate, hacker etc - it would diminish the difference between outfits and roles severely.

Limpet type does not define a role. You need many, many other things to be a proficient miner, or pirate, or xenohunter. As it is now, it is simply an artificial hindrance to gameplay, like when I bump into a megaship that would require 3 different kinds of limpets to interact with.

It's simply that, when they first had the idea of a "limpet controller", they had no clue they'd eventually introduce so many different kinds. Now it has quite simply sipiralled out of control. There's no plausible gameplay or lore reason for the status quo.

Yes, but this doesn't matter - when you have a prospector limpet controller fitted, fire the maximum out, then fire a collector limpet, it doesn't make a difference does it.

All this "Limpet rack" would do is allow you to fit multiple limpet controllers into one slot, they would work in exactly the same way as limpets do now, just, you need to use less slots to fit them.
Limpet rack, sure, no problem. The idea that bit was replying to was dynamically setting the limpet types through fire groups, which is slightly different

And don't you think that would completely change the balance of the entire game in an unprecedented way? Since suddenly everyone could carry all 'kinds' of limpets on any ship, being at once miner, pirate, hacker etc - it would diminish the difference between outfits and roles severely.
Which balance?!
Anyway, you don't become a miner by having a limpet.
You also need a refinery, cargo space, 4 different kinds of mining tools and a DSS. Most of this stuff wasn't available at release, the balance already is completely changed.

The reason I ask is that it may not be as easy as people think. If you go with firegroups then the UI would need changing to reflect different functions for a single module, something it's not capable of right now. Also, the UI would need to may it clear at a glance which function is selected in which firegroup. I suspect this is actually quite challenging.

It isn't, I think. The universal limpet controller would be like a hangar bay, with different slots. Whatever is in the slots end up in the fire group window.

Yeah, I realised I was overthinking it. Even mocked up a graphic for it :)

Honestly, I made this thread (and others before) because I believe that it is possibly the ONE addition to the game which not only is sorely needed, but also relatively simple to implement and fairly uncontroversial.

There's people who don't want spacelegs, for example, but I honestly cannot imagine why you would not want a rethinking of the limpet system. It would make the game more playable, and more sense to boot.

Moreover, Frontier themselves suggested they were looking into it, over a year ago.

After that, radio silence.

Honestly, I made this thread (and others before) because I believe that it is possibly the ONE addition to the game which not only is sorely needed, but also relatively simple to implement and fairly uncontroversial.

There's people who don't want spacelegs, for example, but I honestly cannot imagine why you would not want a rethinking of the limpet system. It would make the game more playable, and more sense to boot.

Moreover, Frontier themselves suggested they were looking into it, over a year ago.

This is one of the 'suggestions' in the forum I could get behind wholeheartedly - it makes perfect sense to me.
Great suggestion :)

I actually quite like Ian Doncaster's suggestion. Instead of just one Universal Limpet controller (which might be a tad extreme), boil it down to about three that are function-based.

But at this stage just going for a single does-it-all one works for me as well :)

I actually quite like Ian Doncaster's suggestion. Instead of just one Universal Limpet controller (which might be a tad extreme), boil it down to about three that are function-based.

But at this stage just going for a single does-it-all one works for me as well :)

I'd put my signature down right now if we could get 2 or 3 specialized ones. :)

Top Bottom