We have Notoriety - Why not fame?

Again, what you describe is not really fame, it is more akin to the proposed karma system.
You can be famous for being first to make contact with the thargoids, but that doesn't colour you villain or hero.

No disagreement there. I'm looking at the OP from another perspective. I think the status rankings in combat, exploration, and trading convey various degrees of fame. I'm looking for something that transcends factions and superpowers.

It's a big galaxy, and I think there's room to introduce a mechanic that adds another dimension to PvP beyond the usual grind. My posts here are similar to my thoughts in the bounty hunting thread.

You ask a valid question.

Thanks, I certainly think so.

Here are a few ways fame (or what I think could be called "honor") could be calculated and tracked:

Community Goals: By delivering food and medical supplies, for example.
Mission Goals: Certain rewards could be tweaked to allow for points that count toward honor (similar to Reputation or Influence). However, this could be more problematic since mission goals are often zero sum affairs where helping one faction hurts a rival faction.
Search and Rescue: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits for returning escape pods, for example.
Bounty hunting: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits for knocking out a criminal (e.g., Batman and Commissioner Gordon).
Exploration: Discovery of earth-like worlds; receive fame in lieu of credits.

Ok, again, I feel like the problem here is -

-Community goals, well, many, many commanders do these. They aren't "special" in any way. Getting famous for just standard game elements doesn't really work, as everyone is famous.

-The same with missions - and remember, currently, when you might otherwise get notoriety for actions performed on dodgy missions, you actually don't, it is removed - basically for this same reason.

- Search and Rescue - this is a possibility. It is a very specific action - my issue with this though, would be that there would in my opinion need to be a way to track helping a player who has say, run out of fuel, or needs their hull repairing etc. - This brings up a problem - you can just damage your hull, then get someone to repair it pretty easily. I'm not that for removing possibly nice gameplay elements just because people may exploit it, and I think it is likely true that you could do similar with notoriety - however, notoriety is a "Negative" effect - while there are cases where players want notoriety (kudos, they just wanna play with ATR) this isn't the norm, and it has no direct benefits - fame appears to be linked to benefits in this proposal, making this an odd method.

-Bounty hunting is the most obvious inversion of Notoriety - because you are destroying wanted ships, with notoriety you are destroying clean ships, polar opposites - however, this has the same problem as many of the other suggestions - Everyone does this (some miniscule exceptions) so everyone is famous for playing in a standard way.

-Exploration, I mean, this just sounds like your elite ranking for exploration. It doesn't match up well with the notoriety concept either.

Personally, I feel like Notoriety should have only applied to player vs player Illegal killing - in this way, you could have had "fame" or "honour" for player vs player legal bounty hunting very easily, and it would have made perfect sense.

As it is, trying to cram this fame idea into NPC interactions is just adding another counter onto what everyone already does.

-Bounty hunting is the most obvious inversion of Notoriety - because you are destroying wanted ships, with notoriety you are destroying clean ships, polar opposites - however, this has the same problem as many of the other suggestions - Everyone does this (some miniscule exceptions) so everyone is famous for playing in a standard way.

Bounty hunting is not something that makes you a good guy, it is tolerated by the cops, as you have to scan before engaging, or are helping out by killing a clearly wanted CMDR.
Bounty hunters are like pirates in most cases, only that the cops are happy you ease their job.

Personally, I feel like Notoriety should have only applied to player vs player Illegal killing - in this way, you could have had "fame" or "honour" for player vs player legal bounty hunting very easily, and it would have made perfect sense.

As it is, trying to cram this fame idea into NPC interactions is just adding another counter onto what everyone already does.

Well the thing is, adding in what is described here as "fame" or "honour" would just add another arbitrary counter
to the game, with 0 impact on gameplay. There is already at least a single API add-in that does what is written above,
it tracks your clean/wanted states when scanned by the players with the add-in.
It adds some flair, but that is it.
Notoriety is a meter for how strong police interest is and if special forces attack or not,
so that has ties in the game.

If you wanted to add in "fame" for real, these would be special achievements that only 1 CMDR in the whole community can have,
basically elite's version of guiness records.

Bounty hunting is not something that makes you a good guy, it is tolerated by the cops, as you have to scan before engaging, or are helping out by killing a clearly wanted CMDR.
Bounty hunters are like pirates in most cases, only that the cops are happy you ease their job.

.......etc

Yep, I pretty much agree. I just don't think a fame thing works, or is worth it.

-Community goals, well, many, many commanders do these. They aren't "special" in any way. Getting famous for just standard game elements doesn't really work, as everyone is famous.

-The same with missions - and remember, currently, when you might otherwise get notoriety for actions performed on dodgy missions, you actually don't, it is removed - basically for this same reason.

I think Community Goals could compensate for that … specific missions, with "fame"/"honor" rewards only for a select few. Could be the top 1% for example. There are Credit Payouts based on tiering, so I could imagine the system could accomodate this.

Fame is something that doesn't wrap up well with code and mechanics.
Notoriety only works, as it is tied to murdering people and cops getting the info on that,
to change their response times and strength.
Fame and Infamy works without ingame ties, and only applies to players.
Wouldn't fame just be allied with a faction? I mean, whenever you go and see a faction you're allied to, they say stuff like: "I heard the cheers when new of your return broke CMDR"
But then they tell you to "help us by completing any of the contracts listed below"
Fame is just when more people offer to pay you more for menial tasks :cautious:

- Search and Rescue - this is a possibility. It is a very specific action - my issue with this though, would be that there would in my opinion need to be a way to track helping a player who has say, run out of fuel, or needs their hull repairing etc. - This brings up a problem - you can just damage your hull, then get someone to repair it pretty easily. I'm not that for removing possibly nice gameplay elements just because people may exploit it, and I think it is likely true that you could do similar with notoriety - however, notoriety is a "Negative" effect - while there are cases where players want notoriety (kudos, they just wanna play with ATR) this isn't the norm, and it has no direct benefits - fame appears to be linked to benefits in this proposal, making this an odd method.
And murdering NPCs or commanders isn't specific?

Bounty hunting doesn't do anything - yes, it gives you credits, and XP if you aren't Elite yet, but beyond that, not more than trading or exploring.

The idea of fame would be to reward a helpful or heroic commander in some ways.
Give them better missions, or discount for trading, etc.

Nothing really game breaking, but something where the comms chatter "An Ally like you is always welcome" followed "docking denied" wouldn't be seen, and the Ally would have an effect on the game.
Yes, you get some better paying missions, but that's not because you are famous, but because you have donated 20m "to the cause" and "in the name of democracy" and they all like you now. That doesn't make you famous. That is literally just "pay to get your money back in shorter period of time".

Rule #1: Without hope, without witnesses, without recognition.
There are always "witnesses". You could be shooting the lone Sidey in the middle of nowhere, cops will be on site within a minute or less.

Same with helping people - you help, there are the invisible witnesses.

There are always "witnesses". You could be shooting the lone Sidey in the middle of nowhere, cops will be on site within a minute or less.

Same with helping people - you help, there are the invisible witnesses.
I think NPC's have "reprt crimes against me" turned on by default.

Top Bottom