We have Notoriety - Why not fame?

You know the most awesome thing about crime and punishment? Blows my mind that they actually approved building it over even bug fixes...

All the depth, all the complexity, the rules, the new station assets, the functionality, the documentation, everything....

Was only for a negative impact on the player. 100% possible feature output to player being bad things. Exclusively bad.

That is really really special needs stuff how frontier didnt notice that or didn't have a problem with that if they did. Really something.

Seems like almost everyone would be super famous pretty quickly by just being a normal commander.

People get notoriety by destroying clean ships - which is a fairly small portion of the gameplay.
Fame would decay at the same rate as does notoriety.
If you want to be a goodie 2shoes, yes, you'd be famous. Go mining for a few days and people forget all about you. Currently they have no idea who you are to begin with.

You mean that billionaire, flying that massive fleet carrier? Never heard of him.
That guy who supplied meds to the planet with an outbreak? Who is he?
That guy who saved the stranded wedding barge by refueling? That's nice. Still no idea!
That guy who rescued 200 people floating in space, left for dead? uhuhm. shrug

That guy who shot an unarmed commander in a sidewinder? GET HIM!

You mean like free ARX?
No, not Arx. Other benefits. Access to a station section with better missions for example.
Need to have a Fame Rank 1, 2 or 3 or above and the missions pay better, you get more engineering mats as rewards for example, or more rep/influence for a faction.
Or even a discount, if you are a famous trader.

Fame would decay at the same rate as does notoriety.
If you want to be a goodie 2shoes, yes, you'd be famous. Go mining for a few days and people forget all about you. Currently they have no idea who you are to begin with.

You mean that billionaire, flying that massive fleet carrier? Never heard of him.
That guy who supplied meds to the planet with an outbreak? Who is he?
That guy who saved the stranded wedding barge by refueling? That's nice. Still no idea!
That guy who rescued 200 people floating in space, left for dead? uhuhm. shrug

That guy who shot an unarmed commander in a sidewinder? GET HIM!

I'm not against the idea - I just don't see how you are either going to track some specific "good" action - the solution appears to be to track many "good actions"

Of which, 90% of the mission appears to full-fill.

This would basically make any commander who runs missions a "hero"
If everyone is famous, no one is.

I'm not against the idea - I just don't see how you are either going to track some specific "good" action - the solution appears to be to track many "good actions"

Of which, 90% of the mission appears to full-fill.

This would basically make any commander who runs missions a "hero"
If everyone is famous, no one is.
Fetch missions - nothing
Ferry missions - nope
Assassination missions - Nope
Massacre missions - Nope
Just trading - nope

Donation missions - Maybe?
Rescue people from a burning station - Yes

investigate USS on your own, like combat aftermath, or distress call, find and rescue people in need.
Collect occupied escape pods and personal effects - pays rubbish as it is atm, but now you'd have a good reason to do that.

If you want to be a hero/famous, you gotta work for it.

You know the most awesome thing about crime and punishment? Blows my mind that they actually approved building it over even bug fixes...

All the depth, all the complexity, the rules, the new station assets, the functionality, the documentation, everything....

Was only for a negative impact on the player. 100% possible feature output to player being bad things. Exclusively bad.

That is really really special needs stuff how frontier didnt notice that or didn't have a problem with that if they did. Really something.
What part of "Crime and Punishment" made you think it was designed to reward players?

And while this may come as a surprise, mitigating disruptive player behavior is not "all bad". Because it's designed to punish these behaviors. Which are negative for other players. "Really something", indeed.

We already have fame of sorts, do missions for factions, increase your standing with faction, get better missions and payouts.

Well, they certainly SHOULD include fame. After all, a number of stations report that they are honored by my presence, therefore it should include perks, like free beer, cookies, etc.

Free? How many hours/week are you spending earning "free" ARX?

I think I have 500 since ARX came out but I'm not sure, I don't count hours or ARX so that's something I would have to waste time better used for doing other things, so I'm not doing it.

Fame is something that doesn't wrap up well with code and mechanics.
Notoriety only works, as it is tied to murdering people and cops getting the info on that,
to change their response times and strength.
Fame and Infamy works without ingame ties, and only applies to players.

Give positive outcomes for notoriety, then we can talk.

There's already too much incentive for being a good guy, it's why there's barely any negative states.

How do you record the "helping others" part.

What action specifically should the game track?

You ask a valid question.

This idea of fame (or what I think could be called "honor") seems to be a boost to player reputation that is not bound to a particular system, faction, or superpower.

What we have now is a system which runs from "Clean" to "Wanted". I'd think of "Clean" as "0" on the scale, and "Wanted" as negative range. Adding "Fame" would be expanding the spectrum into a positive range.

Currently, players can complete missions and receive various rewards; the player can opt for credits, influence, reputation, materials, etc. Here are a few ways fame (or what I think could be called "honor") could be calculated and tracked:

Community Goals: By delivering food and medical supplies, for example.
Mission Goals: Certain rewards could be tweaked to allow for points that count toward honor (similar to Reputation or Influence). However, this could be more problematic since mission goals are often zero sum affairs where helping one faction hurts a rival faction.
Search and Rescue: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits for returning escape pods, for example.
Bounty hunting: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits for knocking out a criminal (e.g., Batman and Commissioner Gordon).
Exploration: Discovery of earth-like worlds; receive fame in lieu of credits.

Of the above, I think Community Goals would be the best way to provide Fame. But I would argue receiving Fame would be at the expense of a material payout. In other words, if you are looking to play the "fame game", you would not receive anything else of value as a reward.

Last edited:
You ask a valid question.

This idea of fame (or what I think could be called "honor") seems to be a boost to player reputation that is not bound to a particular system, faction, or superpower.

Currently, players can complete missions and receive various rewards; the player can opt for credits, influence, reputation, materials, etc.

What we have now is a system which runs from "Clean" to "Wanted". I'd think of "Clean" as "0" on the scale, and "Wanted" as negative range. Adding "Fame" would be expanding the spectrum into a positive range.

Here are a few ways fame (or what I think could be called "honor") could be calculated and tracked:

Community Goals: By delivering food and medical supplies, for example.
Mission Goals: Certain rewards could be tweaked to allow for points that count toward honor (similar to Reputation or Influence). However, this could more problematic since mission goals are often zero sum affairs where helping one faction is at the expense of a rival faction.
Search and Rescue: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits.
Bounty hunting: Receive "fame" (or honor) points in lieu of credits for knocking out a criminal (e.g., Batman and Commissioner Gordon).
Exploration: Discovery of earth-like worlds; receive fame in lieu of credits.

Of the above, I think Community Goals would be the tweak would be the community goals.

I would say that anything that bestows fame would have to sacrifice a material payout. In other words, if you are looking to play the "fame game", you would not receive anything else of value as a reward.

That would only result in "Fame" being another word for "reputation" with the owning or mission issuing faction.
Fame and Infamy is something that spans society and is not a local only thing.
Think of it more as achievements, something that generates reputation on a larger scale (like superpowers),
by doing deeds that are very hard for others to achieve.
This all doesn't wrap up into code, 'cuz code makes it grindable.

But honestly, fame is awarded for singular tasks, not "common" tasks like the above mentioned examples.
You get famous and infamous for records and achievements.

That would only result in "Fame" being another word for "reputation" with the owning or mission issuing faction.
Fame and Infamy is something that spans society and is not a local only thing.
Think of it more as achievements, something that generates reputation on a larger scale (like superpowers),
by doing deeds that are very hard for others to achieve.
This all doesn't wrap up into code, 'cuz code makes it grindable.

But honestly, fame is awarded for singular tasks, not "common" tasks like the above mentioned examples.
You get famous and infamous for records and achievements.

I don't necessarily disagree, which is why I think the best way to incorporate such a change would be via Community Goals.

I don't necessarily disagree, which is why I think the best way to incorporate such a change would be via Community Goals.

Nope. CGs are not qualified to appeal to all players, as they are not designed so every job can participate,
as the goal is onesided by means of trade or bounties.
Even then it'd just be a grind. In this game fame is out of the game ;)

Nope. CGs are not qualified to appeal to all players, as they are not designed so every job can participate,
as the goal is onesided by means of trade or bounties.
Even then it'd just be a grind. In this game fame is out of the game ;)

I think an argument could be made to come up with some new Community Goals.

We already have a system rewarding exploration, combat, and trade. And there is a system to handle crime and punishment.

A non-material reward for pursuing acts of heroism could also provide additional roleplays for PvP activity.

I think beyond "Elite", "Clean" and "Wanted", a galactic Hero <=====> Villain spectrum could introduce roleplay opportunities for PvP. Maybe some players could be motivated by achieving "Villain" status. Perhaps Community Goals could also include a "dark side" component to increase a player's villainy, for example.

Again, what you describe is not really fame, it is more akin to the proposed karma system.
You can be famous for being first to make contact with the thargoids, but that doesn't colour you villain or hero.

Top Bottom