We meed some sort of update for Consoles

I get that, but I'm of the opinion that "nothing to announce" is no longer enough. Even if it is not good news, no news is better than none at all.

But in all fairness, your opinion doesn't matter to them right now, and I'm not trying to be mean.

If they wanted to give news they would, but asking the same thing week in, week out, is just a waste of your time and effort - they aren't suddenly going to repeat the same thing because you've asked again.

It'll happen when it happens. It's harsh on consolers, I totally agree with this sentiment, but you might as well find a brick wall to smash your head into really, as you'll probably get more information that way from going bonkers.

Sorry man, but it just is what it is. It's crap, but that's life at times.

"Capitalisation of development costs on game developments and game technology accounted for £15.8 million in the six months to 30 November 2021 (H1 FY21: £13.1 million). The percentage of gross research and development costs which were capitalised in the period was 71%, lower than the 83% recorded for H1 FY21 as more development staff were working on free updates (as opposed to chargeable content) during the recent period, notably the ongoing post-release support for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. Frontier's normal expectations for capitalisation is 70-90% of gross development spending."

My take:

They can't afford to keep throwing money at the PC version of Odyssey, that they will never make back with new game sales on PC sales alone. This has to come to console so that they can capitalise on the development cost, but that is some way off and basically a write off until the next financial quarter. Their stock price took a hammering as a result of this news.

If they don't bring Odyssey to console, the future of the game is bleak unless they can massively improve PC sales, or release some chargeable content for the PC market. They also need to get new players in as the LEPers won't contribute anything to offset development costs over and above Arx spend.

** IMO every player should be concerned about the ongoing silence on plans for Odyssey on console, as it has implications for the future of the game. **

o7
It leaves it a bit ambiguous what "free updates" mean in this case, if they mean the updates for the screwed up release of Odyssey, in order to get the game into a playable state?

And if they don't throw money at the development to fix up Odyssey on PC, it won't make it to console, which would mean the past few years of development would have been a lot of wasted time, money and effort.

LEP players will hang around for a while, considering they already paid for all the extra content to come. (Little as it may be). Having said that, they have already contributed a lot more than any current player. One LEP pass was the value of 10 Horizon expansions at the time. Even with a higher paid content price (disregarding its functionality, viability or content), a LEP player (or early backer) would have contributed about 3 paid DLCs worth. (One DLC valued at $60 AUD and the LEP was about $200AUD).
With that said, it would take 2 more paid DLCs before a LEP or early backer will make bank.

So it's not like LEP players or early backers are here for a free ride, they have paid their ticket and are waiting to get their money's worth. Plus of course the money spent on ARX.

Sure console sales will be a fair chunk of income, something one wouldn't want to miss out on, but unlike on PC, they can't release an unfinished product like EDO.
I know, no game is 100% bug free, even the original Donkey Kong arcade game just crashes after level 87 out of 100. Never got fixed, still there. Some bugs will make it even to console. But there is a difference in a few bugs vs the game not getting over 30FPS on your average hardware.

But OP doesn't want to hear what FD are telling him! He's fed up with FD telling him that they have nothing to announce.

I think at this point FD should pull a CIG and just post some technobabble to fob off everyone who keeps asking.
"We're just reticulating the splines, then we'll be able to release on consoles! Keep that kickstarter money coming!"

I get that, but I'm of the opinion that "nothing to announce" is no longer enough. Even if it is not good news, no news is better than none at all.
But they literally give you that on every stream. "We have nothing new to announce, we are still working on getting the PC version right before we shift back over to console development". That is the news. The reason why it doesn't change is because it hasn't changed yet, but y'all ask "are we there yet" every time FDev says something publicly.

It leaves it a bit ambiguous what "free updates" mean in this case, if they mean the updates for the screwed up release of Odyssey, in order to get the game into a playable state?

And if they don't throw money at the development to fix up Odyssey on PC, it won't make it to console, which would mean the past few years of development would have been a lot of wasted time, money and effort.

LEP players will hang around for a while, considering they already paid for all the extra content to come. (Little as it may be). Having said that, they have already contributed a lot more than any current player. One LEP pass was the value of 10 Horizon expansions at the time. Even with a higher paid content price (disregarding its functionality, viability or content), a LEP player (or early backer) would have contributed about 3 paid DLCs worth. (One DLC valued at $60 AUD and the LEP was about $200AUD).
With that said, it would take 2 more paid DLCs before a LEP or early backer will make bank.

So it's not like LEP players or early backers are here for a free ride, they have paid their ticket and are waiting to get their money's worth. Plus of course the money spent on ARX.

Sure console sales will be a fair chunk of income, something one wouldn't want to miss out on, but unlike on PC, they can't release an unfinished product like EDO.
I know, no game is 100% bug free, even the original Donkey Kong arcade game just crashes after level 87 out of 100. Never got fixed, still there. Some bugs will make it even to console. But there is a difference in a few bugs vs the game not getting over 30FPS on your average hardware.

Elite Dangerous experienced a difficult calendar 2021 following the disappointing launch of the major Odyssey expansion in May 2021. We continue to support the game and our passionate players with development updates, and we have seen an upturn in player sentiment as a result

Put that into the context of the other statement about development time being spent on free updates as opposed to paid updates, and the bearing that has on profit and revenue.

It's my understanding that's why the initial reaction to the poor launch was to concentrate on delivering PC performance improvements via that console development work - it would've delivered return on two fronts.

The bottom line is Odyssey needs to start generating a return on investment, and that involves increased sales of Odyssey and/or additional paid updates. Both of those items have limited scope on PC currently.

If that doesn't happen, will Frontier be able to "continue to support the game"? Interesting wording.

Last edited:
I for one, look forward to the galnet ads that will play on my HUD during each jump in the not too distant future.

Sure, you could say that rowing machines and car ads break immersion ...but if everyone has a web browser open in a second screen to play the game anyway, what immersion is really being harmed?

I for one, look forward to the galnet ads that will play on my HUD during each jump in the not too distant future.

Can I suggest...

1642035980008.png

We need SOMETHING. Some sort of acknowledgement of the console community

Demanding to be given some sort of update information or acknowledgement.

Never heard of Sally. Just made a frontier account to make this post because I'm tired of the great nothing we've gotten thus far.

Has never actually bothered to look for some sort of update information or acknowledgement.

Fact is consoles and Horizons for PC got a minor update a few days ago, meanwhile us Odyssey players have been sitting waiting for months, months I tell you, for something anything, just a bone or two to be thrown our way!

Trust me, as someone who plays using hardware that is in the grey area of under the minimum system requirements in all but the frontier documentation...

There’s no chance this is going to work on ps4 era consoles without significant work on the graphics engine.

I have elite on console too, and my conclusion is its literally impossible based on what we are running now on pc.

Elite Dangerous experienced a difficult calendar 2021 following the disappointing launch of the major Odyssey expansion in May 2021. We continue to support the game and our passionate players with development updates, and we have seen an upturn in player sentiment as a result

Put that into the context of the other statement about development time being spent on free updates as opposed to paid updates, and the bearing that has on profit and revenue.

It's my understanding that's why the initial reaction to the poor launch was to concentrate on delivering PC performance improvements via that console development work - it would've delivered return on two fronts.

The bottom line is Odyssey needs to start generating a return on investment, and that involves increased sales of Odyssey and/or additional paid updates. Both of those items have limited scope on PC currently.

If that doesn't happen, will Frontier be able to "continue to support the game"? Interesting wording.

Yes, their financial statement while acknowledging some issues also seems fairly positive overall. They made a decent profit and while Age of Sigmar is delayed, their projections are still positive. They are not losing money like they are going out of business or anything like that.

I don't think there is any reason to worry. Maybe if they have a few more quarters with below expectation results, then it might be time to worry.

You're completely discounting current gen console hardware then?

Might as well because Frontier have 😃

Not the best time for any company to focus on the PS5 only:

They are pretty silent in General atm. I may remember wrong but didnt they say the next update would be early January? Its mid january now.
I think Odyssey made way less money than they hoped, for obvious reasons, and they simply do not have the funds/do not want to invest the funds for console Development since the PC Version is still a stuttering mess in settlements even on a 3080

Limited scope yet 2/3rds of the game play on PC 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, but those are elderly gamers with a family and a tight purse who just login daily for their free ARX and spend the rest of the day belittling each other on the forum. The real revenue comes from consoles, or so I heard.

Top Bottom