We need to talk about settlement placement.

Because things like this are just stupid.

gettinghotinhere.jpg

Are these settlements randomised or are we really supposed to believe people would work in a place like this?

View attachment 251450

Are these settlements randomised or are we really supposed to believe people would work in a place like this?
Yeah, got the same kind of crazy yesterday (Restore mission in a settlement where the power plant was entombed by rocks... unable to put the power regulator in it's casing).
There is definitely something wrong with the 'new' rocks/rocky terrains in EDO.
FDev should be aware of the problems since I posted 3-4 different issues regarding rocky terrains in the tracker...

I've had an info terminal half obscured by some stacked barrels making it very difficult to use. Also some of the settlement layouts make little sense. For example Gibbs (can't remember or be bothered to look it up) in the Fullerene C60 system Access is through the labs. I struggle to find my way around it even when all the inhabitants are dead, as for doing anything covert , forget it.

I think it is just placement of objects overall. People in floors, floating, rock floating, materials buried in ground, etc. It pops up everywhere.

What is exactly wrong with the base in that image?
Image file is called "gettinghotinhere" so I think it's the temperature and direct sun exposure without an atmosphere. I've seen some settlements in which the temperature was so high that you couldn't disembark on the landing pad - how can an Odyssey settlement function that way? They don't have underground paths or structures which would seem like the only way it could work.

well playing one of the famous frontier solution conflicted wars yesterday, i wouuld of won, if it wasn't for the last npc who seemed to be completley invisible to me and all the other npc running around like headless chickens looking for him. you know like 100 npcs couldn't find 1 guy.:) not in buildings,roofs or around the ing area.

The opposite is true, too. I have done missions in settlements on the moons of a gas giant at a brown dwarf. The temperature in those settlements was some 22-25K. How can anything work at these temperatures?

• But on Venus, the surface temperature is 460 degrees Celsius, day or night, at the poles or at the equator. Beyond its thick atmosphere, Venus’ axial tilt (aka. obliquity) plays a role in this temperature consistency.

View attachment 251450

Wait, so we have spaceships, with faster than light travel, hyperspace to other solar systems, alien races from other dimensions, laser battles, massive space fleets.... but decent heat shielding is just a bit too unbelievable?

:p:p:p:p

The opposite is true, too. I have done missions in settlements on the moons of a gas giant at a brown dwarf. The temperature in those settlements was some 22-25K. How can anything work at these temperatures?
We can sit in our ships beside a star indefinitely.

In theory you could land a bunch of T9 transports in a circle, remove the engines and call it a settlement.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
There are some things that need to fall under the umbrella of 'suspension of disbelief.'

Of all the things wrong with Elite at the moment, I don't think Frontier need to really worry about this one.

Last edited:
I agree, I think they could have made the settlements make more sense, where they are placed etc--most tourist settlements are in the middle of nowhere, in a rocky field-there's nothing around that would make sense to 'tour' no mountains or incredible views or crash sites or monuments-- in Horizons at least you had a tourist marker even though that was lame, that made a little bit more sense.

Top Bottom