We should be able to pirate fleet carriers

What costs are you referring to? And how would PvP take away from the community building aspect?

Are you seriously asking what the costs are on the most expensive thing in the game?

And a lot of people play in solo or private groups. Unless FCs were limited in where they appeared(which isn't going to happen), letting players get pvped involuntarily is a terrible decision that would only drive people away.

Gonna have to disagree with that. I play on PS4. Someone on PC can just destroy my FC and steal? Not to mention they can't stop someone from LTD exploiting/rock reset, imagine some azzhole pirating your FC in the black over and over again doing that just cuz. Then add in wings/squadrons of pirates? Good grief. I would be ok with FC's being attacked somewhat if there were 'rules'. AND you were able to upgrade your FC to withstand a barrage of attacks.

Personally I would hate to see efforts like the DSSA get ganked

And don't forget, if you own a FC you can be tracked anywhere you go so there's no getting away if a fleet of gankers decide just to remove your entire stock of Tritium every time you refuel.

Are you seriously asking what the costs are on the most expensive thing in the game?

And a lot of people play in solo or private groups. Unless FCs were limited in where they appeared(which isn't going to happen), letting players get pvped involuntarily is a terrible decision that would only drive people away.
With current money-making, it takes about half a day to make 5 billion. And a couple hours to make enough to pay for 1 year of fc upkeep. (Last guide I watched showed roughly half a billion per hour. May be higher now) So, no. The costs involved with a fleet carrier is laughable right now.

Fleet carriers are also optional, have no risk currently, and along with all the reworking they would need to do to implement fc piracy, they could easily add some sort of fc defense or hireable security force. You are fooling yourself if you believe adding more player interaction and PvP would not also draw more people to the game, even if some leave.

With current money-making, it takes about half a day to make 5 billion. And a couple hours to make enough to pay for 1 year of fc upkeep. (Last guide I watched showed roughly half a billion per hour. May be higher now) So, no. The costs involved with a fleet carrier is laughable right now.

Fleet carriers are also optional, have no risk currently, and along with all the reworking they would need to do to implement fc piracy, they could easily add some sort of fc defense or hireable security force. You are fooling yourself if you believe adding more player interaction and PvP would not also draw more people to the game, even if some leave.

I bet you're one of those people that thinks open should be mandatory for power play and bgs too, eh? A person of the land, the common clay of the new west?

It's a terrible idea. Any idea that involves pvp where the defending player cannot defend themselves sucks by default, and you'll never convince me otherwise.

And the sort of people who enjoy smashing or stealing from others without resistance are, by definition, douchebags. If they're the sort of people you want to draw to the game then you can count me right out.

I bet you're one of those people that thinks open should be mandatory for power play and bgs too, eh? A person of the land, the common clay of the new west?

It's a terrible idea. Any idea that involves pvp where the defending player cannot defend themselves sucks by default, and you'll never convince me otherwise.

And the sort of people who enjoy smashing or stealing from others without resistance are, by definition, douchebags. If they're the sort of people you want to draw to the game then you can count me right out.
Every single assumption you made about me was incorrect. I basically live out in the black. And I had no intention of convincing you. Your post was simply a useful segway to make points meant for more open-minded people.

Here we go with replies starting to get personal versus discussing an idea whether it works or not. It unfortunately happens with every Forum thread sooner or later. That is why we have moderators. Get back on track per the discussion or if personal comments takes over the thread a moderator will close it. Then we all lose. If you have a problem with a reply with personal issues then PM them. It is a great comm system to deal with issues even sending text, graphics and web links to make your point. Don't use the Forum arguing with someone unless your ego is in charge of your brain. Alas many posts on the Forum reflect this.

Last edited:
You could pirate carriers, the pirates just can't be human players. The game can initiate npc pirates attacking a carrier in all instances at a single given time so it is appearing to be attacked at the same time by anyone sharing an instance with the carrier at that time.

The game would then be to repel the attack.

If the average attack over a given period doesn't get repelled, the carrier drops materials and moves slightly within the system. Then for a certain period of time a poi exists where the pirates are picking up the materials and players can steal from them after attacking them. Carriers that fail to be defended have a much higher repair bill that period.

If the pirates are repelled, the company that owns the carriers, pay players by the number and skill of pirates killed

Carriers in high concentration attract this pirate mechanic.

They're cross-platform and cross-mode, so it isn't going to happen.

Having someone loot your cargo from Solo when you can't do anything to stop them is NOT fun gameplay.

You could depend on the carriers defenses, perhaps some of the upkeep could go towards NPCs authority type ships for example. I’m sure Fdev could make a system like this.

I would like this idea, but only for stealing.

I suggested something similar: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...cant-megaship-like-flaws.540229/#post-8361592

People forget you are surrounded by security scanning, and a ship armed like a station. Once you become hostile you can't easily come back to the FC because you'll get hammered by its guns (and they hurt :D ). So no-one would be robbed blind outright, it would be more like leeching goodies.

I also like the idea of making FCs invisible on the map as a defence though- like a transponder where you toggle visibility and you could hide. So if FCs were vulnerable it would exert pressure to keep them out of sight, or risk the herd out in the open.

No, it's a terrible idea.

1) Carriers currently are a persistent asset that can be interacted with over all game modes. "Pirates" would just hide in solo mode to loot other players carriers without any threat or danger. Prime examples are current PG and BGS warfare.

2) If you turn Elite into some "open only" Shooter game under the assumption that "players can defend themselves" you are wrong. You will never be able to defend your carrier. "Pirates" will use different timezones to schudule their attacks to make sure their victim is at sleep or probably at work. In case a victim tries to muster some defense, they will bring overwhelming firepower (case example: ganker wings) to make sure there will be no danger involved for the attackers

3) This "feature" would lead to a similar situation like with EVE Online's HighSec Citadels. Larger groups of players will bully solo players and smaller squadrons and extort protection money from them. "Pay us X amount each week or we will make your gaming experience a living hell.". That's not a situation I'd like to see replicated in Elite.

4) This "feature" would lead to very real animosity and toxicity in the community. If you think discussions around ganking are bad right now, imagine a "feature" that encourages constant harrassment, but cannot even be evaded (by playing in Solo Mode or in a PG)

5) Nope. Really. Just nope.

How about the Fleet Carrier has a weapon of last resort? If triggered then everyone involved in the pirate action, fleet carrier included is blown to kingdom come?

Iron man style.

Everyone involved loses everything thing they own in Elite. Every account, every ship, every module, all their money. The commanders are dead and gone. Right back to new commander with a Sidewinder and 1000 Cr.

After all, if you are going to ask the Fleet Carrier owners to risk everything they have, then the pirates should risk the same.

1) Carriers currently are a persistent asset that can be interacted with over all game modes. "Pirates" would just hide in solo mode to loot other players carriers without any threat or danger. Prime examples are current PG and BGS warfare.

2) If you turn Elite into some "open only" Shooter game under the assumption that "players can defend themselves" you are wrong. You will never be able to defend your carrier. "Pirates" will use different timezones to schudule their attacks to make sure their victim is at sleep or probably at work. In case a victim tries to muster some defense, they will bring overwhelming firepower (case example: ganker wings) to make sure there will be no danger involved for the attackers

3) This "feature" would lead to a similar situation like with EVE Online's HighSec Citadels. Larger groups of players will bully solo players and smaller squadrons and extort protection money from them. "Pay us X amount each week or we will make your gaming experience a living hell.". That's not a situation I'd like to see replicated in Elite.

4) This "feature" would lead to very real animosity and toxicity in the community. If you think discussions around ganking are bad right now, imagine a "feature" that encourages constant harrassment, but cannot even be evaded (by playing in Solo Mode or in a PG)

I absolutely agree with your assessment. Combat Pilots have CQC and other methods of enjoying their game, some of us do not enjoy this aspect of the game so prefer to play in SOLO. I have tried OPEN on a number of occasions and have been ganked or at least attempted to be ganked on most occasions, the most recent went something like this;

1. Packed my T9 with 600 propaganda materials for powerplay purposes
  2. Get Interdicted by a human CMDR
  3. Think, maybe this player will not be a ganker and rather a pirate roleplayer
  4. He demands 100 LTD's be dropped, in inform him that I am not carrying any and he is welcome to scan my cargo
  5. He responds with "I don't care I don't care" and proceeds to open fire and destroying me.
Now what on earth did he gain? Some Limpets and Propaganda materials? Some minor satisfaction of destroying someone who was exposed, no weapons extracted and not moving at all - attempting to comply.

What did I lose? Well about two hours of my life, a large penalty to re-buy my ship and fighter pilot?

It makes no sense to me.

Last night I tried OPEN again and while flying down to Farseer Inc. I see green lasers firing, then suddenly I start getting hit by rail gun fire of this person, I decide I am not going to waste my time and money again and combat logged out - yes I know this is against the TOS but honestly are we supposed to just accept this type of pariah hell bent of ganking noobs at well known sites?

I think not, I bought this game for MY reasons, I play the game for MY enjoyment. There are tons of excuses from "ganker pirates" complaining that they are forced to do this, well I have never found a good enough reason to negatively impact another random person because I am not happy....what a cop out.

Now they want to be able to gank FC's? Go Away!

SOLO FTW :cool::)

As an experiment, go off and shoot a fleet carrier, jump away and then come back, park next to it for a few minutes and see how long you can last.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
.... then give Carrier owners the opportunity to flag their Carrier for such gameplay, if they find the prospect of it to be "fun".

If the owner does not find it to be "fun", then there'd be no need for them to provide a pan-modal target for the "fun" of other players at their expense.

How about the Fleet Carrier has a weapon of last resort? If triggered then everyone involved in the pirate action, fleet carrier included is blown to kingdom come?

Iron man style.

Everyone involved loses everything thing they own in Elite. Every account, every ship, every module, all their money. The commanders are dead and gone. Right back to new commander with a Sidewinder and 1000 Cr.

After all, if you are going to ask the Fleet Carrier owners to risk everything they have, then the pirates should risk the same.
how about making it system wide...
park the carrier in one of the "current hotspots" then detonate... that would help to reset the balance of things.
(128 carriers less in the game for a start) :p :ROFLMAO:

They're cross-platform and cross-mode, so it isn't going to happen.

Having someone loot your cargo from Solo when you can't do anything to stop them is NOT fun gameplay.

I beleive it would be quite difficult for a single pirate to achieve anything against a fully armed and weaponized carrier.

Top Bottom