What about the new discovery system?

I tried searching for an answer to this question but didn't find anything related, so here it is: I've been out on the Distant World 2 expedition. Didn't check much the forums lately. My question is about the discovery system since the new update with the DSS and the FSS. I used to have the infinity range scanner. Activating it in a system would reveal all bodies in that system. Since the overhaul of discovery, the scanner will not discover bodies that are outside a certain range. What am I missing here? How can I know that there are planets like 10,000 ls away? Is this a bug?

The current FSS reveals objects at any range. Either you've found a rare bug, or you've not bound all the keys it needs and are only using its (very short range) passive detection.

Right, the Discovery Scanner (formerly the Advanced Discovery Scanner had the infinite range) is now built into the ship. When you use it to perform the "honk", it no longer fills in the map, but rather tells you how many bodies there are, and prepares the new FSS to scan the system, where you will manually use the "telescope" like scanning ability to discover each body. The honk only auto-discovers the stars. The planets have to be detected with the FSS manually.

Hmmm... OK, I guess I'll watch the video there then. I use VoiceAttack with the HCS Voice Packs to command my ship and had always assumed that the scan it automatically does when jumping into a system was sufficient.

Last edited:
I have a related quick question: when I jump into a system and look at the system map, it usually shows the bodies in it and for each body there is information such as „discovered by john doe” and „mapped by john q. taxpayer”. Some systems though don't have that information, or the information is partial. Some bodies are only scanned but not mapped, others are neither.
My assumption is those bodies haven't previously been scanned/mapped by anyone. Is my assumption correct?
If I scan them, the info in the system map doesn't change. Does this mean I have to go to a station and turn in my data in order for me to have my name written down as the first one who discovered (or mapped, or both) the bodies?

I have a related quick question: when I jump into a system and look at the system map, it usually shows the bodies in it and for each body there is information such as „discovered by john doe” and „mapped by john q. taxpayer”. Some systems though don't have that information, or the information is partial. Some bodies are only scanned but not mapped, others are neither.
My assumption is those bodies haven't previously been scanned/mapped by anyone. Is my assumption correct?
If I scan them, the info in the system map doesn't change. Does this mean I have to go to a station and turn in my data in order for me to have my name written down as the first one who discovered (or mapped, or both) the bodies?
Yes, the scanned/mapped info updates only after you sell the data.

Ok question , how comes my FSS Scanner doesn`t engage at all ? Not only that I don`t have an option in my controls setting to switch it on, but do have one to switch it off.

Apologies if I don't get it but how were you working DW2 and not know how the FSS works, the differences between honks/modes/ranges? Something doesn't make sense here.

It is pretty simple, you jump in discover mode, honk as you jump in (as before) then enter the FSS screen with whatever hotkey you assigned to it (or the default), pan the sky for targets and resolve it. Then, as the stats for that world appear decide if you want to map it or not. Anyhows, that is how it works and it gets pretty quick as you scan more and more systems and your finger memory builds up.

BTW the FSS Deniers tag on this thread is hilarious.

Apologies if I don't get it but how were you working DW2 and not know how the FSS works, the differences between honks/modes/ranges? Something doesn't make sense here.

It is pretty simple, you jump in discover mode, honk as you jump in (as before) then enter the FSS screen with whatever hotkey you assigned to it (or the default), pan the sky for targets and resolve it. Then, as the stats for that world appear decide if you want to map it or not. Anyhows, that is how it works and it gets pretty quick as you scan more and more systems and your finger memory builds up.

BTW the FSS Deniers tag on this thread is hilarious.

If you read what I said initially , I`m not getting an option to enter fss scan mode in my command keys, just one to leave it. I jump in to a system , throttle to 0 , wait , maybe get a few bodies in the system pop up but the fss scanner doesn`t initiate. Gonging with the ADS will tell me how many bodies are in the orbital plane, but I`ll still get no visual on them on system map unless they`re really close.

Top Bottom