What are the current State of the console Version from EDO?

that sounds far more positive than I set out too
for reference I stopped playing since odyssey due to all the connectivity issues and bugs and have no desire to go back for a while

It's ok-ish
I played on XB this Saturday. Nice and stable.

Took the opportunity to get some cheapo DDS super-engineered from Human Tech brokers too..

The base game and horizons were not launched simultaneously on all platforms. What a senseless discussion. I won't join wallowing in self-pity for no good reason

No they weren't but all that was before our time as PlayStation CMDRs, so not relevant to us here in this forum. Back to the original point you made, though:

"2. I also guess they might have just delayed the console launch because Sony and Microsoft charge for each update. So they took themselves some time for implementing the first major patches. They knew there would still be a lot to work on in the beginning and just save the money for console updates."

History refutes this as a reason for delay: Frontier have released patches and updates on all platforms simultaneously for the last 4 years (2017 - 2021). Prioritising development time is a much more likely reason than "Sony/MS charge for updates".

Anyway, back to the topic: there are now 80 PS4 games that have had a native 4K / 60 FPS enhancement released for PS5. Not doing so for Elite/Odyssey is the wrong decision, the PS4 version is getting creaky and old. Adding a broken Odyssey on top of it will not improve the situation.

Last edited:
The base game and horizons were not launched simultaneously on all platforms. What a senseless discussion. I won't join wallowing in self-pity for no good reason
I'm not sure this is the best precedent if you're trying to calm nerves. The delayed platform, OS X, was supposed to be launched simultaneously with the Windows version of Horizon until Frontier worked out that they couldn't actually do it at all.

Frontier then claimed they would leave no rock unturned to get the macOS client updated to Horizon, but it appears that didn't include looking seriously under the rock marked 'Metal'.

This led to a lingering death for the macOS client some three years later.

History refutes this as a reason for delay: Frontier have released patches and updates on all platforms simultaneously for the last 4 years (2017 - 2021).

Which is a non argument since EDO is not a patch.
It's a DLC and the last DLC, Horizons, what not released on consoles at the same time it was released on PC

So yes, patches and updated were released on all platforms at the same time
Not the case for DLC

Content updates released on all platforms at once off-the-top-of-my-head :

• Fleet Carriers
  • Beyond (All Chapters)
  • Exploration updates (FSS scanner, etc)
  • Beige-gate.
  • Lighting updates
  • All balance passes
  • All new Guardian and Thargoid content updates
  • The major CG's and in-game events including Gnosis-gate.
  • New player improvements
  • new BGS state additions
  • Crime and Punishment changes

Odyssey is the first delay and it's not because the console OEMs charge for the privilege of providing updates, which is the suggestion that data refutes.

Content updates released on all platforms at once off-the-top-of-my-head :

• Fleet Carriers
  • Beyond (All Chapters)
  • Exploration updates (FSS scanner, etc)
  • Beige-gate.
  • Lighting updates
  • All balance passes
  • All new Guardian and Thargoid content updates
  • The major CG's and in-game events including Gnosis-gate.
  • New player improvements
  • new BGS state additions
  • Crime and Punishment changes

Odyssey is the first delay and it's not because the console OEMs charge for the privilege of providing updates, which is the suggestion that data refutes.

Let me spell it out for you: EDO is not a patch, not content update either.
It is a payed DLC
Like Horizons was. And Unlike anything you crammed in that list.

Horizons launched on PC on 15 December 2015 and on Consoles (XB1) on 3 June 2016
EDO Launched on PC on 19 May 2021, expected launch for consoles is Autumn 2021...

Let me spell it out for you: EDO is not a patch, not content update either.
It is a payed DLC
Like Horizons was. And Unlike anything you crammed in that list.

Horizons launched on PC on 15 December 2015 and on Consoles (XB1) on 3 June 2016
EDO Launched on PC on 19 May 2021, expected launch for consoles is Autumn 2021...

Are you arguing that Odyssey was delayed on consoles - contrary to the original plan of releasing across all platforms at once - because Sony and Microsoft 'charge for updates' ?

FDev have previously stated post-PS4 launch that their intention is to release all updates across all platforms at once. Odyssey is the outlier and it's not the fault of Sony and Microsoft. :D

No, i'm arguing this:
Odyssey is the first delay

and this:
No they weren't but all that was before our time as PlayStation CMDRs, so not relevant to us here in this forum.

Because it is actually very relevant.
the PS4 was quite spoiled getting everything nice and dandy in one go, all bugs polished out by the PC and the XB players.

Welcome to the club.
Now you see how it really goes.

No, i'm arguing this:

and this:

Because it is actually very relevant.
the PS4 was quite spoiled getting everything nice and dandy in one go, all bugs polished out by the PC and the XB players.

Welcome to the club.
Now you see how it really goes.

Odyssey is the first delay, since FDev stated that they want to release all updates on all platforms together.
Welcome to the PlayStation forum. We're a friendly bunch here and try to discuss things respectfully.

I'm not sure this is the best precedent if you're trying to calm nerves. The delayed platform, OS X, was supposed to be launched simultaneously with the Windows version of Horizon until Frontier worked out that they couldn't actually do it at all.

Frontier then claimed they would leave no rock unturned to get the macOS client updated to Horizon, but it appears that didn't include looking seriously under the rock marked 'Metal'.

This led to a lingering death for the macOS client some three years later.

Sounds familiar.

Now that the patching of PC version has come to an end (not sure it has to be honest, but maybe the issues that still exist will be resolvable through "hot fixes" rather than patches) we should start to get a better idea re console launch...it would be nice to know early doors if the extra effort needed to spruce up the PC release will impact the Autumn release on console as suggested on the Dev Post from Arf?

I had set an expectation of Nov 21 as the release date so as not to be disappointed, I think I'll push that out to Jan 22 for the same reason...

Which is a non argument since EDO is not a patch.
It's a DLC and the last DLC, Horizons, what not released on consoles at the same time it was released on PC

So yes, patches and updated were released on all platforms at the same time
Not the case for DLC
Wasn't the original plan to launch simultaneously?

Nothing on split launch there.

Last edited:
Wasn't the original plan to launch simultaneously?

Nothing on split launch there.

Yes it was. Then less than 6 months later they changed the deal.
Then less than 2 weeks before launch they changed the deal once more splitting the PC player base

Its not like plan changes didnt happen before.
Carriers were delayed too, then completely changed from a modular approach to the outfitting type we currently have
And even it was a free update it still generated a lot of backlash

Hopefully they dont change the deal again...

Point is, the previous DLC did not launch on PC and Consoles at the same time, no matter how much Mental Pilates some will attempt.
With emphasis on DLC. Payed DLC.

We can discuss all day, it won’t change nothing, Fdev ignoring again the console community. No infos no plans only phrase. And that’s are truly facts. And it won’t change nothing, I’m sure that we get a delay, till next year. And then? It’s still running clunky on the old console, or they have a new way to give us a good experience. And for sake, the pc cmdrs aren’t the beta tester for us, on the consoles exist other more heavier technical problems than you expect, for example Fly to the found warplace on ps4 and look the beautiful stuttering and stumbling game.

Last edited:
We can discuss all day, it won’t change nothing, Fdev ignoring again the console community. No infos no plans only phrase. And that’s are truly facts. And it won’t change nothing, I’m sure that we get a delay, till next year.

No matter what some are trying to imply, the history proves EDO is not special.
And consoles are not ignored.
However, they are taken care off only after the PC stuff is done.

Yes it was. Then less than 6 months later they changed the deal.
Then less than 2 weeks before launch they changed the deal once more splitting the PC player base

Its not like plan changes didnt happen before.
Carriers were delayed too, then completely changed from a modular approach to the outfitting type we currently have
And even it was a free update it still generated a lot of backlash

Hopefully they dont change the deal again...

Point is, the previous DLC did not launch on PC and Consoles at the same time, no matter how much Mental Pilates some will attempt.

So you agree that Frontier's plans have been to release updates across all platforms simultaneously. We got there in the end.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
And consoles are not ignored.
Some consoles are ignored. PS5 and the XS come to mind. 😉

Plus the actual communication on what's going on with the console version (be it even PS4 and Xbox One) has been next to none existent.

It will be interesting post patch 5 on the PC if this changes. A lot of PC players still appear extremely unhappy with respect to performance issues.

It will be interesting if the focus does shift to console or if it's radio silence.

It will be interesting if the focus does shift to console or if it's radio silence.

I hope the focus shift will not happen right now.
Patch 5 still has serious problems (some settlements give single digit FPS on cards that are above the recommended specs, plus some missions that are bugged currently)

Some consoles are ignored. PS5 and the XS come to mind. 😉

They are not ignored for new games, as i said JWE2 and Planet Coaster Console Edition.
Those are new titles and are launching on the new consoles as well the old ones.

EDO is a DLC for an older title, not a new game.
A native version is not mandatory now, but the growing market for the new consoles cannot be ignored for more than 1 year.
So i'm pretty sure in 2022 we will get a native version too.

I'm not sure why being paid DLC should make any difference really. Frontier badly miscalculated, it was exacerbated by the pandemic and the final result was still undercooked for those who did alledgedly get the full release.

Anyway you look at it, Frontier dropped a clanger (and potentially a soup dragon as well).

Anyway you look at it, Frontier dropped a clanger (and potentially a soup dragon as well).

What i'm trying to say is Horizons at launch was really bad, based on people commenting about it. I wasn't here at the time.
So apparently nothing new with EDO being bad at launch (although we might have a winner in EDO, at least until the next DLC) - a lot of people called it, during the Alpha, yours truly included.
I also called the release between the PC launch and the Console launch as a live beta, but well... 🤷‍♂️ let's move on, shall we?

Top Bottom