What are you doing in Elite?

I find myself a bit torn. I want to play Elite, but I don't know what to do. My ships aren't heavily engineered, but with the upcoming change to engineering I feel like devoting a significant chunk of time into engineering would be a waist. I'd go back to grinding credits, but the mission payouts have been cut significantly. I don't feel like I should mess with Thargoids because I don't have strong ships, and even people with strong ships are saying it isn't worth the hassle.

Please give me some ideas, what are you doing?

Working to casually support a PMF with cargo, mining and passenger missions. Slowly trying to accumulate money for a Python, which is probably going to be my last new ship for a long time.

Also waiting on the new changes as they come. I was loading out and engineering up an Adder for a Sag-A run, since I think the Adder is woefully underrated as a light explorer, but that's on hold because I want to see what the new explorationmechanics are gonna look like.

Last edited:
I find myself a bit torn. I want to play Elite, but I don't know what to do. My ships aren't heavily engineered, but with the upcoming change to engineering I feel like devoting a significant chunk of time into engineering would be a waist. I'd go back to grinding credits, but the mission payouts have been cut significantly. I don't feel like I should mess with Thargoids because I don't have strong ships, and even people with strong ships are saying it isn't worth the hassle.
Same here, except that I am not interested in having access to more than the first few engineers. I start the game, switch from one ship to another, look at the mission boards and turn the game back off. I think I am going to take a break from ED for a while and play something else. Maybe try exploring when I return.

Whatever takes my fancy. Just participated in my first CG, then followed it up with some low key massacre missions and thinking about heading out to check one of these Generation Ships that was recently located. After that, might head down to a planet and drive around like a demented Martian for a while,

Aimless - yes, goal orientated - definitely not, but still enjoying the game.

A bit of exploration and then a few passenger missions

That's bout it...

So bored lately I actually gave some thought to doing Power Play - the notion passed quickly

Yeah that's good point with engineering. Although it may yet be awhile before that change comes I think I'll probably take a break from it myself - maybe just engineer my couriers lasers a bit or something IDK.

I am feeling the itch for some major exploration.

Please give me some ideas, what are you doing?

Mission payouts aren't that bad. Doing some right now, decent pay. Got a bunch of assassination missions (pirates and military personnel only), that all have decent pay. The main time you see low payouts is when you get cargo rewards with engineering mats.

I had planned to help with the CG, but I got a bit sidetracked on these missions.

Got killed scanning Thargoids.
Fought in a war.
I've got a bunch of MultiCannons to engineer.

Engineering is still worth doing. Don't look at it like "I need G5 everything".
Just choose one module and work towards that.
FSD is a good start.
And even G3 is a big difference.

Since I got Elite Exploration a few months ago, I'm taking a break, at least until the spring, maybe longer. It depends on when I have the spare budget to throw down for a hardware upgrade (I have other hobbies that are taking priority for the rest of this year) and get some time in on some other games in my queue. When I get back, I'm thinking I'm going to run Community Goals in Open, but I don't really know yet.

Do something else.

NecoMachina

N
Not playing. Waiting for Q4 2018 for exploration to be fleshed out.

I went out to see the Barnacle forest that was recently discovered. It's a very cool spot. Then I took a couple of Palin's missions to get Thargoid Resin. Faffed around on the planet for a while, just sight seeing around the crash before heading in with the Resin. Got paid. Did a couple of Assassination missions, trying out an SLF for a while. Spent some time looking for Thargoids and watching them. Stuff like that.

Just started a war. Working on the next war to make sure it's with the right faction.

BTW, not all missions are pants. Assassination missions are paying pretty well ATM.

The occasional jaunt over to a CG if there's a whale fer the killin', then back to my home station (for the moment) to resume my job as a manure mover trying to get elite in trading (about halfway through the last level) then I will head back out to the outer systems and look for passenger transport opportunities before I mothball the cutter in favor of my python.

Well i'm bored again because unsuprisingly, this big update brought sweet bloody nothing. So i'm out engineering a python i have lying around as a smuggler ship. Running as cool as possible with multiple heatsink launchers and a modest jump range. About to go slay some poor miner NPC's for their delicious conductive ceramics

I've been staying in the bubble doing mostly delivery, donations, massacre pirates at low or hazres, & hunt pirate lords missions for bgs powerplay goals which altogether receives decent (imo) payout. And hauling powerplay material and occasional CZ and a little pp undermining.

For not that bad of a short grind , you just need to engr up to grade 3 or 4 for about 5 engineers to see a marked ship performance improvement.

Last edited:
I started a wing and found a group of players who also just wanna play a bit of Elite. Now we've applied for a minor faction and we always chat on Discord. It brings a whole new level to the emptiness of space.

Been going around sightseeing: barnacle forest, alien crash sites, the new "old Thargon" crash site. Don't need credits so I stop for a lot of USS just to poke around. Jumping into NHSS and observing & feeding the Thargoids.

Exploring the newly-discovered INRA base at Hermitage 4A and fleshing out my understanding of INRA, The Club, the Black Flights, the first Thargoid war and investigating who is lying about what. I'm very drawn to the story aspect.

Reading a lot of the Lore to make the galaxy more interesting to me. Also a couple CGs.

Finished engineering & storing a bunch of modified modules for future ship purchases.

Top Bottom