Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Take a journey to Sagittarius A* and / or Colonia and it won't take long to start seeing more undiscovered systems than discovered ones. Don't be surprised to still run into discovered systems on these well travelled routes, especially around points of interest you find on edsm.net.
Look out for commanders travelling just to draw pictures in this image!
Also spot the permit blocked systems/areas as the lights go on around them leaving a hole in the map.

Also spot the permit blocked systems/areas as the lights go on around them leaving a hole in the map.
Yes they are conspicuous. That one 'south' of the bubble gets in the way sometimes.
Another feature I've noticed, is that you see squares of intense activity, many near the centre of the galaxy. I think that will be commanders Earth Like World Hunting. They filter to F and I think A class stars and use the system naming convention to identify a 'boxel'. Then they visit 500 F and A class stars. If they find around 10+ Earth Like Worlds, it's considered a good boxel and they'll 'fish' out the whole boxel to find all the ELWs they can. Not sure this is my idea of fun game play, but each to their own.

Boxel = A subsector (of varying sizes) within a sector of space. The term comes from "pixel", but refers to a 3D cube of space. This usually refers to procedurally generated star systems with shared letter codes and mass codes, in the form "XX-X n", where "n" is the mass code.

What I find interesting is that there are 400 billion stars and I keep hearing how people keep running into already discovered areas.

It seems most explorers seem to travel to the same places - which is understandable but, when I do my next excursion into the black, I'm going to try and find a road less travelled. Hopefully.
Check out the Galmap on EDAstro -- it has a heatmap of traveled areas. I use it to figure out a less-traveled area to go into (when I really want first-discoveries).

Somewhat Ninja'd. I shoulda read the rest of the thread first :) But the interactive map is cool as heck.

Sorry, that was meant for @CMDRQuainMarln

One day I'll rank up in exobiology...

xeXHjn2.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to move my area of operations. I've been messing about around 1.6kLY out, and having fun finding unmapped worlds and biologicals that are untouched. I found a few undiscovered systems as well. I wasn't sure how long I wanted to stay out in the black, so I didn't go very far.

But I'm having a really good time out here, so I'm going to stay a while more. I decided to go a bit farther off the beaten track, and also get out of the Inner Orion Spur sector. So now I'm in the Outer Orion Spur sector, about 2500LY out, and there are a lot more undiscovered systems out this way.

I found a "Water Giant." I guess they are not rare, but I don't recall ever seeing one. I was expecting it to be blue. The rings kind of made up for it though -- very pretty.
yuiiy7.jpg

This little moon has some wild topography. There were plants on it, too. Some were in the mountains and rather hard to access.
uyuuu.jpg

I seem to have crossed some kind of mental threshold. I used to find it annoying when plants were in hard-to-reach areas. Today I enjoyed the challenge. It took a long time to find a landing spot here. It was just uneven enough, with lots of rocks, that almost no spot was acceptable. I tried the auto-land computer, but it simply said "no valid landing spot available".
ytrty.jpg

I eventually found one manually, about 2k from the plants I saw. After I landed, though, I found some closer by, up the nearby slope.
werewrv.jpg

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it. (this Stratum reminds me of a Star Trek episode).
werewf.jpg

Prettiest picture of the day, it looks amazing as my desktop wallpaper :) I almost expected to see little furry creatures running about. Maybe someday.
ooopym.jpg

I decided to move my area of operations. I've been messing about around 1.6kLY out, and having fun finding unmapped worlds and biologicals that are untouched. I found a few undiscovered systems as well. I wasn't sure how long I wanted to stay out in the black, so I didn't go very far.

But I'm having a really good time out here, so I'm going to stay a while more. I decided to go a bit farther off the beaten track, and also get out of the Inner Orion Spur sector. So now I'm in the Outer Orion Spur sector, about 2500LY out, and there are a lot more undiscovered systems out this way.

I found a "Water Giant." I guess they are not rare, but I don't recall ever seeing one. I was expecting it to be blue. The rings kind of made up for it though -- very pretty.
View attachment 304663

This little moon has some wild topography. There were plants on it, too. Some were in the mountains and rather hard to access.
View attachment 304662

I seem to have crossed some kind of mental threshold. I used to find it annoying when plants were in hard-to-reach areas. Today I enjoyed the challenge. It took a long time to find a landing spot here. It was just uneven enough, with lots of rocks, that almost no spot was acceptable. I tried the auto-land computer, but it simply said "no valid landing spot available".
View attachment 304676

I eventually found one manually, about 2k from the plants I saw. After I landed, though, I found some closer by, up the nearby slope.
View attachment 304715

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it. (this Stratum reminds me of a Star Trek episode).
View attachment 304713

Prettiest picture of the day, it looks amazing as my desktop wallpaper :) I almost expected to see little furry creatures running about. Maybe someday.
View attachment 304661
I landed on a planet for the night with 3 bio signals including a fungus.... and bacteria groan again. Hoping the fungus is half as pretty as some of the stuff you are finding. I logged off after landing in the right area to find all 3 biologicals, so fingers crossed for next play session.

AFAIK they're not common, but not particularly rare either. About on par with Earthlike & Ammonia Worlds.
There are blue ones, but they're the vast minority, must be (gut feeling based on what I've seen) low single digit percentage of all WGs.

I'm using a Cobra in Colonia for dabbling in on foot ground missions. The underside small hard points are 'ok' for gimballed lasers, but the medium hardpoint in front of the pilot is the only one that works for dumb fire missiles used to blow up ground troops. It does work well for that there. The worst thing about the Cobra is that it's wide and flat and has a habit of autolanding over little hills on the ground which means I can't drive the SRV back under it to board the ship. I prefer my DBX in the bubble for this type of activity. Large central hardpoint for dumb fire missiles and lots of ground clearance to get the SRV under it even on rough ground.
Yeah, it may be that I've only ever landed in a Cobra and don't have much for comparison, but the ground clearance does lead to annoying situations. You'd think future spaceship AI would be a little better.

Though it probably happens as much when I land so I'm just as stupid.

Back
Top Bottom