Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

So what did you buy?
Low end really. A GTX1050Ti as it was the only one the repair shop had without having to wait for ages. It's just a stopgap: once we've moved house, I'll be looking at a whole new rig.

At the moment, that rig will be:

Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair Hydro H150i
RTX 3070Ti - subject to change
32GB 3,200mhz RAM
Asus ROG STRIX X570-E
Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD
4TD HDD
ASUS STRIX RAID Pro
Win 10 Pro

Depending on the case, 2 internal optical drives (because reasons)

EDIT

OK, so I've been experimenting and performance on this card is noticeably down, especially on planets so far. I'm investigating what options to reduce but, so far, there is nothing that makes any significant difference. Makes the graphics options a bit of a waste of time... ah well.

Last edited:
What am I up to?

I just got back after over two years of absence, last played in april 2019, only for a short while though, 2018 before that. All the while on my way back to the bubble from SagA* in my trusty "Blacksplorer".
They changed how exploration works somewhere in the last 3 years.

This is going to take a while.

What am I up to?

I just got back after over two years of absence, last played in april 2019, only for a short while though, 2018 before that. All the while on my way back to the bubble from SagA* in my trusty "Blacksplorer".
They changed how exploration works somewhere in the last 3 years.

This is going to take a while.
Yes, you know have the FSS to scan planets (similar to the DSS of old), and a new level which you get by sending probes to them using the new DSS.

Sending probes reveal where bio/geo can be found, allows you to filter through them and any POI are placed on the nav panel.

I'm now updating Horizons so I have a choice of either version.

On another note, I had a "chassis intrusion - system halted!" error on PC start earlier (from cold). I've had this before and it's a BIOS switch so I don't think it's too big a deal. It's probably down to the hardware in my machine being stripped out and diagnosed by the repair guys. I won't be powering down again today so I'll see what happens tomorrow. It may also be symptom of a failing CMOS battery which, again, is easy to resolve.

Of more concern is that, after, Windows refused to boot. It ran an automatic diagnostic which failed to find anything other than "oh reboot again, it might work". It did, thankfully.

So now I'll be monitoring (again!) and if it's still problematic the shoppe can sort it out. I'll probably do a Windows restore first though.

Edit: had to reboot. It restarted OK.

What was neat though, was that Mrs. Tyres witnessed all the above, stoking the embers towards a new rig :D

Last edited:
I did a couple of Covert Heist missions today, still working on those. They didn't go entirely smoothly, although I did complete them successfully. Too bad about the dead bodies. They were Covert Dead Bodies, so it was OK.

And here's a screenshot from the Buckyball Race. It's my Keelback on the pad. I dislike that ship, but this shot is pretty cool anyway :p

Screenshot_1421.jpg

Low end really. A GTX1050Ti as it was the only one the repair shop had without having to wait for ages. It's just a stopgap: once we've moved house, I'll be looking at a whole new rig.

At the moment, that rig will be:

Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair Hydro H150i
RTX 3070Ti - subject to change
32GB 3,200mhz RAM
Asus ROG STRIX X570-E
Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD
4TD HDD
ASUS STRIX RAID Pro
Win 10 Pro

Depending on the case, 2 internal optical drives (because reasons)

EDIT

OK, so I've been experimenting and performance on this card is noticeably down, especially on planets so far. I'm investigating what options to reduce but, so far, there is nothing that makes any significant difference. Makes the graphics options a bit of a waste of time... ah well.
try box.co.uk seems to be a great deal!.

I did a couple of Covert Heist missions today, still working on those. They didn't go entirely smoothly, although I did complete them successfully. Too bad about the dead bodies. They were Covert Dead Bodies, so it was OK.

Thats the damn thing about my COVERT heist missions. I always try to make disabling the alarm the #1 priority. However, that process itself although normally successful, often ends up with someone pulling their gun on me and that usually results in the entire base lying on the ground. It just seldom feels 'covert'.

Over here a 3070ti costs closer to GBP 1.5k

Its mad.
Gosh. Where are you seeing that? Ebay has one for £1k

... but there are cheaper options

But, yes - I totally agree: it's mad.

Last edited:
Well...

I've just been given a green light for a new rig. Perhaps not the specs I listed above but close-ish.

Looking at a Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 3070ti and other stuffs:

• 16 or 32 GB of RAM? 32 may be overkill and I can upgrade in the future.
  • Going for a fast SSD for o/s and programs and a 2TB HDD for data. I'll be ripping out my old drives and use a caddy to access them.
  • Want a sound card just because. I know mobo codecs are pretty good these days but I want a breakout box with volume and headphone jacks
  • Probably going to get a X570 mobo for future proofing as these can support more PCIe-4 bits (ASUS ROG Strix x570-e is the frontrunner)

I'd be interested in your opinions CMDR's!

Of course, it's main use is going to be ED (and other games maybe although I tend to stick with just one - I do play Q3 Arena and The Settler 3 every now again but they're really old now :D and perhaps a bit of GW2 perhaps once a month).

Well...

I've just been given a green light for a new rig. Perhaps not the specs I listed above but close-ish.

• Going for a fast SSD for o/s and programs and a 2TB HDD for data. I'll be ripping out my old drives and use a caddy to access them.
  • Want a sound card just because. I know mobo codecs are pretty good these days but I want a breakout box with volume and headphone jacks
  • Probably going to get a X570 mobo for future proofing as these can support more PCIe-4 bits (ASUS ROG Strix x570-e is the frontrunner)

Of course, it's main use is going to be ED (and other games maybe although I tend to stick with just one - I do play Q3 Arena and The Settler 3 every now again but they're really old now :D and perhaps a bit of GW2 perhaps once a month).
32GB RAM is useful sometimes. If you can find some affordable option, I would recommend it.

X570 on the other hand, if you want to save a bit, doesn't really make sense right now. Ryzen doesn't overclock very well (the main reason for choosing the X series chipset) and as far as future-proofing goes, AMD announced just a month or so ago that they're going to be ditching AM4 socket soon. If not the next generation, then the one adter that. With 5800X, you won't need to upgrade for a long time and once you do, you will need a new mobo anyway.
So I'd say pick a good B550 instead.

32GB RAM is useful sometimes. If you can find some affordable option, I would recommend it.

X570 on the other hand, if you want to save a bit, doesn't really make sense right now. Ryzen doesn't overclock very well (the main reason for choosing the X series chipset) and as far as future-proofing goes, AMD announced just a month or so ago that they're going to be ditching AM4 socket soon. If not the next generation, then the one adter that. With 5800X, you won't need to upgrade for a long time and once you do, you will need a new mobo anyway.
So I'd say pick a good B550 insteads
Thanks for that Chris, appreciated!

Well...

Not much opinions except that even with a X570 there is a future proof limit since AMD is moving to a new socket by the next gen.

Fast SSD is a must. NVME 4.0

Back
Top Bottom