What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

Sooo.... I kinda finished my first habitat in Bookland Zoo. If someone wants to know more about the concept, just let me know. Don't want to bore anybody.

No better way to start a zoo than with a flamingo habitat :D Looks promising!
I call this grey seal habitat "Planets Collide" A month in the making, finally done.View attachment 211881View attachment 211882
Planet Coaster DLC confirmed! I think it's the first time I see something like this in the community. Very original

I started my new Zoo Bookland Zoo. I figured, what was holding me back to start this project was the thought, that I had to start with an entrance. I totally was not in the mood for that. So I decided to be a rebell and start with a Flamingo habitat.

Bookland Zoo will be my "welfare off" zoo, where I can focus just on building and developing a semi-realistic zoo. Totally looking forward to that zoo.

I will keep Unity as my welfare on and "just relax and play" zoo. And to add new species that might come with DLCs and mods more easily, if it fits the theme. However, Bookland Zoo too will have a structure that makes it easier to add new species. So no sections by region, but by story telling.
In these lines, my most successful zoo - well, the one I've been working most time on - is the one where I did not start with the entrance.

Looking forward to how it progresses - cool looking Flamingo habitat though!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words everyone! I really appreciate. I lost my self-esteem with my building skills ever since the aquatic pack, so your words mean a lot to me.

No better way to start a zoo than with a flamingo habitat :D Looks promising!
I build the Flamingo habitat on the edge of the map (what was I thinking? :D ) so unless I don't move everything, the Flamingos might not be at the entrance. I still have to think about it.

I've been spreading my PZ time about equally between two zoos.

My franchise zoo "Aardvarks AarCool" is focused on the community challenge. I've got 16 aardvark habitats spread across two, rather fancy, limestone exhibit houses. My idea is that once the challenge is over, I'll convert some of those habitats to other small animals, like pangolins and anteaters, since it would be quite unrealistic to have so many aardvarks in one zoo and have such elaborate buildings for them. This zoo also has camels, zebras, buffalo, lions (yellow and albino), aldabera tortoises, African elephants, and a place for Indian elephants (which I'll add as soon as I've built up enough funds to feed them). It might get hyenas too before the week is done. All are animals that I'm trying to breed up better stats for over time to place in other zoos, and should keep me busy this week while the aardvarks go through their life cycles.

I've also been working on a new sandbox zoo, unimaginatively named "MOD-ern Zoo", where I've been playing with the new non-replacement mods. Because I'm new to this, I've been keeping them segregated into one zoo for now, but will likely incorporate them into other sandbox projects as I go. For now, I'm just so grateful to have them. I've turned off nearly all the welfare issues so that i don't break anything, so it's kind of my "relaxation" zoo where I just get to watch the new guys run around!

I've also been working on a new sandbox zoo, unimaginatively named "MOD-ern Zoo", where I've been playing with the new non-replacement mods. Because I'm new to this, I've been keeping them segregated into one zoo for now, but will likely incorporate them into other sandbox projects as I go. For now, I'm just so grateful to have them. I've turned off nearly all the welfare issues so that i don't break anything, so it's kind of my "relaxation" zoo where I just get to watch the new guys run around!

Me too! It's mainly just to try out the mods, but I made it in challenge mode.

Btw, love your zoo names! Especially Yes We Canine. :giggle:

I've been spreading my PZ time about equally between two zoos.

My franchise zoo "Aardvarks AarCool" is focused on the community challenge. I've got 16 aardvark habitats spread across two, rather fancy, limestone exhibit houses. My idea is that once the challenge is over, I'll convert some of those habitats to other small animals, like pangolins and anteaters, since it would be quite unrealistic to have so many aardvarks in one zoo and have such elaborate buildings for them. This zoo also has camels, zebras, buffalo, lions (yellow and albino), aldabera tortoises, African elephants, and a place for Indian elephants (which I'll add as soon as I've built up enough funds to feed them). It might get hyenas too before the week is done. All are animals that I'm trying to breed up better stats for over time to place in other zoos, and should keep me busy this week while the aardvarks go through their life cycles.

A very sensible approach.

Renovated the Backstage Room in my Hippo House because the Water Area got too small. I've also noticed how extremely cute the Baby Teeth of the juvenile Hippos are 😍

I finally finished the Iberian lynx habitat, which should be the main attraction in the European section of my zoo (I'm using the snow leopard). It is an outdoor habitat and it has a big building attached to it which is a kind of education center + restaurant. It has two floors with direct views to the habitat, so there are many viewing points to see the animals. There's also a secondary backstage habitat and a hidden shelter. It was difficult to get a nice screenshot because of the layout, so I show you several photos. I hope you like them!

20210308152858_1.jpg

20210308153518_1.jpg

20210308153209_1.jpg

20210308153135_1.jpg
20210308153151_1.jpg

Second floor:
20210308153232_1.jpg

20210308153255_1.jpg

View from the balcony:
20210308153347_1.jpg

Overview:
20210308153628_1.jpg

Started to build a Nocturnal House. We really need something like a special Wall and Roof to make it darker inside. At least I've found a Shade of Blue for the Lamps that looks pretty good in there

Decorated some of the backstage area and the section between two habitats in Bookland Zoo.

Also improved the Flamingo habitat, to make it look less lined up like "right side bamboo, left sight wall".

Placed a workshop entrance as a dummy to see, where my entrance and exit should be and plan from there.

You can't set education boards and speakers to modded animals which kind of presents an issue when playing in challenge mode where education rating matters in managing your zoo, and keeping guests happy. So my plan, for now, is to build up my zoo a little bit, and then I'll put in a modded animal, and create custom signs. My first animal was the Przewalski horse, but since I couldn't set the education for them, I replaced them with llamas.

You can't set education boards and speakers to modded animals which kind of presents an issue when playing in challenge mode where education rating matters in managing your zoo, and keeping guests happy. So my plan, for now, is to build up my zoo a little bit, and then I'll put in a modded animal, and create custom signs. My first animal was the Przewalski horse, but since I couldn't set the education for them, I replaced them with llamas.
I bet they'll figure that part out eventually as well, though. :)

You could use Educators until they find a Way to fix it 😉
If you don't mind someone roaring at your Horses😂

I bet they'll figure that part out eventually as well, though. :)

NicholasLionRider said on stream the other day that it can be done, but they would have to go through thousands of files, and it's just not a priority right now. It's totally understandable, I'm not complaining! :)

You could use Educators until they find a Way to fix it 😉
If you don't mind someone roaring at your Horses😂

I haven't even thought about the educators. Thank you! :)

I finished the reindeer habitat, the llama habitat, and have started work on the tortoise house. I'm aiming at a more "modern" design with the house as it's supposed to be a sponsored addition to the zoo. When we get custom billboards I'll try to make a sign of a made-up sponsor. I'm trying to have a very simple, low-budget building style with a few modern additions here and there. I want the zoo to have a nice, clean look, a zoo that you can tell takes very good care of its animals, but doesn't have a lot of funds. (I always come up with these ideas and then I never finish my zoos. Sigh.)

20210312093849_1.jpg

20210312093907_1.jpg

20210312093938_1.jpg

20210312094009_1.jpg

20210312094021_1.jpg

20210312094053_1.jpg

I finished the reindeer habitat, the llama habitat, and have started work on the tortoise house. I'm aiming at a more "modern" design with the house as it's supposed to be a sponsored addition to the zoo. When we get custom billboards I'll try to make a sign of a made-up sponsor. I'm trying to have a very simple, low-budget building style with a few modern additions here and there. I want the zoo to have a nice, clean look, a zoo that you can tell takes very good care of its animals, but doesn't have a lot of funds. (I always come up with these ideas and then I never finish my zoos. Sigh.)

Nice. I really like the Tortoise enclosure

Hey guys

Totally new to the forums, so please go easy on me :)

Planet Zoo is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. I'm not great at design, but I've been following a couple of the top designers on YouTube; a couple of those I like best are on here; DeLadysigner and PaulsLey. Both make really interesting and informative stuff ... and I've been trying to follow their tips for better designs. I'm never going to be one of those people who nominates his stuff for awards and such like ... but I enjoy this game so much and although I'm good at the game itself I want to make my habitats and my zoos look better all the time.

As you'll see from my screenshots, they are very basic, and very cluttered. Here's my current two; one based in the coldest climate and the other based on North American grassland. In the arctic one I tried to use only animals which can live in that terrain.

These are some overview shots of the arctic zoo. As you can see, my design skills aren't great ... it's a bit basic, but I really enjoyed putting this one together.

All my zoos are made in Challenge mode. I don't like having everything readily available to me in Sandbox ... I enjoy struggling at the start and trying to make the money to run a bigger and bigger operation.

What I really want to do is improve my design skills.

I wanted to highlight, in particular, the penguins exhibit which is naff...the viewing area is very unimaginative.

Now, watching the excellent tutorial videos from folks I mentioned I've been able to clean up that dirty looking water considerably, and put a bit more life into the exhibit itself, as I'll show you in the next post.
ICYZOO.jpg

Attachments

• ICYZOO2.jpg
    ICYZOO2.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 55
  • ICYZOO3.jpg
    ICYZOO3.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ICYZOO4.jpg
    ICYZOO4.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 52
  • ICYZOOBASIC.jpg
    ICYZOOBASIC.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ICYZ005.jpg
    ICYZ005.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hey guys

Totally new to the forums, so please go easy on me :)
Heeey, welcome here! :)
I can assure you, 99% of the Planet players are pretty awesome, kind people, so don't worry. I can also assure you that not everybody here is a perfect builder but we all improve with each hour spend in the game.

Don't drag yourself down! Building nice parks is a learning curve. Mine are far from being perfect or beautiful, but are very much better than when I started already.

If I can give you two single tips:
1. Avoid squares. Most habitats in zoos aren't perfectly shaped and it is much easier to decorate them if they are not.
2. Try to avoid cross views. Cross views are, for example, if a guest looks through a glass in the habitat and then... suddenly sees other guests on the other side or to the left of the habitat. Zoos try to avoid that usually, to not destroy the wildlife expierience.
What is also cosnidered a crossview is, when you see two habitats at once. Usually, this too is avoided. So feel free to space out your zoo a little more or decorate it with more plants, if possible. :)

This is my other zoo, my US Grassland zoo. This is where I've really been experimenting with different design styles for my habitats.

Some (most) I kept pretty basic ... but I like what I did with my bears.

The Grey Seal enclosure at the top is not much to look at ... I put a little more effort into the underground viewing gallery. Still not at a high standard, but looks a look more inviting and a lot more interesting. And thanks to Delady I have the clear water :)

I'm pleased about my lion exhibit ... I put a bit more work into that than with the usual ones, based on some of the videos I watched. I think I'm getting better at making it look realistic, with the positioning of thet tress and plants and rocks ... it's also my first time building a sunken exhibit with a semi-hidden gate and surrounding it with something other than the standard fencing; the rope fence turned out to be higher than I'd have liked, but the overall effect isn't bad.

I just really love experimenting with this game ... and the game itself is fabulous. I am really looking forward to the next add-ons, the billboards and such like. I'll have a ball with those.

grasslandseals.jpg
SEALSOVERVIEW.jpg
GRASSLANDSEALSVIEW.jpg
SEALSVIEW2.jpg
LIONSEXHBIT.jpg
grassland.jpg

grassland2.jpg
grasslandbears.jpg

Attachments

• grassland.jpg
    grassland.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 42