What do you guys think of this new Eve online trailer? They feeling the pressure???

I have played eve "For about a month" and to a new player it is not even close to this. You have to spend hundreds of countless hours to even reach this point.

For people who have real lives and kids or what not can just jump into Elite: Dangerous and have instant fun.

I wonder if they are losing player base because of Elite and these are desperate measures. The game was released in 2003 by the way

[video=youtube;AdfFnTt2UT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0#t=140[/video]

Last edited:
Never played EVE but Wikipedia suggests they have a pretty constant growth of the player base over the years. I don't think the release of ED will cause more than a minor dent in that chart.

Does anyone know how many copies Frontier sold of ED so far (including preorders)?

I use to play eve, and took part in that beta as well, back in the day..

After playing many months, I agree we were no where near that level of gameplay.. At best we were spending countless hours mining and saving up to build each of our megatrons <-- (was big at the time)

But as for the trailer above. A good example of hype generator. It has it's merits, but fails to convince me to return after a multi year self exile.

I think ill keep spending my time in this galaxy for awhile :)

What I find funny is that despite the great visuals in the trailer, that game has zero appeal to me. I guess I'm just not into that kind of MMOs and I'm happy Frontier chose to take a different path.

There's absolutely no pressure. Eve is not real time POV action. I would compare Eve to a game of chess. ED is live action, steer your way to victory or to defeat.

I think the trailer makes eve look totally awesome and if I knew nothing about the game i'd want to play it right now! But I do know about eve so I won't be playing ;)

Don't see why they should be worried. People who want fleet on fleet, guild type play can play Eve all they want imo. This is Elite, not Eve. The games are different and offer different play styles and experiences. Both have their place. If anything I think Eve will have more to fear from Star Citizen than from Elite (in terms of drawing players away), but of course Star Citizen is still a long way from release.

Played eve off and on since release until a few years ago, eve pretty much exists in it's own space, it has very little to worry about.

I have played eve "For about a month" and to a new player it is not even close to this. You have to spend hundreds of countless hours to even reach this point.

For people who have real lives and kids or what not can just jump into Elite: Dangerous and have instant fun.

I wonder if they are losing player base because of Elite and these are desperate measures. The game was released in 2003 by the way

[video=youtube;AdfFnTt2UT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0#t=140[/video]

They should show Hulkageddon and show experienced players who come up on new players and use an exploit to steal their stuff in missions. They should show the experience players putting bounties on all players in the help chat. Unless you have friends , hundreds of hours will get you begging some pirate to spare all you have earned as he convinces you to sign an agreement to leave you alone and once you sign they laugh and attack anyway. Eve has allowed griefing to get so bad they are lesson to other mmo's to resist the urge to make the game all about griefing. The games number one bad guy is a poster boy in many bullying forums, I think elite has the right balance if you want to be bullied stay in the sectors where pirates flourish but if you want to escape and build up you can.

Last edited:
Eve is a completely unique game as far as MMOs go (even FD could learn a lot from CCP Games). It's got a very steady growth in terms of playerbase and is a totally different beast of a game. It's good for people that like highly intellectual gameplay and have a complete lack of empathy for the rest of humanity... sooo... anarcho-capitalists pretty much.

It's not threatened by anything because nothing can even begin to approach what it is right now. As someone else in this thread already stated: It's like chess. You simply cannot compare it to a game like Elite, even though the devs claimed that Elite had a big hand in the inspiration for the game.

Lestat

Banned
Look how small the Galaxy is. it seem Tiny. Oh and look all the pointing and clicking. Which must be hard to do.

This is not a video put out because they are worried about losing players. EVE has always put out amazing videos a couple times a year to show off their vision of the game. It will continue to attract a certain type of player. While many like to paint the EVE community in a negative light it is filled with a great number of the most wonderfully intelligent people you could ever meet. Fortunately for CCP, their game is unique and they have made a business out of letting the players do pretty much whatever they want. No other developer has the balls to follow that formula.

Hehe I was in the Warp To Me fleet when they recorded that short snippet of footage at 2.52 (yes I'm an incursion-bear)!

Eve is excellent if you can get over the initial hump of complete information overload (probably takes at least a few weeks to a couple of months to just learn the basic mechanics) and then manage to find some fun people to fly with since it is basically IRC with graphics... but no, it's not released that video because of Elite: Dangerous - they're completely different kettles of fish - I mean Elite has first person view but is like a tiny papercut of the depth of interrelated systems in Eve not to mention that Elite instances could never support some of the fleet battles that have occurred in Eve with multiple thousands of players involved. Eve is more like a Paradox grand strategy title played in realtime with the occasional mad adrenaline rush (caused by the fact you might lose weeks of effort if your expensive ship dies). They're both in spaaaaaaace though :)

As for the playerbase, I don't think it's growing or shrinking, it was on a gradual decline for a short while but the devs reacted, changed it up and have made some really positive strides to fixing some stagnant areas of the game and it's picking up again.

EDIT: Anyone who wants a 21day trial instead of a 14day feel free to use this link: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=22fa2872-d3e2-46f1-8442-b24068dfb8ea&action=buddy it's a nice way to see how pretty a game it is although you'll barely be scratching the surface in that time - and no this isn't pure altruism I get free gametime if you decide to subscribe that account afterwards :p

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty great trailer and has some members of the community featured it that I recognize (No Holes Barred still going strong apparently).

CCP won't lose their fanbase to Frontier, the games attract a very different kind of player. I know for a fact that a good number of EVE players are turned off by twitch gameplay, for example.

Not losing any playerbase because of ED. If that happens its because CCP loves to drag there feet on things the playerbase wants, but they claim not to have the resources to produce. EVE is its own worst enemy.

There's no doubt CCP put a lot of effort into the EVE universe, it's a beautiful game with an interesting mechanic to handle large events, yet I still have no interest in ever playing it.

Top Bottom