what else are they making harder for new players? How many hours it is taking now?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
According to the steam stats, one month before the releases of carriers and odys were the best, with the month before Odys being the best.

Whatever they are doing for the economy or marketing a month later, or players just done with the new content, not sure.
What I do know is that the 6 people I bought the game for, only one plays.

And is signing up for fun, not the useless slog of work that engineering is. He is in the game to do coop missions, and even those are messed for new players.

I love when these posters claim the game was harder and easier now

ignoring factual examples of the increased difficulties and providing no examples of things that supposedly are easier LOL

Well, Engineering ships and fighting Thargoids was impossible for the first two years or so that I played, as they didn't exist.

Even after I was fairly experienced with the game, it still took me the better part of a month for my CMDR to go from (forced) reset to having a fully outfitted Viper Mk III and total assets in the seven figures.

Back when I was playing 40-60 hours a week, my CMDR couldn't afford an FDL when 1.2 dropped. Only when they cut the price in half a few patches later could I comfortably afford the ship. At the time, I though ~100 million credits in ~1500 hours was pretty reasonable for someone who was a fairly competent combat pilot.

Later, during the initial release of Engineers, each roll was random that entirely replaced the prior roll, and there was only a small chance of getting any experimental effect at all, let alone the precise effect one was looking for. I typically put dozens of G5 rolls into each weapon for my CMDR's ships before getting something close enough...and several hundred rolls into thrusters for my FDL, without getting something competitive/usable. Oh yeah, this was also when material drops were one unit each, not three.

The current state of the game feels almost comically easy compared to it's pre-3.0 incarnations, even if it's an even more convoluted mess.

One guy posted that steam numbers were only 5000 when mining was paying 1.5 mil per ton

this is the chart, and notice that the player count was increasing under that time period from Oct 2019 to the time when they nerfed mining in 2020 that June, and the players like myself stopped playing

Though I do want to know what the heck was new in that 2020 October that the numbers went up again
edit: looks like Horizons went free right then and they got back 5k players

Last edited:
this is the chart, and notice that the player count was increasing under that time period from Oct 2019 to the time when they nerfed mining in 2020 that June, and the players like myself stopped playing

Mining was nerfed in steps, starting with autumn/late autumn 2019 until the final nerfs post EGG, after the carriers launch in June (final nerfs were in July/August 2020 iirc)

The player numbers started to grow due to the hype built by the Carriers announcement, then Carriers Beta (2 Betas actually) then Carriers launch itself.

Though I do want to know what the heck was new in that 2020 October that the numbers went up again

Odyssey hype build up

In June 2020, I was mining LTDs for 1.5 million a ton.
July, they nerfed it and I stopped playing for 2 years.
I only came to the game for the mining. I didn't even know about the carriers at all.

What nerfs were made in 2019?
How much was mining paying in Dec 2019?

imo, that was not hype for odys in Oct 2020, it was horizons being made free to play to owners of ED in that October 2020 after mining nerf

Last edited:
Don't troll hessetant
1. nobody is fighting
2. don't even fame it like fighting
3. read the thread before posting
4. if you had read the thread you know that the core issue is not related to my personal ship

To put it into perspective.
Mining was over 1m per tonne for void opals only for a while. In the right state

Mining now is over 780k per tonne for MANY different things now. More availability, slightly less profit.

So. Was more of a minor rebalance than a nerf.

Tested it and... Just as easy to make money for the same time.

Robigo. Didn't get nerfed. The bgs waxes and wanes. In the right state, is as easy as it has ever been. Also, grinding one run like that is dull. Not recommended. Just do missions anywhere in the galaxy for who you like and get allied then it pays well. Oh, plus BGS now seriously affects payouts especially during things like outbreak. Get rich quick!

Bounty payouts. Got a major boost. Really high bounties available now.

Meta alloys. No trickier than they've ever been.

Missions. Far higher payouts than before. There was a vagary where distance OVER paid for a couple of far locations like Hutton or that one in 36 ophiuchi. That was capped as it was silly.

On foot CZ pay out comfortably 7m to 14m per combat zone in a high one. No nerf there. Easy credits.

Thargoid combat. Pays well. Even for the squitty little ones.

Materials. Used to give you 1 each when you scooped. Is now 3.

Previously there wasn't a material trader so you could trade up for what you needed. Now there is.

I contest your assertion that everything is harder. I counter that with an 'everything is easier'.

No idea why you're equating a mining 'nerf' with an increase in difficulty for new players, but if that's your benchmark...
8D9qZ9F.jpg

...it would seem things were much more difficult when my CMDR did most of his mining (which was before there were collector limpets).

No idea why you're equating a mining 'nerf' with an increase in difficulty for new players, but if that's your benchmark...
8D9qZ9F.jpg

...it would seem things were much more difficult when my CMDR did most of his mining (which was before there were collector limpets).
Pre-Horizons, I can remember having about 500K commodoties traded for 400M something profit to get to Trade Elite.

We disagree about mining
You say you can sell 780k easy anyway
I say 780k is a pipedream- have to find the cores, find the selling spot, and not get taxed for your carrying quantity...
I don't think there is a dispute in places simply not having the demand when you arrive being a frequent occurrence, but maybe there is dispute.

We disagree about Robigo.
My evidence is the prices now and quantity of missions now compared with those shown in Hawkes video pre-nerf
If I am wrong, I am wrong, my sample size is small for this

We disagree about meta alloys
you say same as ever to get them
I say you might want to look at what people are doing with meta alloys today

You claim missions are paying more now compared with what time period?
When the stars align, and I have rep with an expansion system, then I get a good mission payout for sure
other times, I think every mission is like 1 million per pirate I have to kill
So I need more details if that is true, it might be.

12 million foot payout for CZ lol
Mining used to pay 1.5 mil a ton, you are comparing 12 million vs 500 million, you don't seem informed on the disparity in these tasks

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom