What game are we all playing instead of E:D?

Is that legit? Also, I need $ not £.
Yes it's legit, and very good. I buy a lot of Steam games from there. Instant Gaming is another site, but cdkeys tends to be a bit cheaper.

Can you not use PayPal that would convert the currency for you automatically? Probably not the greatest exchange rate in the world, but it's only a tenner so you're talking pennies at most. 🤷‍♀️

Well I checked this out: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elderscrollsvskyrimspecialedition/history/?shop[]=steam&generate=Select+Stores#/

I'll probably just wait until the next Steam sale (rumor is they have a big sale in October). I don't like spreading my credit card all over the Internet, and considering just how addictive modding is, it might actually interfere with real work I need to do around the house and yard before winter gets here! In the meantime I'll enjoy some of these lovely videos on YouTube.

Now if someone would like to gift me the game on Steam, I won't complain! ;)

Can you not use PayPal that would convert the currency for you automatically? Probably not the greatest exchange rate in the world, but it's only a tenner so you're talking pennies at most. 🤷‍♀️
This was me, also I tried using my debit card directly, and then found out that my bank charges 3% exchange fee on top of ridiculous exchange rate, and that was still BETTER than Paypal's. When you buy a lot of games in foreign currencies, that fees pile up quickly. Luckily banks feel the threats from fintech startups like aforementioned revolut, and they slowly change. When they are as good as revolut, I might consider switching back.

Cdkeys is your typical neither-black-nor-white case, which is fitting for a grey market key reseller. They're certainly on the safe side: they sell proper keys that they have acquired themselves legitimately, and are therefore reliable. No stolen keys, no dodgy keys purchased with stolen credit cards, and plenty of people vouching for great customer service. It seems very unlikely you'll run into any issue with them.

As for "legit", well, it depends on how you define it. They are not an approved digital distributor to whom the keys are voluntarily sold for distribution. They purchase key-based retail versions of the games from regions where they are sold cheaper (Russia for example), and make a business of reselling these keys online to other markets. It's likely legal (not a lawyer though so don't quote me on that), but a potential slippery slope as it adds an extra pitfall to regional pricing: selling your game cheaper in countries where income is significantly lower means you might end up losing a fair bit on sales in more prosperous countries that will avail of those keys through the grey market.

It's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, if we really did care a lot for "devs" (caring for QA, marketing, publishing is just so less sexy), we'd buy their games full-price. So it's not like buying stuff on sale on a possibly more ethical store is a massive moral high ground either. Just read up on digital keys, the grey market, their costs and benefits to seller/consumer/intermediary, and find out where your favourite shade of grey lies.

It's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, if we really did care a lot for "devs" (caring for QA, marketing, publishing is just so less sexy), we'd buy their games full-price. So it's not like buying stuff on sale on a possibly more ethical store is a massive moral high ground either. Just read up on digital keys, the grey market, their costs and benefits to seller/consumer/intermediary, and find out where your favourite shade of grey lies.
Well summarised.

I don't use cdkeys for any new indie type game, because it's important to support the devs. I would use Humble instead if the RRP is too high on Steam, because you can choose where your money goes (including charity).

However, in the case of Skyrim SE, I've bought Skyrim many times in various forms, and it doesn't appear to be helping Bethesda make any similar kinds of games that I like in over 5 years (since they've gone online only and micro-transaction crazy), so I'm cool with the 'greyness' here to get a legit copy. I trust that they will have received something for my purchase, since it is a legit key and not a knock-off.

Everyone's mileage varies of course, but I'm happy the option is there. 🤷‍♀️

However, in the case of Skyrim SE, I've bought Skyrim many times in various forms,
This is my thinking as well. I already own Skyrim on PC, and I own Skyrim SE on PS4 (and I bought the PS3 version originally), so paying full price for what I already own is not something that I feel morally obligated to do. Same goes for Elite.

OTOH, a fully-modded Skyrim would almost be like buying a new AAA title, so $39 isn't that expensive. I'll likely wait to see if it goes on sale at Steam in the next few weeks, unless we get a patch of terrible weather and I'm bored and I break down and just buy it at the listed price. Right now my IRL world is turning into Skyrim (fall in New England), so I can wait a little bit, if the weather remains nice.

And on the topic of regional pricing. Origin for example locks games sold in Poland to polish / russian languages almost everytime. I literally cannot buy an English-language game on origin, went as far as to ask support about it. "Buy it retail somewhere else and use code to activate" was the answer. And the price doesn't show signs of any discount whatsoever. So eff origin, I am buying your games from greenmangaming and other sources.

still playing grinding ED for upcoming FC update But have other games (too many to count tbh) to keep the grind from getting stale. Alternating between

RPGs: Bully, RDR 2, Kingdom Come, heavily modded versions of: Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout NV/Fallout 3/Tale of Two Wastelands, GTA V

Simulations: Sims 3

Strategy building Sims: Tropico 5, Civ V

City building: Caesar IV, Zeus Master of Olympus, SimCity 4, Cities: Skylines

Space simulations: Empyrion Galactic & Space Engineers (had some excellent DLC recently drop)

edit: now you can clearly see where my obsession with potentially future ED features the likes of space legs, immersive game environments (i.e. space station interiors, atmospheric planets, FPS 'Goids, space fauna), space weather/Holo Me survival elements, and space crafting/building comes from :LOL:

Last edited:
This Humble Bumble gets mixed reviews (including some very negative ones). What do you folks think about it?
Depends what you mean. There's two things - one is the Humble Bundle, which is a subscription service like Playstation Plus in which you get a few random curated games every month. They're usually pretty varied, and there's one or two "blockbuster" games within. I like it - it means I always have something new to play.

Then there's the Humble Store, which is like cdkeys, in that it gives discounts on PC games (10% off automatically you get the Humble Bundle).

Both are fine. 🤷‍♀️

I m currently dabbling around in Borderlands 3, cannot make myself to touch anything else at the moment. Whenever I grow tired and log out I usually browse various info sites, videos, streams etc and am back in after a short break :)

Well after its launch back in 2016 I didn't think I would say this about NMS but this for me is the best game I have played since elite dangerous. it is the 1st game to really want me to go back into VR and play just a bit more for ages.... have already had a few 1am sessions (harder now when i may be getting up any time after 5:30 in the morning.)

Whilst it is limited in some areas it is just so cool playing in VR. ,(Without it it would not interest me much)

forgetting the lack of galaxy sim and the cartoony visuals, 1 seemingly simple thing where i think FD could really learn from it is the story campaign in it.

whilst everyone essentially gets exactly the same story, because it changes to fit around what ever systems you are flying in it works really well. I am finding the story in NMS lightyears ahead of any narrative in Elite....... Considering both are procedural space games and both are optionally multiplayer, i see no reason at all why FD couldn't implement something similar in ED. It does a really good job of hiding the fact we are all doing the same story, and it is obviously hand crafted which is nice too (albeit with the smaller procedural missions on top as well). The other thing as well is it is entirely optional.... if that kind of scripting thing is not your bag then just ignore it.

I also love the abilty to find wrecked ships and to be able to salvage them to fly again. I think FD could do a much better job of this however

This is the only single player game i am playing at the moment (also dabbling with Dead Rising 3 in coop)

Last edited:
Speaking of NMS in VR, how does it work on the Rift S? I'm thinking of getting a Rift someday.
not tried it myself but i hear it works pretty well.... its not a game which relies on tracking controllers behind your back (personally i play it seated).

it works for psvr so i would not be concerned about it in rifts... but again, i play it on riftCV1 so feel free to ignore me and wait for somone else.

Top Bottom