What happens with ED in far future

Given the last twenty years and how phones have changed, Cloud Servers will become a thing of the past. So small they will become they will be distributed directly to your router with a license key. ISP's will then offer subscription entertainment packages with Elite and other on-Line games, locally and home hosted, right along side your favorite sports channels.
I'd rather bet my money on the opposite solution, because Moore's Law is dead, but our bandwidth continues to grow. The only way to continue computer computing growth is parallelisation and that is happening in big companies that are offering cloud gaming (Nvidia's GRID, Google's Stadia, Microsoft's xCloud). There are many benefits for game studios: support for all devices (you need only a display and an input device), no hassle with installation and crossplay out-of-the-box are three biggest that I can think of.

I'd rather bet my money on the opposite solution, because Moore's Law is dead, but our bandwidth continues to grow. The only way to continue computer computing growth is parallelisation and that is happening in big companies that are offering cloud gaming (Nvidia's GRID, Google's Stadia, Microsoft's xCloud). There are many benefits for game studios: support for all devices (you need only a display and an input device), no hassle with installation and crossplay out-of-the-box are three biggest that I can think of.

I attended some seminary years ago with Ansys and they were developing such "cloud computing network". They said you could even use the computational power of all computers from the administration office during lunch break to speed up your iterations. Unfortunately after so many years this is still not a thing and you still need a big cluster computer to run complex simulations so I start thinking that cloud computing will remain a niche.

David Braben said they take snapshots of the game every so often, and planned to release said snapshots in the event of the game ever shutting down, in response to a question about Archiving and saving of games for historical reasons.
I'm skeptical this will actually happen. David says all sorts of things, but actions speak louder than words. IIRC, he's actively opposed his old partner Ian Bell releasing the code for the original 8-bit 1984 Elite, and that is truly a "sunset" game.

I'm hoping perhaps someday we'll get an open source version of ED like OOlite (perhaps the ED version will be called "OOheavy", LOL). I'll be in a nursing home by then, but hey, even an old guy can dream!

No matter the years that pass, the new content and narratives, the drama in and out of game
I will still be flying my Sidewinder til the end

I attended some seminary years ago with Ansys and they were developing such "cloud computing network". They said you could even use the computational power of all computers from the administration office during lunch break to speed up your iterations. Unfortunately after so many years this is still not a thing and you still need a big cluster computer to run complex simulations so I start thinking that cloud computing will remain a niche.
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. 20 years ago we used computers from the administration office over night to speed up our raytracing.
Cloud computing networks are Microsoft's Azure or Amazon's AWS - datacenters connected in a network.

Gaming on demand is already a thing, all you need is a browser.

I'm skeptical this will actually happen. David says all sorts of things, but actions speak louder than words. IIRC, he's actively opposed his old partner Ian Bell releasing the code for the original 8-bit 1984 Elite, and that is truly a "sunset" game.

I'm hoping perhaps someday we'll get an open source version of ED like OOlite (perhaps the ED version will be called "OOheavy", LOL). I'll be in a nursing home by then, but hey, even an old guy can dream!

The code, maybe (No idea, never heard about that) but David Braben was very much in favour of releasing the game itself for free.

Afaik publishing source code was never an option, but since the original 8-bit game was written in assembler anyways, it's not a problem for anyone who knows assembler to disassemble it. I did it when I was 15.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. 20 years ago we used computers from the administration office over night to speed up our raytracing.
Cloud computing networks are Microsoft's Azure or Amazon's AWS - datacenters connected in a network.

Gaming on demand is already a thing, all you need is a browser.
I guess we are simply on different business then. Things that are old school in software development are still a far and distant future in engineering simulations.

Releasing a snapshot of the whole galaxy in future would be a great idea. As few of you said other online game servers are killed and game is simply dead its true but I do not imagine that FD allow to kill ED because... it's ELITE for Thargoid sake! Old FD games aren't online so we can install them even now and play. For sure they figure out something with ED also.
Mine point is that every CMDR here and there spend lot of time (real cash also for cosmetics) in game, so killing game would be just a big mistake really BIG.

I'm not playing many games, but if I play I want spent mine game time for playing ED why? the anserw is obvious.

Top Bottom