What I don't like about Elite

I do love the game, but some stuff is just missing or not good enough. Some of it will hopefully be addressed during Beyond.

Lack of NPC wings and crew
Seriously, we need them.

The game sucks at story telling
Events should spawn personal missions that guide us to the relevant spots, add NPC chatter about recent events, also make use of the inbox.

Missions are still boring
They are way better thant they used to be at release though. But still, how about you use some of the CQC assets to make missions more interesting? And the (probably) best and most complex missions like infiltrating a base are way too confusing for most players.

CZ, USS, RES and planetary POI mechanics
They all look like very bad placeholders to me. For CZs use special assets, also add them above planetary bases and around stations. USS should spawn per instance, once you enter a system every USS should already be there. RES are completely unrealistic and should be removed completely. Instead add mining and pirate outposts and distress calls in rings. The blue POI mechanic just sucks, get rid of it.

Lack of persistent NPCs
These random spawns everywhere just aren't believable.

Not enough bounty hunting mechanics
We can't track down other players and since NPCs aren't persistent it doesn't feel like we are hunting anybody. Maybe there should be a few handcrafted NPCs that get spawned each month and we could hunt them?

Not enough exploration mechanics
Give us more tools and more stuff to find. There are dozens of great concepts out there.

Not enough trading mechanics
Production chains and supply should make some sense. When I have an industrial station which produces A and requires B output should be increased when they have lots of B and decreased when they don't have lots of B. This should also change the prices. It seems like better trading tools are coming.

Not enough crime mechanics
I can't even demand cargo from NPCs!

No chat system for NPCs
See above, let me demand cargo, let me apologise for friendly fire, let me just say hello to them.

No cockpit cats
What else do I need to say?

The Engineers
Because they made Open completely unbalanced when it comes to Traders vs Pirates. Also because of all the RNG and also because everything related to them doesn't make any sense, like magical special effects etc.

All defensive modules like SCBs, SBs, MRPs, HRPs
because they made Open completely unbalanced when it comes to Traders vs Pirates.

Just one CMDR slot
I don't want to buy all expansions and paintjobs again just because I want to start from scratch. Simply sell CMDR slots in the store.

Reaching some stations takes too long
Yes, I get the whole space is big idea but it just isn't fun watching the screen for 20 minutes.

No orrey map
This would be great to navigate between planets and see the USS that could get spawned when you enter the system.

Powerplay
They should make use of the mission system instead of these stupid grind mechanics, it should also be tied to the BGS.

System security is a joke
How hard can it be? Make crimes almost impossible in high sec systems and make staying in low sec systems very dangerous.

No CMDRs log
I want a CMDRs log where I can store all kinds of information about Engineers, visited tourist beacons, stuff that I learned about the lore and story

Remove the CQC rank in right hand panel
Or at least make it optional.

PS
I do realise that this is just my personal opinion and that someone else might want something completely different like more mulitplayer features, base building, guilds, etc. That's fine, it just isn't my priority for the game.

Last edited:
How hard can it be? Make crimes almost impossible in high sec systems and make staying in low sec systems very dangerous.

This has been a bugbear of mine for years. In other MMO type games, if you commit murder, a bunch of uber-tough NPCs turn up....and kill you! Why don't we have this in high-security/CG systems? Current System Security is not fit for purpose.

CZ, USS, RES and planetary POI mechanics
They all look like very bad placeholders to me. For CZs use special assets, also add them above planetary bases and around stations. USS should spawn per instance, once you enter a system every USS should already be there. RES are completely unrealistic and should be removed completely. Instead add mining and pirate outposts and distress calls in rings. The blue POI mechanic just sucks, get rid of it.

I kinda agree with most of them, except with few caveats...and I have comments on this one. USS spawn spatially since 2.1 I think (I personally find that big improvement), and do they spawn by client or they are authorized by server is something i don't know but I expect could be done by authority of server. Can they be made even more persistent - not 100% sure, or do I even want all of them be shared between players. But I think they can be improved.

I kinda like your idea for RES...although I find fun to fly around and shoot ships in them. But if there's better alternative that flows better - I won't mind.

As for blue POI not sure what you mean by that - they need to indicate it is that POI you need to visit somehow...people complained they have to check lots of SS to find what they want.

I suspect that's why it is hard - they don't want it to be almost impossible. They want it to be possible, but being high stakes. At the moment it is out of balance anyway. Let's see what Q1 brings.

No chat system for NPCs
See above, let me demand cargo, let me apologise for friendly fire, let me just say hello to them.

Yeah, NPC comms....want them badly :)

Last edited:
One of your points, the defensive modules, is one of the factors that started the game to go down on a slippery slope, abetted by engineering.

It's a weapons race, point counter-point. It would be hard to stop and reverse.

Certainly a topic that has been broadly discussed but tough to answer.

Last edited:
As for blue POI not sure what you mean by that - they need to indicate it is that POI you need to visit somehow...people complained they have to check lots of SS to find what they want.
Not the blue mission indicator but the blue circle when you search for planetary POIs. I think planets should spawn only a handful of fixed POIs based on size and position of the planet per instance. That would be better than the complete random approach with the annoying blue disappearing and reappearing circle... We could scan them with various scanners, better scanners means more information about the POI type.

I would agree with most of those points only in the observations and sentiment that they could be improved upon with some of them seeming placeholders for future content. That said, I'm completely understanding that due to what Sandro responded with "time and resources", that those points mentioned just hadn't been followed up yet on the priority list and hopefully with Beyond touted with a revamp of core mechanics could look at some of them. Otherwise, everything else that works and is featured on ED as the game & simulation that it is now is amazing to me and more than makes up for most perceived deficiencies where I would be of the sentiment where I'd wish they were improved as I couldn't really feel I didn't like them as I love the game too much also.

I would like to see powerplay specific missions on the board too, perhaps even a separate category similar to how passengers lounge has its own ( or a pp missions board within the "powers contact" tab screens )

Last edited:
Not the blue mission indicator but the blue circle when you search for planetary POIs. I think planets should spawn only a handful of fixed POIs based on size and position of the planet per instance. That would be better than the complete random approach with the annoying blue disappearing and reappearing circle... We could scan them with various scanners, better scanners means more information about the POI type.

Ahhh that one. It feels incomplete or at least unexplained, I am ready to bet many people don't know what those blue things mean. I don't mind it but if there's something better comes for this - I am all for it.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Ahhh that one. It feels incomplete or at least unexplained. I don't mind it but if there's something better comes for this - I am all for it.

I believe my proposal would also help meeting other CMDRs in the game. Currently everyone doesn't know what the next guy is up to and every POI is spawned for you individually. If the POIs and USS would be fixed per instance it would mean that many CMDRs (or NPCs when you are in Solo) go after the same targets where you would potentially meet them.

PS
Of course this also means that you could possibly run into a "depleted" POI unless they go the usual respawning MMO route, but that's the price I am willing to pay for a better mechanic.

Last edited:
This has been a bugbear of mine for years. In other MMO type games, if you commit murder, a bunch of uber-tough NPCs turn up....and kill you! Why don't we have this in high-security/CG systems? Current System Security is not fit for purpose.

Particularly annoying is that the 1983 iteration managed this.

Yes, more complex now. You could make it so that in high security systems police are everywhere and on the scene in less than 10 seconds in numbers, and are tougher than Players and even if they can't kill you they can 'stun' your hyperspace drive for 30 minutes (once per 30 mins and if no civil war) Ships with stunned fsd's cannot dock*, making it so that police chase you all around the system.

Even if you aren't killed, you are out of action for 30 minutes making high security systems safer. Piracy wouldn't be possible, but then it shouldn't be in high security systems.

Pvp duels would still be possible with crimes turned off.

*unless there is also a criminal dock in system or perhaps if you are allied to faction and pay a large bribe.

Last edited:

Absolutely terrible the blue POI circle on the ground.
Remember they nerfed them so you were unlikely to spot them from the ship, usless Fdev.

In which case they would be farmable though. Not sure if I'd like that...

My idea would be that they still spawn randomly for your session but are fixed as long as you are in the same instance. They also wouldn't respawn so you can't farm them and your scanners would only give you some information so you don't necessarily know which POI you will encounter exactly. Just if it's natural, man made or alien (and maybe a little bit more information if you got some real good scanners that don't exist yet).

Last edited:
I believe my proposal would also help meeting other CMDRs in the game. Currently everyone doesn't know what the next guy is up to and every POI is spawned for you individually. If the POIs and USS would be fixed per instance it would mean that many CMDRs (or NPCs when you are in Solo) go after the same targets where you would potentially meet them.

PS
Of course this also means that you could possibly run into a "depleted" POI unless they go the usual respawning MMO route, but that's the price I am willing to pay for a better mechanic.

They are called persistent POIs and they are appearing more and more. I don't think they can add all SS as persistent things because people really look for different things. Said that, isn't that if player which is seen in supercruise instance takes upon signal source, it becomes visible to everyone? At least his low wake definitely is.

Last edited:
They are called persistent POIs and they are appearing more and more. I don't they can add all SS as persistent things because people really look for different things.

I know about persistent POIs like geysers or surface settlements. But that's not what I am trying to describe. These POIs wouldn't really be persistent, they would just be persistent per instance. Once you quite the game and restart it the system would spawn another set of POIs in different locations.

I know about persistent POIs like geysers or surface settlements. But that's not what I am trying to describe. These POIs wouldn't really be persistent, they would just be persistent per instance. Once you quite the game and restart it the system would spawn another set of POIs in different locations.

No, what I meant is persistent POIs in space. As for signal sources in both space and ground as I said I suspect they get shared when instance gets shared, especially if players are close by. This needs to be verified of course :)

I think all this just indicates that there might be mechanic underneath, it is not really well discoverable, I can give you that.

Also SS are spatial by nature at this point, so they are kinda session persistent.

No, what I meant is persistent POIs in space. As for signal sources in both space and ground as I said I suspect they get shared when instance gets shared, especially if players are close by. This needs to be verified of course :)

I think all this just indicates that there might be mechanic underneath, it is not really well discoverable, I can give you that.

I hope you are right ;)

Top Bottom