General / Off-Topic What If .... Frontier Licensed The Cobra Engine?

What if Frontier licensed out the use of their Cobra engine to other game developers to make games on?
Would Frontier possibly make a bucket-full of money? After all Epic founded their empire with their own game engine (I can't remember if they own Unity or Unreal Engine 4) and they used their own engine to make Fortnite .... and we know how that turned out.

So what if Frontier allowed others to make games on their own engine. It has shown it can be used for a variety of games from big epic space sims like Elite Dangerous, to management games like Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo and Jurassic World Evolution and even make platformers like Lostwinds (you'd forgotten about that one, had'nt you :p ) It was also making The Outsider ( we think that was going to be a first person style game similar to Watchdogs, but only Frontier really know)

Now, I have no expection that Frontier ever will license the Cobra engine, as a company, they are very protective of everything they own. But what if they did license it? :p

In a sense, that would be like selling/licensing the keys to the kingdom and any third party would also need to have access to the source code as well.

It would be the same as Microsoft selling the core of it's OS for others to build shells on top of.

If you look at Linux this way, the source code (open) is used to build different shells, but it's still Linux, just in different flavors and some are not as good as others.

They have already license it to one game developer but the name wasn't revealed, not sure if it was for a new game or to help the maintenance of a existing game. It something Braben have said he wants to do repeatedly.

Handing the keys to the kingdom to everyone isn't a bad thing to do either. Square Enix is switching a lot of their production production to Unreal 4 engine, FF7 remake because their a tonne of artists, developers who either been trained or self taught in Unreal 4 engine. This would give Frontier over time access to a much greater talent pool.

If he does release the cobra engine, I suspect it will be tied to his aim of help UK children to program, and Raspberry PI stuff. Which is he a trustee off. May be a simplified game development tool, think Planet coaster but with a programing language layered on top, access to the underlining engine, with additional tools for animations, particle effects and lighting an character creation from elite. It certainly how I go about it, instead of trying to take on Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4 straight out.

Last edited:
If he does release the cobra engine, I suspect it will be tied to his aim of help UK children to program, and Raspberry PI stuff. Which is he a trustee off.
I just want to address the wording you used. It could be confused for speculation. Let me clarify here (as I started this) There is NO indication Braben or Frontier will release the Cobra engine. It's not even speculation. It is only and purely a "what if" conversation topic. No more, no less.

They used to mention Cobra quite prominently on their corporate web presence. These days they seem to display themselves more like a pure "games company" though, which may change if they go through with becoming a bit of a publisher.

These days, they'd be competing against very complete development environments, e.g., Unity or Unreal, and even small projects may as well boostrap from "raw" graphics, sound, and input APIs with little effort.

In a sense, that would be like selling/licensing the keys to the kingdom and any third party would also need to have access to the source code as well.
Unlikely they'd need to have access to the source code; more likely the cobra engine would be provided as a set of APIs and libraries would be provided. That's how most third-party tools work.

Top Bottom