Ships What is the difference between thermal load and distributor draw?

Magic
PD is always able to distribute more power than PP is able to produce.

The PD is just storing potential energy. Even a small motor can fill a water tower storing an enormous amount of potential energy that can do much more powerful work than the single motor that filled the tower can do by itself , it just takes time to fill the tower. A capacitor works the same way.

About the art of control, if you do not know.
Many gankers and excellent pilots control pips with macros and/or voice, so it's not the art of handling.

The power plant can only supply so many electrons at any given moment. You get the task of distributing those electrons and prioritizing where they go (which capacitor). That determines their charge rates relative to one another. Getting away from the over-thinking electrical description...

The analogy of filling a water storage vessel is quite a good start. Now imagine that you have a few water vessels to fill (3 in this case) with that one fill-pump. You must determine which vessel you'd like to fill at the highest rate (and 2nd and 3rd) based upon the needs of the thirsty folk draining each of the vessels. 🚰
In this scheme the distributor is the "sharing" valve that diverts the water flow at the chosen rate to the 3 vessels (any one of which could be receiving zero flow* at times).
All of the vessels have drain ports that can (alas) outpace their fill rates unless (in some cases) the sharing valve happens to be diverting the highest rate into that particular vessel.
You can apply this analogy to energy storage/consumption and to cooling capacity/use.

Back to the over-thinking: this is a relatively common scheme and is rather efficient, allowing numerous components of the system to operate at a constant, optimal pace (or a comfortable range) while making fewer components of the system strain in order to adjust/adapt.

* This is indeed a simplistic analogy. For example, in-game if I'm messing around in the RES or the CZ, I can have zero PIPs to engines and fly around (no boost) without worrying about not being able to move, or worrying about my engines overheating. Ok, so we have a leaky sharing valve - that explains everything, right? ;)
except where the water goes when all the vessels are full - darn! Oh and this detail, and that one, and - Ahh!

Less tech, more gaming... :)

The power plant can only supply so many electrons at any given moment. You get the task of distributing those electrons and prioritizing where they go (which capacitor). That determines their charge rates relative to one another. Getting away from the over-thinking electrical description...

The analogy of filling a water storage vessel is quite a good start. Now imagine that you have a few water vessels to fill (3 in this case) with that one fill-pump. You must determine which vessel you'd like to fill at the highest rate (and 2nd and 3rd) based upon the needs of the thirsty folk draining each of the vessels. 🚰
In this scheme the distributor is the "sharing" valve that diverts the water flow at the chosen rate to the 3 vessels (any one of which could be receiving zero flow* at times).
All of the vessels have drain ports that can (alas) outpace their fill rates unless (in some cases) the sharing valve happens to be diverting the highest rate into that particular vessel.
You can apply this analogy to energy storage/consumption and to cooling capacity/use.

Back to the over-thinking: this is a relatively common scheme and is rather efficient, allowing numerous components of the system to operate at a constant, optimal pace (or a comfortable range) while making fewer components of the system strain in order to adjust/adapt.

* This is indeed a simplistic analogy. For example, in-game if I'm messing around in the RES or the CZ, I can have zero PIPs to engines and fly around (no boost) without worrying about not being able to move, or worrying about my engines overheating. Ok, so we have a leaky sharing valve - that explains everything, right? ;)
except where the water goes when all the vessels are full - darn! Oh and this detail, and that one, and - Ahh!

Less tech, more gaming... :)
Sorry, but the example with water can not be.
Because if there is more power than the power plant gives, this module will immediately shut down. If the water example worked, the module would have to shut down after all the energy from the PD has been exhausted.

The PD is just storing potential energy. Even a small motor can fill a water tower storing an enormous amount of potential energy that can do much more powerful work than the single motor that filled the tower can do by itself , it just takes time to fill the tower. A capacitor works the same way.

It still doesn't add up.
Magic works better

Sorry, but the example with water can not be.
Because if there is more power than the power plant gives, this module will immediately shut down. If the water example worked, the module would have to shut down after all the energy from the PD has been exhausted.
Trying to explain electrical systems in terms of water pipes never really works out, except at a superficial level. They are very different things.

The wep durations are all computed in Coriolis shipyard - have a play around and get used to it. Its in the Offence tab at the bottom of the ship config.

The same data is in ED shipyard in a more condensed format - look in the wep panel under DUR for distro drain time.

Ship heat and weapon heat are different. If you go outside with your camera and watch a multi-cannon, you can see the heat fins expand out as you fire. Its cute!

I'd recommend getting a krait mk ii and then you wont need to worry about distro and heat - boost all you like, keep 3 efficient large beams running for ever, watch npc ships disappear..

Trying to explain electrical systems in terms of water pipes never really works out, except at a superficial level. They are very different things.
I agree. It's just that if there is a scale (key 4) which shows the consumption of all modules in relation to the total energy. And if the consumption is lower, the energy will always be enough and it should not be affected by any pips.

But when there is not enough energy for all modules then yes, redirecting the energy consumption can make some other modules work.

I hope the translator translated my phrase correctly.

Your posts are giving me a headache. It is a game not the math to send live people to Mars and back. Still have fun with theoretical physics in a game that blows away all physics per faster than light speeds. Otherwise we would have infinite mass approaching the speed of light. Thank goodness it is only a game. Enjoy the moment.

Otherwise we would have infinite mass approaching the speed of light.

yea, but the game elegantly avoids this trap at lore level - you see, we never get close to light speed. I get the feeling we dont even get any faster than what our normal drives are able to.
Compress the space around you (a lot) then move in that compressed space with 300m/s... for an outside observer you are gone in an instant
For you, you still move with 300 m/s - no relativity is involved

Abandoned the theory and went for a practical test. Got a couple of SRB beams and put them on a Vulture. Slight buff in damage output compared to overcharged and double the distributor time. The extra thermal load I don’t notice with TV experimental. Tried the out in Haz Res and they work well. Vulture can keep in close and if you keep an eye on the range and only open up when within 1k you can eat the shield in seconds and take down a power plant very quickly.

Abandoned the theory and went for a practical test. Got a couple of SRB beams and put them on a Vulture. Slight buff in damage output compared to overcharged and double the distributor time. The extra thermal load I don’t notice with TV experimental. Tried the out in Haz Res and they work well. Vulture can keep in close and if you keep an eye on the range and only open up when within 1k you can eat the shield in seconds and take down a power plant very quickly.
Abandoning theory for practical is sensible. That said, seeing practice match the theorising is gratifying :D

Thanks for reporting back. I've never considered SRB beams but I've always liked efficient.

Abandoning theory for practical is sensible. That said, seeing practice match the theorising is gratifying :D

Thanks for reporting back. I've never considered SRB beams but I've always liked efficient.
Efficient are good and use a lot myself, but the SRB experiment is interesting. Although damage falloff is faster, because you start with a higher base damage efficient only delivers more damage over 1k. The 2 caveats are having a manoeuvrable ship you can keep close and having a beefy enough distributor, not because SRB is bad, but you don’t get the 45% reduction in draw that efficient offers.

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Banned
One can also find wisdom for your life in the differences between distributor draw and thermal load. An example also helps one gain a firmer grasp of these differences in game; and for that I'll use an example from a pitiful side of my own existence.

Distributor draw is when my suck the life out of you ex-wife from hell is the reduced level of life she sucks out of me that my mind can suffer. Exceed that envelope and that's when things boil over; and that is what thermal load is.
(but in all fairness, she don't do that no more ever since buried her between the fence and the shed, right under her favorite patch of poison ivy😜🤪🤣)

Last edited:
Top Bottom