Newcomer / Intro What is the most efficient way to find that Mission Related Signal Source?

Ok... While traveling from the star (Dormi) to a station for refueling (near Dormi 1, planet) o blue contact appeared on my screen.
However due to my speed (FDS), I lost it quick.
How can I find it again? It does not appear on my Navigation destinations, nor contacts.

I just can understand what am I doing wrong here... Unless it's a bug.
I was going up and down the system (after I get the message from Nav beacon), set my filters on my scanner and examined all the sources.
None related to my mission, none had the blue icon on the left (which appears on the system only)

Honestly, if you've been looking for it this long, I'd probably just abandon the mission and try a different one... That said.

If you haven't already done it, jump out of the system and then back in. This might prompt the game to spawn the target again. You shouldn't need to scan the nav beacon again, in fact if you've already scanned it correctly, even if you do drop out and scan it again, nothing will happen.

When the mission critical message just states the system name (no number after it) it is referencing the star, so that is where the signal source should turn up. No need to go hunting elsewhere.

You got one 'Mission related signal source' message but were going too fast. When you get such a message, immediately throttle to zero and then find the source in the nav panel, select it and then start turning your ship around to look for it.

If it still doesn't spawn after that, I would try using the FSS (assuming you know how to use it and have bindings set to control it). Open the FSS and charge it. Some signals will appear on the energy spectrum (the line at the bottom). Move your tuner over the signals, the ones you are after will be to the far left of the spectrum and will be identified as signal sources (or USS) by text (bottom right). Then simply pan around the skybox looking for little circles that will show up as solid when you center on them, and zoom in. If / when you find the correct, mission related one you will have the option to target it, exit the FSS and fly to it.

It used to be the case that mission targets that spawned by the star as opposed to by a different body in the system sometimes didn't spawn correctly (a bug), but personally I haven't found that to be the case for a long time. If having to abandon the mission will make things very difficult for you, for example if you would get a fine that you cannot afford, the you can try to submit a support ticket and they may be able to help you out, otherwise just abandon it and take another mission which will likely undo any negative affect of having to abandon this one. Hint: Accept a new mission before you abandon this one so your reputation doesn't drop and prevent you from accepting a new mission. ;)

Top Bottom