What other games are we all playing?

Exactly this, people expected ME4 but it wasn't and they can't get over it.
When you look at Andromeda as a new space story and don't compare it to ME 1, 2, and 3 then you've got a pretty good game imho.

I dont agree at all. I was perfectly fine with the concept of a new ME without the old characters, but the story and especially the dialogue was so completely asinine I had to force myself to finish the game. They were so clearly so rushed internal consistency was never much of an objective to the point of it being intentionally funny. Like how some alien asks me to explain what 'money' is (really? This old cliche?) while meanwhile one of his buddies is yelling at me from his store ten feet away about how my money is as good as theirs.

When the game started, we invaded a new galaxy, ran into some aliens who we immediately executed because they felt threatened by us I had high hopes: surely we would get an interesting perspective with us being the scary invading aliens for a change! Nope. The entire thing was just shrugged of as 'just look at them, they are evil, kill 'em its all good!'.

EA has been pretty open about the horror-show that was ME:A's development, and I can sympathize with that. Not every ambitious project succeeds, and sometimes you fail so badly the final outcome isn't even decent enough for a 'regular game'. Fine. I'm also all for a new ME game. ME:A was a dud, it happens, lets learn from the mistakes and try again. But please don't give EA the impression we're actually cool with the result of their self-admitted failure, or they wont even try next time.

And as for what I am playing:
Source: https://i.imgur.com/xOH1qtP.png

Also added Wasteland 2: Directors Cut for free from GOG. :)

EA has been pretty open about the horror-show that was ME:A's development, and I can sympathize with that. Not every ambitious project succeeds, and sometimes you fail so badly the final outcome isn't even decent enough for a 'regular game'. Fine. I'm also all for a new ME game. ME:A was a dud, it happens, lets learn from the mistakes and try again. But please don't give EA the impression we're actually cool with the result of their self-admitted failure, or they wont even try next time.

I think the way they dropped ME:A was appalling. Other games have poor launches, where they are released half-baked or with poor design choices. Real software companies don't throw their customers under a bus when that happens - they continue to work, and fix the issues - whether they be big or small.

X-Rebirth is a good example of this. Utter trainwreck of a game, they got almost everything wrong at launch, but Egosoft spent 2+ years working on it & trying to make it better, whilst simultaneously planning another game in the franchise that did it right (X4). That has some issues too, but they're working on them, and it's almost mature now. See the pattern?

I think the way they dropped ME:A was appalling. Other games have poor launches, where they are released half-baked or with poor design choices. Real software companies don't throw their customers under a bus when that happens - they continue to work, and fix the issues - whether they be big or small.

X-Rebirth is a good example of this. Utter trainwreck of a game, they got almost everything wrong at launch, but Egosoft spent 2+ years working on it & trying to make it better, whilst simultaneously planning another game in the franchise that did it right (X4). That has some issues too, but they're working on them, and it's almost mature now. See the pattern?

Sure (and I agree with you about X:R, it truly became a fine game as long as you didnt treat it as an X3 successor), but there is a difference: EgoSoft is a small studio, that has only one IP, where they have a reputation of releasing steaming hot garbage that they slowly shape into a great game over years. ES had no choice but to fix X:R; it was either that or the end of their studio. EA has piles upon piles of IPs, and their choices are made by accountants and boards of directors. In this case it simply made sense to cut their losses and move on. They have been screwing over their customers for two decades now, and there never is any real push-back. They are arguably the most despised company in the industry but their reputation doesn't hurt them much, if at all. Don't forget they invested a LOT in ME:A, and gave the studio massive amounts of freedom. I don't like how it ended up, and would have preferred if EA would have invested even more to make it more fun to me, but in the end they are a company and they have to make decisions that make sense from a financial point of view. In cases like this I feel I, as a customer, should either accept it (and decide whether to do further business with them or not) or start my own game studio.

They are doing exactly this with Anthem, btw.
They keep it alive and prepare for massive re-work.

Sure (and I agree with you about X:R, it truly became a fine game as long as you didnt treat it as an X3 successor), but there is a difference: EgoSoft is a small studio, that has only one IP, where they have a reputation of releasing steaming hot garbage that they slowly shape into a great game over years. ES had no choice but to fix X:R; it was either that or the end of their studio. EA has piles upon piles of IPs, and their choices are made by accountants and boards of directors. In this case it simply made sense to cut their losses and move on. They have been screwing over their customers for two decades now, and there never is any real push-back. They are arguably the most despised company in the industry but their reputation doesn't hurt them much, if at all. Don't forget they invested a LOT in ME:A, and gave the studio massive amounts of freedom. I don't like how it ended up, and would have preferred if EA would have invested even more to make it more fun to me, but in the end they are a company and they have to make decisions that make sense from a financial point of view. In cases like this I feel I, as a customer, should either accept it (and decide whether to do further business with them or not) or start my own game studio.

Ultimately, these decisions will come back and bite them in the posterior. They should take lessons from Sierra. It was the last EA game I bought, and I had to think hard about it too. But... it was Mass Effect so what else could I do? I'm not sure I'll make that mistake again... certainly haven't since.

You're right, they have a lot of IPs, and if you are only looking at bottom line, then there's really no need for them to ever produce any original content at all. They'll keep on making FIFA and Madden, and people will still buy them. :confused:

Interestingly, Egosoft left their publisher shortly after the release of X: R and went independent. It would be great if the likes of Bioware would do the same. They were a great games company... once.

Taking a break from RDR2 and now kinda hooked on American Truck Simulator. I always avoided it before, mostly due to seeing people compare it to trucking in ED which I found tedious, but I took the plunge yesterday since the base game was heavily discounted on Steam ($4.95 for the base game and dlc running around 50-70% off) and am having a ridiculous amount of fun with it. Totally engrossing! For what it's worth I would never dream of comparing it to hauling in ED as I can't find any similarities beyond the fact that you are hauling cargo from point A to point B.

Last edited:
Playing The Outer Worlds at the moment while my Battlefield 5 batteries recharge.

Really enjoying it, aside from a slightly off putting color palette which is too neon bright at times, the game is very enjoyable and has some really great features. Good to see that obsidian can still make a decent game. The story is nicely set and the combat is fun.

Been busy building my Railjack (space ship) in Warframe's and that has taken up a lot of my gaming time getting the resources required. It is a pity that this expansion is not aimed at new players as it would get more people into the game I think.

Mainly Star Citizen for the past couple of months. I'm also itching to get back on trucking in ETS and ATS but with limited desk space there is only so much room for peripherals, thus the wheel remains tucked away for the time being.

Just finished Mass Effect Andromeda. A great game "Mass Effect Four it wasnt" Shepard is dead.
Good story line, good voice acting, great grafix.
Can't even understand where peeps come from. Saying it was unfinished, poorly made, and rushed out the door.
One patch fixed 90% of any faults.
Just reinstalled MW4 and both dlc. So disappointed MW5 bailed on steam and went to epic.
I'll wait another year or two to buy it at a cheap sale.
Still rocking Battle Tech.

All the talk about new MS flightsim reignited my interest in civilian flying. Admiring peaceful clouds from my office in Prepar3d:

9t9mg0k.png

EFKWS0A.png

I'm trying to get into Witcher 3 again (gave up ~15 hours in last time).

I love the books, I'm excited about the Netflix series starting on Friday, but the games just don't seem to click with me for some reason...
You're doing better than me. 4 hours tops before the combat completely kills the game for me.

Why I bought it I have no idea. You'd think I'd of learnt from 1+2 😟

Been busy building my Railjack (space ship) in Warframe's and that has taken up a lot of my gaming time getting the resources required. It is a pity that this expansion is not aimed at new players as it would get more people into the game I think.
Grind has to start somewhere you know (mastery lvl 18, over 1000h in Warframe ;)
Oh and Elite grind is like a preschool grind to Warframe's, the difference being WF is free to play 😂

Top Bottom