What other games are we all playing?

I always pick up a few games during the Steam sale. I'm leaving my current home with fabulous internet and heading to my new property in a few days which will have extremely limited internet (in terms of speed, not data), and since I'm unaware of how that's going to effect my download speeds, I picked up some games and got them installed just in case that becomes a problem. Probably several years worth at the pace I've been gaming lately lolol.

A few notables were Final Fantasy XV, Shadow of War, Hardspace Shipbreaker, Jedi Fallen Order and The Hunter Call of the Wild. I also re-downloaded a bunch of stuff that had been gathering dust such as Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda
That is a great selection of games.
For the chuckles I've tallied up my hours in these games (I've played al of them except the Shipbreaker).
Final Fantasy XV - 150 hours
Shadow of War - 55 hours
Jedi Fallen Order - 85 hours
The Hunter - 210 hours
DA: Inquisition - 460 hours
ME: Andromeda - 170 hours
---------------------------------------
Total - 1130 hours

I'd wager that will keep you entertained for a bit. :D

The desktop showed 117% fragmentation on the SATA C:\ drive.

First time I'd seen that...didn't think that was possible. Running disk repair now. I think the MBR has been at my meds...

The laptop can run Elite between 24 and 48 FPS, and 60 FPS when idle. Minimum graphic settings are used. The native MB graphics are holding up.

Lots of smaller games to play.

So if I own Stellaris (I do), is there no point in buying Endless Space 2 or Galactic Civilizations 3? Answer quickly, as the sale ends today!

So if I own Stellaris (I do), is there no point in buying Endless Space 2 or Galactic Civilizations 3? Answer quickly, as the sale ends today!
Endless Space is a unique IP. The Endless franchise has fantasy offspring and features a dedicatedly outstanding music composer (FlybyNo). Uses classic instruments in various arrangements. I recommend listening out to some stuff. I consider worth having it for the music alone. ES 2 itself is turn-based and a step up from ES 1 in my eyes.
GalCiv is nothing I would spend a penny on.

In a fit of madness, I’ve returned to Mars for a little while. I don’t normally chase achievements, but for some reason I’ve been doing so in Surviving Mars. I’ve finally completed the “Space Capitalism” (the rarest one to get) achievement, and I have every intention of completing the last two: “Dream of a Green Mars,” and “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”

Steam Sales eat at my soul, because these are such good deals, but I already have a library full (for a minimalist) of games I haven't played much yet, so I'm resisting the terrible temptation!

Seriously, it will take me a lifetime to play all unplayed games on my PC and PS4....

Endless Space is a unique IP. The Endless franchise has fantasy offspring and features a dedicatedly outstanding music composer (FlybyNo). Uses classic instruments in various arrangements. I recommend listening out to some stuff. I consider worth having it for the music alone. ES 2 itself is turn-based and a step up from ES 1 in my eyes.
GalCiv is nothing I would spend a penny on.

Just to show how much this stuff varies from person to person, I actually find GalCiv to be my favorite 4X franchise ever, I prefer it even over Stellaris, while on the other hand I find Endless Space a bit meh. :)

Steam Sales eat at my soul, because these are such good deals, but I already have a library full (for a minimalist) of games I haven't played much yet, so I'm resisting the terrible temptation!

Seriously, it will take me a lifetime to play all unplayed games on my PC and PS4....

Keep an eye on the Humble Bundle website too. Sometimes they sell bundles of games that are a complete, absolute steal. They also provide steam keys, so that you can keep everything in the same place nice and tidy.

Lowbee said. rediscovering Baldur's Gate II.
Had to laugh. My wife saw Baldur's gate 2 enhanced on steam, bought two copies right then.
We used to play that together co-op all the time.

That is a great selection of games.
For the chuckles I've tallied up my hours in these games (I've played al of them except the Shipbreaker).
Final Fantasy XV - 150 hours
Shadow of War - 55 hours
Jedi Fallen Order - 85 hours
The Hunter - 210 hours
DA: Inquisition - 460 hours
ME: Andromeda - 170 hours
---------------------------------------
Total - 1130 hours

I'd wager that will keep you entertained for a bit. :D

I also picked up Jedi Fallen Order on Steam sales - while it is a great game, I have mixed feelings towards it as I don't particularly like jump scares and fighting overpowered giant spiders and snails.
Acually, technically, the only major issue I have is difficulty scaling. I'm enjoying combat at Jedi Master, but that leaves some giant monsters way too difficult and actually I'm stuck now at the ninth sister. After about 5-6 attempts I'm usually flipping to story mode difficulty (same goes when I'm low on hp and there was no saving point for a long time).

Another game I bought alongside is GTA IV.
My God, textures aside, it feels more advanced than GTA V. Vehicle handling and physics is so much better that it makes the whole game much more enjoyable. I am actually enjoying the cutscenes more, way better script too.
It's a shame multiplayer is now switched off.

Last edited:
Just to show how much this stuff varies from person to person, I actually find GalCiv to be my favorite 4X franchise ever, I prefer it even over Stellaris, while on the other hand I find Endless Space a bit meh. :)

Haha, yeah, there certainly are different schools in space 4x. Personally, I'm not that much of a GalCiv fan. It's ok, I had fun with the second one in particular, but it just feels like playing Civ on a square map where every tile is a road. As silly as they are, I like space lanes and the graph-based maps they produce. That gave the old Master of Orion a lot of flavour from the start, so in that regards I like the ES games. And well, they're just downright gorgeous.

That said, Distant Worlds Universe is top dog imho. Funnily enough, it doesn't do star lanes, but distances are real, travel consumes fuel, so it doesn't have that civ-map feel I get with GalCiv. If they can prettify everything up a bit and ways to clean up the UI, the sequel might be close to my dream space 4x. Had big hopes for Stellaris as a pretty/streamlined DW, but it's been a curiously boring letdown. I go back to Stellaris every now and then for a new playthrough, but each time it's a bit meh, there's something missing.

I'm currently playing...or replaying through Mafia 2 (definitive edition)...massively enjoying it too. Looking forward to the remake of the first game due sometime in September. I played both of the original releases...as well as Mafia 3 on the XBox...all 3 games, definitive versions and originals, for 50 quid on Steam wasn't too bad a deal. The story in Mafia 2 is one of the best.

I just played the first hour of Beyond Blue.
I'm quite surprised, actually. I've only seen some teasers and I thought it would be just kind of a "diving sim", but no, it has an actual story, characters, great music, etc.
I immediately fell in love with MC's voice actress (as I usually do. :LOL:) and now I'm actually hooked!

Sadly it's half past 4 and I have to go to bed, but I'm looking forward to dive into this fully, tomorrow. Nobody messes with my whales!

Got Borderlands 3 in the Steam sale, the wife and I just finished our 1st play through, the story its no BL2, but its not as bad as I thought it would be.

Still gringe in some places and the game lacks a lot of what I love about Bl2, it makes up for it other places.

Also playing BL2 again as there are still some ive not played as.

Got Borderlands 3 in the Steam sale, the wife and I just finished our 1st play through, the story its no BL2, but its not as bad as I thought it would be.

Still gringe in some places and the game lacks a lot of what I love about Bl2, it makes up for it other places.

Honestly, I really enjoyed BL3. Except that little brat who spoiled everything. Can't stand her. But the gameplay loop is still an immense fun and the sheer lore-drop throughout the game is amazing.

I was worried about BL3, but in the end I rate it a better game than BL2. Gunplay is excellent, in the other 3 I mainly use sniper rifles and have to make myself use the others, but in BL3 I just hop from one gun to the next, I especially like the close up shotgun ragdoll effect on enemies!! I was surprised how big the game was, graphics are excellent. Story+characters was a bit vag-tastic though, more of the supporting cast could have been male just to even things out IMO. Lorelei character could have been a male....Ava should have been Lorelai. Killavolt was so cringe. Really missed Scooter, Ellie is crap. Moze's Mech is easy mode though! I just wish they'd drop the level cap, as soon as I hit it I lose the desire to play and have to wait for next increase. Guardian levels arn't qute grabbing my interest. Rare lot drops to frequent too.

Have so many games in my steam and epic library but can't motivate myself to play anything at the moment. Think I have a bad dose of gamers fatigue.
Currently re-reading Ready Player One and my heart says this is the gaming experience I would love to have, and my head says grow up, your 57 and smell of wee :)

May have to book myself into a gamers rehab and hug a tree or something.

I mentioned I was enjoying Mafia 2 all over again with the definitive edition...Our Vito had a wardrobe malfunction...which had me in tears of laughter for some reason. Maybe the serious nature of the dialogue in the particular cutscene mixed with the glitch...whatever it was... it just made me like the remake even more :D

asCDNMO.png

I'm now in the middle of Mafia 3...definitely well worth the $50 for the 3 titles in the series..and by the looks of it, with the original Mafia (definitive edition) they've saved the best for last.

Last edited:
Top Bottom