What other games are we all playing?

Stayed up too late shooting night IFR approaches in MS FS X.

The biggest problem with a real-time game, like Elite, and MSFS 2020, is that it sucks up lots of real time.

I did cross-country flying, with night approaches, and it ate last night. Nothing wrong with the game- everything wrong with my need for sleep. :(

Thanks! I'm dying to get this because I was sold on all the previews. So 90% of me is committed to going all out and buying the ultimate version. But the decision to do so is becoming hard, because the game has spanned such a wide range of emotional experiences. Some hate it because of the textures/graphics. But that may probably be because they have underpowered hardware and/or bought the lowest resolution/standard version. Some are butt hurt because they went the McScrooge route and missed out on all the graphical perks that come behind that nasty paywall M$ slipped in there.

Then others complain about aircraft performance and/or realism in operational flight mechanics (which is the most critical factor for me). I can tolerate low res graphics if the game performance and satisfactory game play experience makes up for this.

But all reviewers who complained on Steam could agree on one thing: the 90GB+ d/l was complete torture. Some (like Mole) literally d/l 99% to 100% of the game after several HOURS of real life. Only to have the launcher? Whatever cloud server they were d/l from reset/disrupt the process. what?? Causing them to re-download the blasted files all over again.....

So now I'll content myself watching OA's and other YT influencer video reviews online. As badly as I want to get this, I'm not going to fall down that obsession trap where I blindly fling money at a AAA dev out my window. Because unlike a battered spouse, I've got zero intention of repeating this expensive collector's nightmare scenario ever again:

Bethesda: We're the ultimate release day fan base dev trolls. Submit to crushing domination with this 3 hr download 50GB patch for F76----

M$: Shaddup and hang on to ur digital Heineken. Now wotch dis........
Apologies in advance for the upcoming wall of text :)

I'll say again that there is no difference between the ultimate edition and the base standard edition graphically...both have exactly the same resolutions and graphics options available. The only difference is in the amount of aircraft and hand crafted airports between all 3 versions...20 planes and hand crafted airfields with the standard, 25 of each with the premium and 30 of each with the ultimate. In each edition, the standard of graphics and options is exactly the same.

As for the sim deleting itself...although I've no firm idea why it did so, it's an extremely unlikely case that many others had this issue...in the MSFS discussion thread, there was only perhaps 2 others who remarked on the same thing. In my case the sim was installed on a 2Tb NVME drive that was only 30% full...and besides basic PC maintenance in between sessions on the sim I hadn't installed anything else...

PC maintenance being AVG tune-up...clears registry errors, temp files, startup errors etc, etc. My one possible suspect being that in the cleanup I removed an old Windows restore point that was taking up 29Gb of space...perhaps removing that was somehow connected with the deletion of the sim...although exactly why or how I've no idea since I do this consistently and repeatedly with no effect to anything else on my PC.

As for the download size...it's by no means the biggest game file I've had to download in stages...CoD Modern warfare was a whopping 155Gb download and lasted for 2 whole days, several others were in the 50-65Gb range...Hitman 2 was 66Gb. My issue was with the Microsoft installer dominating my PC resources whilst simply downloading..that was unacceptable and tiresome since it left me no option but to download it over 2 nights whilst I was asleep since playing anything else as it downloaded in the background was almost impossible.

As for the sim itself...I hadn't flown any civilian or GA simulators previously. Up until MSFS 2020 was announced, I looked on them as a special niche amidst a niche genre group hobby...Flight simmers in general being the niche genre... as in the likes of me who primarily enjoy lavish historic or modern combat sims (IL2/DCS)...the other sub-niche type being the strict GA type simmers who have little or no interest in combat sims. I was attracted to MSFS 2020 by the technology, the lavish visuals...but most of all by the accessibility the sim opened up for casual players... or even console players eventually...it'll be a huge success for that on it's own and rightly deserves to be. It was a bold move by both Asobo and Microsoft opening up a niche genre to casual gamers with no more complicated peripherals than a mouse, keyboard or even an Xbox controller..."Leave no pilot behind." was their motto when designing MSFS...and their efforts are both admirable and laudable.

As it stands, yes...I was disappointed with the release version for the variety of reasons I've stated, that in no way should detract from what is a very ambitious and lavish simulator which will only improve and grow with time. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold much interest for me due to it's reliance to further it's community development via after market third party sales as is common with GA simulators as a whole...I won't be sinking Star Citizen amounts of cash into it...nor even IL2 Great Battles amounts... which is by far the most expensive franchise on my PC to date. GA simulations along with their restrictive and nannying 'realism' just aren't for me I guess. Landing a Heinkel 111 on one engine with most of the control surfaces shot away by AA and fighter attacks is more my bag...horses for courses :)

I'll probably re-download MFS 2020 at some point but only as far as my MS Gamepass membership facilitates it, I won't be sinking cash into it.

Last edited:
I gather that the weather modeling is excellent, but how are you finding the real time weather aspect of the sim?

The real time weather has seemed to be working great for me so far. I've been checking real weather where I fly on Intellicast and the sim seems to be matching it well, I'm super happy with it.

The weather simulation is what sets this sim really apart from everything else. It's a generational LEAP over the other sims.

Thanks! I'm dying to get this because I was sold on all the previews. So 90% of me is committed to going all out and buying the ultimate version. But the decision to do so is becoming hard, because the game has spanned such a wide range of emotional experiences. Some hate it because of the textures/graphics. But that may probably be because they have underpowered hardware and/or bought the lowest resolution/standard version. Some are butt hurt because they went the McScrooge route and missed out on all the graphical perks that come behind that nasty paywall M$ slipped in there.

Then others complain about aircraft performance and/or realism in operational flight mechanics (which is the most critical factor for me). I can tolerate low res graphics if the game performance and satisfactory game play experience makes up for this.

But all reviewers who complained on Steam could agree on one thing: the 90GB+ d/l was complete torture. Some (like Mole) literally d/l 99% to 100% of the game after several HOURS of real life. Only to have the launcher? Whatever cloud server they were d/l from reset/disrupt the process. what?? Causing them to re-download the blasted files all over again.....

So now I'll content myself watching OA's and other YT influencer video reviews online. As badly as I want to get this, I'm not going to fall down that obsession trap where I blindly fling money at a AAA dev out my window. Because unlike a battered spouse, I've got zero intention of repeating this expensive collector's nightmare scenario ever again:

Bethesda: We're the ultimate release day fan base dev trolls. Submit to crushing domination with this 3 hr download 50GB patch for F76----

If you're on the fence I highly recommend you subscribe the microsft games service for PC. It's currently priced at one single dollar per month, and you can cancel at any moment with a single click. There are many countries where even a single beer costs more than that. For a puny dollar, you can try it for a whole month and decide if it's worth your money or not.

The real time weather has seemed to be working great for me so far. I've been checking real weather where I fly on Intellicast and the sim seems to be matching it well, I'm super happy with it.

The weather simulation is what sets this sim really apart from everything else. It's a generational LEAP over the other sims.
I'm sooo happy to hear that my friend. The live weather is easily my most anticipated aspect of it!

If you're on the fence I highly recommend you subscribe the microsft games service for PC. It's currently priced at one single dollar per month, and you can cancel at any moment with a single click. There are many countries where even a single beer costs more than that. For a puny dollar, you can try it for a whole month and decide if it's worth your money or not.
I replaced my annual Xbox live subs with gamepass ultimate...since it covers the Xbox live subs as well as opening up the MS store and gamepass library for both PC and Xbox. I gameshare with my son over Xbox so he has access to everything I do via gamepass. I subbed to gamepass ultimate for $1 a year or so ago when it first appeared...but I had just renewed my Xbox live subs. MS subtracted that amount from my gamepass subscription giving me a year free on gamepass ultimate before reverting to the $10 PM usual fee. Even at $10 PM it's a pretty good deal considering what's in the gamepass store....

Deleted member 182079

D

To maybe add some counter balance ... sure, some will have a rough time with the installs but I didn't have any problems whatsoever (bought through Steam). The download took about 5 hours, which was on launch day, so I expected it to be slow, and I didn't experience any hiccups or otherwise technical problems with the game (touch wood). Remember that it's usually only those who run into issues that will post their experiences online - the rest will just play the game.

As for the scenery quality, it's not really fair to compare this to handcrafted games such as GTA etc. (not saying anyone here is, but I've read some really dumb stuff elsewhere) because so much relies on a) Bing maps quality and b) autogen. The entire world is in this so there's bound to be issues, especially so early on during its lifecycle - I've come across a fair view visual glitches but I'm quite tolerant of those, and I'm sure most will be addressed - 98% the game looks absolutely stunning, and the 2% where it might get a bit wonky is really not justifiable to pass this on; if you know you like flight sims you must get this, no way around it really - this will be the gold standard for some time to come I reckon. This is the kind of quality I always dreamed of in the past but never really expected to experience, and certainly not as smoothly (40-60fps for a flight sim at the visual fidelity in FS2020 is unheard of) - i7 9700 / RTX2060S / 16GB RAM and I can run it at 1080p at a constant 60fps (40-50 in busy areas) at High settings (I could run it at Ultra but would lose a few frames; once they fix the 30fps option I'll likely increase the settings but it already looks glorious).

If I put it this way - I'm not a fan spending a lot of money on a single game, but I dropped €130 on the Premium Deluxe edition - because I figured that planes will cost at least 25-30 Euros each and I'm getting 10 of those in addition to the base version, plus a number of handcrafted airports which will also not be cheap if bought separately I reckon. Given that simulations can be awful money sinks (look at DCS... while it is a quality product I can't justify to pay 60 quid on a single plane, sorry - par for the course in this genre unfortunately). Long story short - I think the rather steep price is worth it given what you get and I have zero regrets - this sim is for "life", or at least for the next 5-10 years. YMMV of course but I'm basing this on my experience of FSX, and FS2020 is just better in every conceivable way, and will only improve - remember it's less than a week on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC.

It's like a Ubisoft open world game had a baby with another game that's actually quite good. Engaging characters, and really nice art design.

Port is pretty decent. Combat probably better with a controller, but bearable with m+k (I hate controllers) although a bit sweaty in busy situations.

Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC.

It's like a Ubisoft open world game had a baby with another game that's actually quite good. Engaging characters, and really nice art design.

Port is pretty decent. Combat probably better with a controller, but bearable with m+k (I hate controllers) although a bit sweaty in busy situations.
Absolutely loving HZD...on my second playthrough on hard (to get the facepaints and additional focus effects). I can see me replaying this for a while. I play with an Xbox elite controller...no issue for me since I spent so long on the Xbox. Plays pretty well with that.

sF4lUVM.png

Absolutely loving HZD...on my second playthrough on hard (to get the facepaints and additional focus effects). I can see me replaying this for a while. I play with an Xbox elite controller...no issue for me since I spent so long on the Xbox. Plays pretty well with that.

sF4lUVM.png
Playing on normal as I'm kinda crap. Biggest problem with m+k (for me) is alignment & dodging.

Even on low settings it looks good.

Playing on normal as I'm kinda crap. Biggest problem with m+k (for me) is alignment & dodging.

Even on low settings it looks good.
My first playthrough was on story difficulty...playing now on hard makes it another game entirely...more like Alien:Isolation where you spend most of your time shyting yourself hoping the big scary robots don't see you :D

Has anyone been playing Snowrunner? I haven't gamed in a couple months and that was one of my favorites at the time. Does anyone know if the season pass content has started coming out yet?

Has anyone been playing Snowrunner? I haven't gamed in a couple months and that was one of my favorites at the time. Does anyone know if the season pass content has started coming out yet?

The first season has been partially released, a new map and some trucks.
The second part is as good as ready to be released.
The new map is pretty cool though, breakable ice etc.
It's a good game especially now that most bugs are fixed and some qol features have been added.

The first season has been partially released, a new map and some trucks.
The second part is as good as ready to be released.
The new map is pretty cool though, breakable ice etc.
It's a good game especially now that most bugs are fixed and some qol features have been added.
Still haven't seen Snowrunner here...is it an Epic store exclusive or something? I've had mudrunner and spintyres on my Steam wish list for a while but haven't pulled the trigger on either yet. Snowrunner seems more my thing.

Still haven't seen Snowrunner here...is it an Epic store exclusive or something? I've had mudrunner and spintyres on my Steam wish list for a while but haven't pulled the trigger on either yet. Snowrunner seems more my thing.

I'm playing on Xbox but I think that it's an Epic exclusive atm for pc.
I never played Mudrunner, wanted to but then the announcement for Snowrunner came and I decided to wait.
I realy like it, and according to Mudrunner players it's a lot better, much more variety in missions better graphics etc.
It's a very additive and stress releaving game.

I'm playing on Xbox but I think that it's an Epic exclusive atm for pc.
I never played Mudrunner, wanted to but then the announcement for Snowrunner came and I decided to wait.
I realy like it, and according to Mudrunner players it's a lot better, much more variety in missions better graphics etc.
It's a very additive and stress releaving game.
I'll check on the Xbox later, still have it plugged in to my monitor via an HDMi splitter :)

Top Bottom