What other games are we all playing?

I'm confused, Im sure that you can ignore the story in NMS and just go off and explore the planet then come across a crashed ship and repair it yourself? You can find all you need just exploring the planet and coming across a trade station. In fact I may do a new play doing just that! One day maybe I'll get the permadeath centre of galaxy acheivement!

I'm confused, Im sure that you can ignore the story in NMS and just go off and explore the planet then come across a crashed ship and repair it yourself? You can find all you need just exploring the planet and coming across a trade station. In fact I may do a new play doing just that! One day maybe I'll get the permadeath centre of galaxy acheivement!
Some things cannot be unlocked naturally, like the Atlas keys.
Anyway, it's a SP campaign, it's all good.

Stellaris which I got recently for £8. I like everything about it except the combat and the completely flat 2d nature of it.

Rather than watching a slider move up and down a scale I'd prefer a switch to combat mode and get to control the ships in the fight. A stat battle between fleets is just boring frankly, however I suppose it stops human players trouncing all the AI with a handful of min maxed ships.

Overall worth a punt if you like that type of game, it's very pretty and the UI's nice but Space Empires V is still a better game despite being fourteen years old.

No Man's Sky. I've only been playing NMS for quite some time now, this game has me enthralled.

LFRxwiM.jpg

IL-2 Sturmovik and Microsoft Flight Simulator for the most part.

Was convinced I would be playing tons of Port Royale 4, a game I was very much looking forward to as trading/economic strategy games are so few and far between, but the devs have managed to make a complete, utter poopoo out of it...

The music. Stellaris' music is worth the 8 £ alone.

True, it's very nice. I don't begrudge the £8 at all, glad I noped out on any DLC though.

The daft special projects are fun I investigated the tiny ceramic item orbiting the star Russell's teapot. It's not a game I dislike, I just constantly think a pretty remake of space empires would have been more fun. I'm more used to the far more involved ship design and more complicated research systems from those games. It feels a bit uninvolved and simplistic for me.

While I'm wishing with a homeworld one control system combat mode.

Last edited:
I got the recent Humble bundle with Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts. I think it's much better than earlier installments. I like sneaking around finding a good sniping spot and shooting big gory lumps off people :LOL:

Not "instead" of ED, but beside it: I'm very much looking forward to playing Baldur's Gate 3, which hopefully will be released next week as Early Access, which I'm going to play with my wife during the winter months. She doesn't like ED, unfortunately, but isn't really a gamer, anyway. But she loved to play Devine Divinity, in cooperation with me at the controller. BG3 will be published by the same studio, Larian. One of the very few companies I trust enough to dare an early access. Anyway, Good times! 😊

Yup, looking forward to it. Just a question of how to buy it without the wife learning about it.

ESO discussed what appears to be a genuine leak from a Sr. Lead Bethesda dev. Say genuine since Bethesda has since deleted all traces of these screen shots from their official discord. And BGS was the only source of these photos. The pictures give an intriguing insight into the art style and potential RPG game play for upcoming open world Starfield. Bethesda's first space based game. Time will tell if Bethesda can recover from the purgatory that is F76 and regain their rep as a decent AAA RPG dev. Given the shortage of decent space based sims to date. All of these space sims are skewed in their focus on one side or the other. With varying degrees of RPG/lore game play depth on both sides of planet side v. space. You've got
  • Space Engineers. Non existent RPG/structured MQ. Over powered sandbox emergent game play, strong player agency. With balanced space and planet side game play.
  • ED. Anemic RPG, solid sandbox emergent game play, top heavy space themed game play and improving player agency (with FCs & upcoming 2020 DLC). Also all of these game mechanics are very likely to change for better based on Odyssey next year. But by default of the very nature of ED design, odds are future DLC game play will be on the grindy side. The only difference being done via space legs where player can now transport readily around the galaxy without a ship.
  • NMS & Empyrion Galactic (weakly structured RPG/MQ game play, strong sandbox emergent gameplay, weaker player agency, and best balanced space & planet side survival
  • Starbase (still TBD)
  • The Outer Worlds. Top heavy and deep on the RPG & planet side game play, weak player agency, weak sandbox game mechanic
  • And yes even SC (still pre alpha tech sim).
But IMO Starfield seems to be the only space sim WIP to date that's making a serious attempt to integrate BOTH planet side and space side game mechanic components.

Leak Part I

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wxK8v9fAg

Leak Part II
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Un09MOaQpo

Been playing Genshin Impact for the last couple of nights.

It's a really endearing openworld mix of Zelda: Breath of the Wilds, AC Odyssey and Black Desert. Or as the internet come to call it - Breath of the Weebs. :LOL:
It's really addictive and it has an amazingly fun combat system based on elemental combos, but instead of switching skills, one switches characters mid-combat to use their elemental affinity. So the classic "summon the rain to make enemies wet, then zap them with lightning" or "freeze wet enemies, then shatter them with a big rock, then vaporize the remains with fire,..." deal.
But as each enemy is strong or weak against different elements, you end up constantly tweaking your party to use the best combos depending on what you're currently stand against.

Like a typical anime it's so sweet that it'll make your teeth hurt, but underneath is a really enticing (albeit a kind of grindy) game of considerable heft.
I love it and I hate myself for it. :D

EDIT: Oh, also, the music is amazing and it's currently free to download from the dev's website. :)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUY1nICQRY

Last edited:
I've been playing Tropico 6 the last couple of days, since it came "free" with the latest Humble Bundle.

Lot of fun, deeper than it first appears, and the kind of game I will likely replay again and again. The sense of humour is on point too.

^^
This! :love: Tropico and have played it since Tropico I eons ago. Took a break from Tropico 3 until now. But thanks do all the MASSIVE sales and discounts Steam had last Black Friday and Christmas, I've purchased the entire library from Tropico I. And with the combined luck of Hermes and Loki, one day I'll be able to play all the game generations I missed. :LOL:

Anyhow with Tropico 6, I still can't figure out what the purpose of having a heir/successor does for you to date. Perhaps I'm too early in game? Stuck trying to pass one of the sandbox campaigns on a fertile Bannana Republic island somewhere. It's the campaign that lets you evole and grow your island dictatorship---er Republic--- into the modern/space age. I've got 2 heirs just slacking off. Hanging out inside the damned mansion not doing anything. Are they supposed to go out and about to make money for the dynasty? Or just stay home playing video games in the mansion basement? lol. IDK.

I've been playing Tropico 6 the last couple of days, since it came "free" with the latest Humble Bundle.

Lot of fun, deeper than it first appears, and the kind of game I will likely replay again and again. The sense of humour is on point too.

My favorite city building / economy game, and one of my all time favorite franchises overall. I've been playing since Tropico 3, and it just keeps getting better with each iteration.

Its been the first halfway decent Humble Monthly in ages. Recent ones have (for me) been crud

Its been the first halfway decent Humble Monthly in ages. Recent ones have (for me) been crud

Yeah, same. Don't think there's been any game that has really stuck the last few months. This one will though. Not sure how the Tropico series passed me by tbh, but it did, and now I'm hooked. 😄

Top Bottom