What RUBBISH

Hang on a sec...🤔
yes I do use the friends option (one) that is. But the main reason for going back is I prefer it. Also I think I should have researched in more detail. I actually do not like mining, that seems to be a key part of Colonia, or maybe ROSE TINITED SPECTICALES :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hang on a sec...🤔

1715328646505.jpeg

That… is… not… logical….

If you just want to take one unengineered ship from Colonia to the Bubble and back (and you're not in a rush) you could always use the FCOC services, there's usually one carrier a week each way. Spend a few days in the Bubble until your return ride.

Doesn't affect the jump times but you wouldn't be the one doing it or burning your tritium, if you're logged on you could do minor exploration between jumps etc.

If you just want to take one unengineered ship from Colonia to the Bubble and back (and you're not in a rush) you could always use the FCOC services, there's usually one carrier a week each way. Spend a few days in the Bubble until your return ride.

Doesn't affect the jump times but you wouldn't be the one doing it or burning your tritium, if you're logged on you could do minor exploration between jumps etc.
Indeed. I don’t have a carrier (nor any other ships for that matter) and occasionally avail myself of the services of the excellent FCOC. In fact, I’m currently aboard the Dixiedo Fox Omnibus courtesy of the kind Cmdr Wariow-12 en route back to the Bubble. Inara says the carrier is currently in system Stuelou IP-R b21-1, which according to the ED Astrometrics map, is only one third of the way there. With jump times as they are, I don’t expect to be back before tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. But I’m patient and very grateful for the help :)

Fleet carriers - the mistake that keeps on giving.

50 minute jump times don't mean that FCs are a mistake. It just means that they're not suitable as a means of personal transport. They're still great as a mobile base of operations, since that doesn't need to be moved quickly. Having an FC means that I'm no longer tied down to a single system where I can keep all my ships and modules to hand.

Honestly, I don't get why people insist on trying to use FCs as a replacement for the actually flyable ships. Even at the best of times, when it only takes 15-20 minutes per jump, it's such an incredibly dull way to travel, especially if one isn't hitching a ride on someone else's and thus has to set every single jump manually.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I have one and I love it. But their genesis and the way they've become what they are was a crapshow. They are what they are and Frontier deserve all the forum posts asking for short jump times and longer range and less upkeep and .... ;)

50 minute jump times don't mean that FCs are a mistake. It just means that they're not suitable as a means of personal transport. They're still great as a mobile base of operations, since that doesn't need to be moved quickly. Having an FC means that I'm no longer tied down to a single system where I can keep all my ships and modules to hand.

Honestly, I don't get why people insist on trying to use FCs as a replacement for the actually flyable ships. Even at the best of times, when it only takes 15-20 minutes per jump, it's such an incredibly dull way to travel, especially if one isn't hitching a ride on someone else's and thus has to set every single jump manually.
This trip was the 1st time used FC to actually go any real distance. As has been pointed out BAD IDEA. Have had this GAME for 10 years now and still playing, for the most part BRILLANT. Hindsight is a wonderful concept, I just wish i had stayed where i was. :poop::poop::poop:

My one friend tells me to get a life and go exploring.

I just hope I do not run out of Helium 3
I stocked back up as I was approaching Colonia, have a mere 17t of capacity left on my FC now...

Set my FC to jump to Carcosa, flew my Phantom to Colonia, picked up a shiny P2, swapped out all modules, did a jaunt around the engineers (I'd unlocked them years back) and was mostly finished engineering by the time the FC arrived.

The days of only taking 16 hours to transit between the 2 population centres are mostly gone, apparently the upkeep of the beasts doesn't bother that many players.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I have one and I love it. But their genesis and the way they've become what they are was a crapshow. They are what they are and Frontier deserve all the forum posts asking for short jump times and longer range and less upkeep and .... ;)

I'm not convinced that the particular genesis and evolution of FCs we have is directly responsible for that. If it had been done any other way, then I'm sure that some people would have found something else to complain about. If the minimum jump time had been left at two hours(?), people would have moaned about that. If FCs had remained a squadron-only asset, people would have complained about that too.

Of course I have my own gripes about how FCs are currently implemented. One thing I'd like to see is the ability set up a multi-jump route instead of having to manually set each individual jump. I'm sure if that ability was ever given to FC operators, then we'd get threads about that as well.

I'm not very experienced with MMO-like games (Elite Dangerous is my only one so far), but I suspect that every such game has aspects which players endlessly argue over and make posts about. It seems to be inevitable to me, given that everyone has differing tastes and expectations, and gameplay mods are impossible.

This trip was the 1st time used FC to actually go any real distance. As has been pointed out BAD IDEA. Have had this GAME for 10 years now and still playing, for the most part BRILLANT. Hindsight is a wonderful concept, I just wish i had stayed where i was. :poop::poop::poop:

My one friend tells me to get a life and go exploring.

I wouldn't say that long-distance FC travel is necessarily a bad idea, it's just that one has to be prepared to manage expectations, as well as alter one's approach given the nature of what the game allows one to do. I thought it was pretty cool to take my FC out into some random spot in deep space, and use it as a base camp. I think next time what I will do while moving my FC into position, is to fly one of my exploration ships in between jump points. That will at least give me something to do, instead of just sitting bored stiff in the captain's chair.

I think next time what I will do while moving my FC into position, is to fly one of my exploration ships in between jump points. That will at least give me something to do, instead of just sitting bored stiff in the captain's chair.
I did bubble - Colonia, over a month or so travelling with my FC as a base for my junior alt, so log back in every how many minutes (jump times can vary wildly depending on the time of day) to plot the next jump, then back to alt, meeting up every 2KLy or so. the alt made a fortune on salad scanning!

I did bubble - Colonia, over a month or so travelling with my FC as a base for my junior alt, so log back in every how many minutes (jump times can vary wildly depending on the time of day) to plot the next jump, then back to alt, meeting up every 2KLy or so. the alt made a fortune on salad scanning!
That's how I always do it. Jump the carrier when I'm in as my main, have fun with the alt in between times.
To be honest, I am seriously considering decommissioning the carrier (again). I just prefer ship flight. Maybe after I have gone out to Magellan's and back...

... I think next time what I will do while moving my FC into position, is to fly one of my exploration ships in between jump points. That will at least give me something to do, instead of just sitting bored stiff in the captain's chair.
I started out, when I eventually got started, jumping my FC then exploring every system within one jump of the carrier, heading back to it cashing in all the discoveries and jumping the FC again. This was OK but it felt like I was a) taking too long and b) not exploring enough.
So now I plot 500Ly jump for the FC then launch my Hauler and plot a route to the FC’s destination, this feels much better as I am making obvious progress towards a destination and by switching between fastest or economical can tune the amount of exploration as the mood takes me. Plus if things go wrong I am within 10 jumps of the ship or 1 by the carrier of safety.

I still 24 Jumps now at 42 mins a jump that is 17 Hours YES SEVENTEEN HOURS continuous play.

It's because of the technical way that carriers work. They are actually bases which cannot move without a server update. I'd much prefer if the carriers could move by themselves somehow also within a star system nearby planets.

This wouldn't be a problem if the carrier was a planetary base in a fixed location.

Last edited:
Top Bottom