Game Discussions What was your first exposure to video games?

Sorry I have not played one in years Nightmare park was back in 1982.

I remember playing the school Commodore Pet verison of Nightmare Park and reckon it's a sort of early precursor to "Warioware"

I also remember loading 'Nightmare Park' from an unmarked audio cassette into my Dragon 32, which my late brother would have had something to do with, it's strange as there is no listed port of Nightmare Park on the Dragon 32 that I can find, he may have ported it himself (as he was a pretty good programmer) or there was a magazine type-in, if so I haven't found where it came from. It was written in BASIC though but provided a fair amount of entertainment.

My very first memory of a video game was a Pong or Pong clone cabinet on the Ilse of Wight ferry in 1976 (at least I think it was 76 might have been earlier.

I had a Binatone, though I'm not sure it's exactly the same model as Stigbob's . Might even still have it, I will have to check. Moved onto a Sinclair Spectrum 48k (the ones with the 'dead flesh' rubber keyboard). Then took a long break from gaming until I got my first PC (can't remember if it was a late 486 or early Pentium

My younger brother's BBC model B and before that commodore maybe? we typed in basic programmes from computer magazines and wrote some and enhanced them ourselves, I remember a game called cavern that had some dots and letters and then text battles with monsters. The awesome level 7 adventures and of course elite tape cassette.
Dennis the bmx racer and some other naff games. citadel was awesome but came later on. At college, there were grotty arcades with defender, space invaders and such like. The very first arcade game I saw was pong in the seventies on holiday, it was impossible and I wasn't much impressed (but I was only 6 or 7)

Not quite sure. I think probably a Binatone TV Master pong-type game. They were all the rage in the late 70s, when I would have been around 5-6. I got my first Sinclair Spectrum in 1983 (I think) and got a strategy game called "Battle of Britain" for it - I think that was my first game. Then 3D Tanx and a Psion game called "Planetoids" that contained a game called "Missile" on the b-side. First FPS I can recall was "Transylvanian Tower", I think. First game that made me really think "wow" was Elite, and the first with a convincing world, mercenary (which was just amazing for the period) or Turbo Esprit - which was the precursor to GTA (lol). Also had a bunch of those hand-held games, Pac Man 2, Space Invaders and a couple of game-and-watch things. Loved the 3D SkyFighter game - a very early precursor to the vive...

Loved gaming ever since. Although I went through a period in the 90s of burning out on computing for a bit (no money, no girlfriend, had other things in my life) around 96-98 before picking it up again gradually over the years. Probably a very poorly timed sabbatical, as it was about this time that the internet moved computing from nerds and geeks to mainstream entertainment and geeks started to get girls :cool:

Not quite sure. I think probably a Binatone TV Master pong-type game. They were all the rage in the late 70s, when I would have been around 5-6. I got my first Sinclair Spectrum in 1983 (I think) and got a strategy game called "Battle of Britain" for it - I think that was my first game. Then 3D Tanx and a Psion game called "Planetoids" that contained a game called "Missile" on the b-side. First FPS I can recall was "Transylvanian Tower", I think. First game that made me really think "wow" was Elite, and the first with a convincing world, mercenary (which was just amazing for the period) or Turbo Esprit - which was the precursor to GTA (lol). Also had a bunch of those hand-held games, Pac Man 2, Space Invaders and a couple of game-and-watch things. Loved the 3D SkyFighter game - a very early precursor to the vive...

Loved gaming ever since. Although I went through a period in the 90s of burning out on computing for a bit (no money, no girlfriend, had other things in my life) around 96-98 before picking it up again gradually over the years. Probably a very poorly timed sabbatical, as it was about this time that the internet moved computing from nerds and geeks to mainstream entertainment and geeks started to get girls :cool:
During our 30-odd years together, my wife has never once complained about my love of motorbikes or computer gaming...when asked by some slightly more conservative friends about her tolerance toward my hobbies, she simply states..."Bikes and computers, let me see. Besides knowing exactly where he is when he's playing games with his mates...and besides sharing his love of bikes...I'd be more concerned if his hobbies had been hookers and booze." :)

Last edited:
Space Invaders. I spent a lot of my youth in the arcades.

Yeah im getting on a bit. I even had a hand held version, a made in China sort of thing.

Then it would have been Aatai, Spectrum Zx81,Sega master system, Mega Drive, Amiga 500, first PC, 486 SX25, a 686 somthing.. PS1&2 then its been PC here on in.

It all started with a pong set that you'd hook up on the tv.
Next thing was a Spectrum 48k, Commodore 64, Amiga, various PCs and now the Xbox One X.
I never bought any hand held stuff like nintendo etc.
I did buy a restored Galaga arcade machine couple years ago but sold it again to a cousin who kept nagging me about it.

During our 30-odd years together, my wife has never once complained about my love of motorbikes or computer gaming...when asked by some slightly more conservative friends about her tolerance toward my hobbies, she simply states..."Bikes and computers, let me see. Besides knowing exactly where he is when he's playing games with his mates...and besides sharing his love of bikes...I'd be more concerned if his hobbies had been hookers and booze." :)
I was a single child so the game ai was my friend like for chess.

the Snake game
then pong

it was off to the races then
I bought one of the first TRS-80s in this part of the world when they hit the streets. Fellow workers bought Commodor 64s and some got the Trash80s like I did. ... cassette memory Wow.

Space invaders arcade machine.

From being dumped in a kids room at a grown ups dance club.

Then it was.. i think river raid on a friends atari.. then a megadrive.

Oh no.. of course not. The first was a nintendo game and watch.. i think i had some sort of donkey kong one on dual screen.. but the most fun by far was the one where you had to release the cement from the little tubs to prevent them overflowing. That one was great.

I think the first game i fell in love with was probably desert strike on the megadrive.. helicopters (they would never release something like that today). From the pc era, apart from the id games, my next true love was tie fighter. That's why i'm here really.

I remember the last level of doom 2 ran so much better on my friends machine because he had 8 megs of ram instead of 4. Though by no conscious intention i had an awe32, which was so much better.

Technology was great as it was inventing itself. Kids don't get to see any of that stuff.

Last edited:
Space invaders arcade machine.

From being dumped in a kids room at a grown ups dance club.

Then it was.. i think river raid on a friends atari.. then a megadrive.

Oh no.. of course not. The first was a nintendo game and watch.. i think i had some sort of donkey kong one on dual screen.. but the most fun by far was the one where you had to release the cement from the little tubs to prevent them overflowing. That one was great.

I think the first game i fell in love with was probably desert strike on the megadrive.. helicopters (they would never release something like that today). From the pc era, apart from the id games, my next true love was tie fighter. That's why i'm here really.

I remember the last level of doom 2 ran so much better on my friends machine because he had 8 megs of ram instead of 4. Though by no conscious intention i had an awe32, which was so much better.

Technology was great as it was inventing itself. Kids don't get to see any of that stuff.
Yeah, Game and Watch. Poor man's videogame. Gave me lots of hours of entertainment. Once I made the score roll over grabing coins from under the kraken. It felt like beating the game. My cousin was good at beating games. He figured out the pattern to move Pacman on Atari console. Worked pretty good.
Yeah, Tie Fighter is a real classic. It made a good job making you feel like in a flimsy Tie. Loved the speed.

I must have been no older than 6 when I first saw my Dad play Forsaken with a HOTAS in his office...I kept bugging him to play it and when he finally let me have a try, I fell in love instantly...
I will never forget that memory <3

Top Bottom