What would you pay for ship interiors?

Well the game is more doomed than its ever been. A couple of honeymooners won't change that. In past instances of doom, frontier used to fixed bugs, had never technically given up on an announced feature. Everything about the game was more alive. Sure you could also attribute much of that to the kickstarter promises that had yet to be developed.. that same hope has now transformed into "is that it? that's really it isn't it."

That's why i think the most realistic suggestions going forward should be bite size and paid for dlc.

Hence also the appeal of legacy, if frontier have called it on elite in the greater effort, at least legacy is more finished that odd has manage to achieve. Its also cleanly finished, so no risk of it getting worse etc. Best of all, there's no scope to have expectations to be disappointed with either.

ps. happy to be proven wrong, but if the upcoming feature rework turns out to be suit engineering, the game definitely is doomed. They probably would have developed this as part of the original odd development and were just buying themselves time by extending the engineering requirements. How can people claim the game is not doomed, but its only being maintained like a doomed game by its developers?

IMO Elite Dangerous is in its sunset years, but I think that's different than calling it "doomed". I mean, we're ALL "doomed" unless you have the Holy Grail in your cupboard, yet I don't go around using that word to describe people on a daily basis.

IMO Elite Dangerous is in its sunset years, but I think that's different than calling it "doomed". I mean, we're ALL "doomed" unless you have the Holy Grail in your cupboard, yet I don't go around using that word to describe people on a daily basis.

That's makes sense. If you look very carefully, its the people who claim it isn't doomed that always start using this word.

The point is, if you're expecting bright future development support instead of just owning what's in the game today.. you're probably as misguided as the next person on the forum.

How can people claim the game is not doomed, but its only being maintained like a doomed game by its developers?
It depends largely on what you mean by "doomed".

If you mean Frontier intend for the Thargoids to kill everyone and the servers to be shut down, well, that seems unlikely. If you mean Frontier has lost interest in further developing the game and will allow its player numbers to dwindle over time while the title carries on in what is effectively maintenance mode, that's probably very likely.

I mean, M59, DAoC and EverQuest are most certainly "doomed", but you can still play them.

It depends largely on what you mean by "doomed".

If you mean Frontier intend for the Thargoids to kill everyone and the servers to be shut down, well, that seems unlikely. If you mean Frontier has lost interest in further developing the game and will allow its player numbers to dwindle over time while the title carries on in what is effectively maintenance mode, that's probably very likely.

Well frontier are a listed company, so thankfully are obliged to not act emotionally and shut down the game out of spite to forum goers. From others well considered analysis, frontier are making some money every reporting period out of elite, at the minimum if they stop thats (insanely resilient) goodwill they wouldn't be milking, so they are obliged to continue what's happening now at least.

No i don't personally think that the bubble will end. The new player experience and more importantly so many years of peoples bgs play would be erased and that would be too much i think. Frontier would have to spend development hours creating a replacement at least, so im guessing they long ago asked the same question and decided whatever happens next. The silent majority of longer term players are bgs players i want to guess. No idea though..

I mean, M59, DAoC and EverQuest are most certainly "doomed", but you can still play them.

.... Until proven otherwise, what else can we think?

If you could read my guilds Everquest forum you would see it was Doomed from 2004, yet here we are still getting expansions.
ED has a long way to catch up on the Doomed front (in its current form).

O7

If you could read my guilds Everquest forum you would see it was Doomed from 2004, yet here we are still getting expansions.
I think that some players become very attached to specific experiences, and they lament the sunsets of whatever provided those experiences as if all of their progression will somehow become meaningless if the game in which they had them ceases to be. What they fail to accept is that the experiences (the entertainment) was itself the entire point, and so long as they live, the effect is timeless.

I have great memories from back when a group of friends and I (many of whom I still talk to regularly) played a game called Warhammer Online. That game was legitimately well-and-truly doomed; its servers were shut down completely and the game can no longer be played. Despite it having an aggregate Metacritic score of 86/100, the game was racking up financial losses so significant that Mythic opted not to pursue a renewal of its license agreement with Games Workshop.

When a game dies that hard, it's usually because it is completely financially unsustainable. So long as games make money and have a decent number of players, they float for decades. Sometimes they even experience renewals. WoW hit a real low with the release of Warlords of Draenor, but Legion brought a lot of us back for another round of ridiculous fantasy fun. So long as ED ekes out a profit, it will probably flop around in the space sim category for ages.

The point is, if you're expecting bright future development support instead of just owning what's in the game today.. you're probably as misguided as the next person on the forum.
One of the things I like about Egosoft is that they are saying outright that after this next big update / DLC, X4 will be "finished". They'll still continue to release patches with new features and fixes, but the game will finally be what they envisioned. It's nice to have this communication (even if it's "the end"), something that Frontier is terrible at. Nature abhors a vacuum, especially a vacuum of information.

I think that some players become very attached to specific experiences, and they lament the sunsets of whatever provided those experiences as if all of their progression will somehow become meaningless if the game in which they had them ceases to be.
I agree with this, because this happened to me in Overwatch. The literal sunset of Overwatch, to be replaced by Overwatch 2 (gag), killed a beloved game for me, despite it "living on" in this new remake of what was already a great game.

What they fail to accept is that the experiences (the entertainment) was itself the entire point, and so long as they live, the effect is timeless.
It's not that simple. I would STILL be playing Overwatch if Blizzard hadn't pulled the plug on it. This is where I have to give Frontier a big round of applause for keeping Legacy going. Nobody has lost their progression or ability to play the game they love. Now should Frontier pull the plug on the servers, the way Blizzard did with Overwatch, then people will rightly be upset by that.

I also felt this way about Paragon and MAG when their servers went dark. The one thing I can say about all these games is that at least I got my money's worth out of them before they were taken from me. And yes, I have my memories, just like I have my memories from Elite, but it would sure be nice if I could still play these beloved games!

I still have a boxed copy of that game on my shelf, it was the first Warhammer game i got involved with after the original incarnation of the Wolfenburg MUD went south.
Shame about WO, i had high hopes.
Me too. I was quite proud of my Goblin Shaman. His name was Shroombad. He had 'shrooms and was bad.

Waaagh!

I (with some help) have written a poem:

The cockpit's walls have been breached
Revealing halls of shining steel
A labyrinthine maze of halls
To satisfy one's sense of zeal.

Each ship now is a world entire
A universe all of its own
A place where dreams may take flight
And every captain has a throne.

The engines hum with silent power
As the ship swallows up the stars
A journey to a world unknown
As we pass through gates ajar.

Elite Dangerous is no longer just
A game of blackness and void.
Now it's filled with windswept heights,
And tales of wonder to be employed.

No longer do we just observe
The universe from on high;
We are passengers within it
As it unfolds before our eye.

So fly your ship with courage
Through this vast and endless space
And remember the thrill of adventure
As you explore each ship's unique grace.

Paying for ship interiors isn't really the issue for me. It's what can you do in them. I love my fleet carrier but I haven't gone into the captains ready room in months because apart from the screen on the wall there is nothing to do in there but sit in a seat that's facing away from the window. Even a couple of stands for suits and weapons would make a big difference.

Paying for ship interiors isn't really the issue for me. It's what can you do in them. I love my fleet carrier but I haven't gone into the captains ready room in months because apart from the screen on the wall there is nothing to do in there but sit in a seat that's facing away from the window. Even a couple of stands for suits and weapons would make a big difference.
Or to be able to move the seats around...

Politics 101 - label anyone with an opposing view a "hater", "phobe", or "fascist" to instantly shut down any dialog or debate. "Doomsayer" seems to be the gaming equivalent. Though to be fair, I guess "white knight" probably qualifies, too..

Well there is a slight difference.. criticism is directly marked to feature or performance and can be supported or disproven immediately with evidence and logic. White knights by their protective nature are fundamentally blocking improvement of the game. Especially if they're implying that the developers are not mature enough to take the value of out of critical feedback for their own gain.. i wonder to what degree frontier have looked at levels of blind positivity in this community when deciding whether or not to fix bugs? What would elite be like (would it still be running?) if this community was like the rest of the gaming community?

Ultimately nothing is our fault, but its interesting and quite a deep topic.

Also cata was what killed it for me. I actually had the titled loremaster achievement, and when they changed the entire overworld to 3 or 4 quest hubs with little breadcrumbs an no meaning more it killed the game in my eyes. Silly casuals. Also expansion 3 was when the illusion fell that all they intended everyone to do was the same thing that reset every few years. Literal rat wheel. It also wasn't as good as wrath or bc. Panda was nice, but i didn't appreciate it at the time, it was too late by then.

Don't you think that Frontier is capable to look objectively at the user feedback, disregarding the antics of white or black knights?

Personally I have nothing against objective criticism of the game, what gets my goat are tantrums.

In the end it seems to me that they disregard most of our antics, and do as they please.

Top Bottom