What's next in Elite Dangerous?

What’s next? Not a lot it would seem going on Frontier’s actions.

In the build up to Update 15, Frontier have reduced CM capacity and reduced official streams to one a month. Difficult to see that in a positive light in the short term.
The email updates are pretty much pointless these days, too. the argument could be made that they are focusing resources on work, rather than talking about work.

Z...

The email updates are pretty much pointless these days, too. the argument could be made that they are focusing resources on work, rather than talking about work.

Z...
no that argument can't be made. That would imply that they've ever spent a lot of time "talking about work". They have not. The opposite argument has always been made in that they do not talk enough about upcoming updates. The other implication is that the people doing the "talking" are the people doing the "work" or that maybe they no longer employ people who's job is to interact with the community. That too has never been the case. The developers have never been key members of community involvement (even when they had notable community activity)

The 8 year old elite dangerous is just not a profit producer for fdev and so they do not allocate resources to it as they used to. This has been a steady downward trend for half a decade, as seen by the decrease in update frequency, decrease in new content, and shuttering of existing content over time.

What's next for Elite Dangerous? A much higher player investment than studio investment in the franchise.

decrease in new content, and shuttering of existing content over time.
Sure, the Azimuth saga and the aftermath we are seeing now aren't new content at all right?
Odyssey came out only 2 years ago which by all reasonable accounts is a massive expansion.
They announced a major feature rework.
There have been truckloads of updates in the last year.
In case you'd be tempted: reusing assets isn't the sign that there's no new content associated. Of course they reuse assets.
Besides, the recent divorce between console and PC IS NOT a move from a company that would end the saga.
And Elite has never been a profit leader but it brings cash steadily just read the financial reports available on Frontier website.
Will Elite end some day? Sure, and if you keep whining long enough you will eventually be right. Congrats in advance, I hope you enjoy every bit of the ride 💝

Z...
The marketing department is doing the coding now? 😜

We know Frontier have decided to not talk a lot about U15 beforehand due to the nature of its content. If there's no news to talk about, I don't see the point in sending out newsletters.

I like ED and Odyssey in particular. Space legs to me feels like the natural evolution of the game. That's not to say the Purists and OGs can't continue to do the Space Flight Sim thing. As far as I know, none of that content was removed. I don't know what ED was suppose to be when it was launched, what the long term ideas and goals were. I do know I've been playing since 2019 and I continue to enjoy it. FWIW I like the addition of Odyssey. I don't see Odyssey as a FPS but it does have FPS elements to it so it baffles me when I read that Odyssey is a poorly developed FPS. I know nothing of the company FDev or their other games and I often struggle to understand why they take so much flak.

Due to a small administrative oopsi, U15 will feature F1 cockpit interiors and F1 Manager 2023 will have pit stops to get new equipment to travel to the heart of the maelstroms.
An oopsi that could be fun is dinosaurs appearing down on those new planets, or the ability to customize ship interiors using PC design tools.

I like ED and Odyssey in particular. Space legs to me feels like the natural evolution of the game. That's not to say the Purists and OGs can't continue to do the Space Flight Sim thing. As far as I know, none of that content was removed. I don't know what ED was suppose to be when it was launched, what the long term ideas and goals were. I do know I've been playing since 2019 and I continue to enjoy it. FWIW I like the addition of Odyssey. I don't see Odyssey as a FPS but it does have FPS elements to it so it baffles me when I read that Odyssey is a poorly developed FPS. I know nothing of the company FDev or their other games and I often struggle to understand why they take so much flak.
The people who have negative things to say about ED, Odyssey, and / or Frontier are just a bunch of angry old Satanists who have run out of cats to torture, so they come here to spread vitriol and destabilize society. Well, at least that's what some people think. Don't worry, I'm not accusing you of this. I actually enjoy your enthusiasm for the game. Just stay focused on why you love the game and don't fall into the trap of villainizing those who don't, and you'll continue being a light in the darkness. Seriously, positivity is okay!

Just stay focused on why you love the game and don't fall into the trap of villainizing those who don't, and you'll continue being a light in the darkness. Seriously, positivity is okay!
Yeah, that's not to say there's legitimate criticism of the game. I wouldn't discount those concerns and complaints, many being valid. I have also read some comments and some of the same people over and over who have an inflated and hyperbolic reaction to anything FDev does with ED. I acknowledge there are things that can use some polishing and fixing. I've seen the term used white knight when people defend ED or like the game (clearly you're not calling me that) but it's just simply I have a different perspective perhaps a childlike one even.

I know a complaint for example is the economy. Having played several MMORPGs, take Day Z in this instance, where servers have an economy with monies, it's often hard to stop people from getting filthy rich even in a short time. I've seen that constantly and people complain. There's always going to be a Meta and people will find it.

I would disagree the economy is broken however, it's simply to me people who know how to get rich fast and/or grind for it. I made my billions grinding for it. Was happy to do it too. Not to say things weren't exploited. I do remember the slf void opal exploitation. FDev tried to implement a more stable economic supply and demand with things. You can't go to a station and unload hundreds of void opals and not decrease the demand/increase the supply any more for example. That probably could have been fixed early on. But if newbies get the game and want to get that Anaconda in 2 hours, they're going to find a way via YT or the internet. Personally I don't think they'll do it in 2 hours. I know when I started, if with YT help, I couldn't have done it just simply because the ED learning curve would take 2 hours itself.

Anyway that's a complaint I've seen, one in which I don't think FDev or many other games that have some MMORPG aspect could entirely curb.

But I try not to villainize those who have constructive criticisms about the game.

dam the doom posters really enjoy dooming.. i wounder if they are gona keep posting doom posts after we get on foot thargoids?? ..

Yeah, that's not to say there's legitimate criticism of the game. I wouldn't discount those concerns and complaints, many being valid. I have also read some comments and some of the same people over and over who have an inflated and hyperbolic reaction to anything FDev does with ED. I acknowledge there are things that can use some polishing and fixing. I've seen the term used white knight when people defend ED or like the game (clearly you're not calling me that) but it's just simply I have a different perspective perhaps a childlike one even.
For me a white knight is someone who constantly "slays dragons" in defense of whatever they have pledged fealty to (a game, movie, etc), those "dragons" being anyone they see as a threat to their beloved passion. They tend to spend more time demonizing those who don't share their passion than actually expressing that passion. As soon as someone attacks me as a person in order to defend a video game, they go on my ignore list. But I've also put people on ignore who "over and over who have an inflated and hyperbolic reaction to anything FDev does with ED" as well, because they tend to drown out reasonable debate with constant noise.

Some of my favorite fans of Elite include Alec, Ian, Darkfyre, Burr, and a couple of others, because their love of the game is sincere, and when they defend it, they use persuasive arguments and valid debate tactics and never, that I can recall, attack the person they are debating with. They also tend to be very honest when it comes to Elite's and Frontier's shortcomings. Not that I always agree with them, but I've always found my disagreements with them "agreeable". That is not the case with the proverbial "white knights".

So yes, please keep the childlike love you have for Elite and Odyssey! I may not share it, but I do enjoy it!

Sure, the Azimuth saga and the aftermath we are seeing now aren't new content at all right?

your soap box is wet. standing on it isn't recommended.

i didn't say no new content. i said a decrease. the game has gone from multiple updates in a quarter, to quarterly, to bi annually, to annually to less than annually.

the existing content sources has been decreased without adding new things to replace it over time (galnet news, player factions, resources for galnet stories to speak to player activities in the game, etc)

the narrative is the narrative. it is content that gets updates but that content is time sensitive and frequently is only a one time use thing. what we have been losing or getting out less and less frequency are reusable content.

Odyssey came out only 2 years ago which by all reasonable accounts is a massive expansion.
They announced a major feature rework.
There have been truckloads of updates in the last year.

two years is a long time ago. by all reasonable accounts. and it introduced game play that for all intents and purposes is entirely compartmentalized and has very little overlap with the game play that is central to elite. so while it consists of a lot (2 years ago) it ends up being similar to cqc in impact.

announcements != content.

your truck load is a different sized truck than i think most common trucks.

narrative story events are a thing that picked back up from the huge year long odyssey debacle following its release. that may make it seem like a lot but it's just bringing narrative development back to what it generally always is.

we do have a war going on, which is content worth mentioning the likes of which we haven't seen as a player base in a very long time. but it's very unlikely that we will see similar levels of new stuff like that anytime soon and the time since such a big thing just gets longer.

And Elite has never been a profit leader but it brings cash steadily just read the financial reports available on Frontier website.
Will Elite end some day? Sure, and if you keep whining long enough you will eventually be right. Congrats in advance, I hope you enjoy every bit of the ride 💝

elite not ever a profit leader? what do you think paid the bills while it was basically their only game?

elite has been quite profitable for most if not all of its life. it hasn't been the most profitable title in a long while but why that is, is more making my point than it does anything for yours.

and nobody was saying anything about elite ending. games end usually. We're discussing the road to that. the players don't have a say so any "whinging" isn't going to change what fdev does any more than it has changed their minds on finishing power play in the last 7 years. positive or negative guesses about the future aren't going to manifest magically. you don't need to pretend it's all going to be good out of fear you'll make it bad,

Sure.
It isn't "poorly fps"
it is "only" dlc which in MASSIVE part focus on:
shooter
thief gameplay, where npcs are blind and deaf
exterminating settlements
ground CZs
and different missions which in big part have combat addition

Outside it you have 2 things:
shallow "immersium", aka "walking on legs" (cool, I knew nothing about their plans, like you, so I bought it for 2018 content, which had nothing with legs, I simpl bought this game for space content, and definetely not for shooter content)
and exobiology, which to be fair is ONLY thing which I really like in this dlc.

But smh I still feel, that combat was their main focus.

Sure.
It isn't "poorly fps"
it is "only" dlc which in MASSIVE part focus on:
shooter
thief gameplay, where npcs are blind and deaf
exterminating settlements
ground CZs
and different missions which in big part have combat addition
Hence aspect/element. Funny, I'm getting out of my SRV and scanning life. I guess I'm shooting them with a scanner 🙄 The only part you like. It's no more a FPS than Day Z is IMO. Just because you can shoot people/npcs and do shooty type things doesn't make it a FPS, at least not to me. Let me know when you start scanning plants in Battlefield or CSGO

What's next in Elite Dangerous?​

Update 15 will bring a lot more than we expect and mark my words, Guardian sites will have been tweaked, Fleet Carriers tweaked, exo biology new plants and trees, Buy your own star base and then upgrade in ARX for sure, Walk around carriers in coming, a new ship from the Guardians, New work for the Thargoids missions with Thargoid scout as a reward and finally Thargoids with legs in update 16.
Maybe I should have put this post in wish list lol.

Top Bottom