Game Discussions Whats the buggiest game you ever played ?.

ED is right up there tbh, still full of bugs to this day. SC obviously, littered with the things. NMS was, not played it recently

Took 19 post's before someone mentioned ED. Now that is a surprise. I would like to vote for ED, but caveat of 1 to 4 weeks after ANY upgrade/Update. (1 to 4 weeks is a bit low, especially as some bugs i know from personal experience have been going on for years, but you know what i mean).

OFP then into the Arma series, even the current 3 is buggy. Although I do love them and played in a group upto early this year that had played Arma for well over a decade. Been playing single player from the start way back. I love the game, but it is a matter of dodge the bug.
Its probably my best ever game series to.

Like everything, bugs are a matter of opinion. ED has plenty of them, stuff going back to day one. Bearing in mind the current state of the game with the last patch, the game has been broken in so many ways, i just can't be bothered with it anymore. The old issues need fixing, and it's about time some of them were. The ridiculous method FD brought in with the Issue Tracker where bugs have to be upvoted before they even get looked at is the most stupid thing i've ever seen in any game

Sounds like user error to me.

Took 19 post's before someone mentioned ED. Now that is a surprise. I would like to vote for ED, but caveat of 1 to 4 weeks after ANY upgrade/Update. (1 to 4 weeks is a bit low, especially as some bugs i know from personal experience have been going on for years, but you know what i mean).

I expect some minor teething issues in any new software. On the other hand Bethesda's stuff just seems to stay broken in perpetuity, so it could be a lot worse.

If you extend that to Software - Windows?

Is open source software less buggy?

This forum is frontiers QA department.
Do the users of ubisoft ea etc give them the same grief?
many games use the same shared engines so it might be a

Remember in Jet s set willy the bug stopped you from completing the game.

Now design errors are another mater.

I worked when fixing the millennial 'bug' was a major concern ie allowing for the 2000. There were legacy systems in banking writen in cobol that needed fixing

Sounds like user error to me.

Why on earth would you say something so ridiculous? You clearly haven't been paying attention to some of the issues in game, or are so blinded by the 'perfection' of ED that you simply choose to ignore them, which is obviously up to you.

For the record, i've been playing most versions of Elite since they came out since the original launch back in 1984. I'm a Kickstarter backer on the current game and have been playing that since before most of you. Trust me when i i say user error has nothing to do with it. Stupid statement tbh

Why on earth would you say something so ridiculous? You clearly haven't been paying attention to some of the issues in game, or are so blinded by the 'perfection' of ED that you simply choose to ignore them, which is obviously up to you.

For the record, i've been playing most versions of Elite since they came out since the original launch back in 1984. I'm a Kickstarter backer on the current game and have been playing that since before most of you. Trust me when i i say user error has nothing to do with it. Stupid statement tbh

You've popped along to the forum of a game where you seem to get angry at the people who like it purely because they like it. This is one place on the internet where you most likely to meet an ED fan, that's definitely comedy user error 🤡(y).

Master of Magic pre 1.31 patch - the DOS Era magic wonder.
Must be one of the buggiest games i ever played in a period where patches were being distributed by floppy disks. I still played it countless hours navigating through game killing bugs.

I've got as far as a usable bed deep inside mechanists lair, and used that to save my progress and complete the quest.

Exit save is still not working, the sentry headlight bug can corrupt your save-game completely apparently, it certainly tanks framerate whenever you have Ada in view and the head switch fix is only temporary.

On the bright side it can be permanently fixed by using the console which means either ditching survival mode or using some mods.

A bit of a tie between fallout 3 and new vegas. Lucky to get an hours playtime in without the games crashing. Even if they dont crash there are other bugs that occur.

I`m kind of lucky with bugs in games, even Fallouts were kind to me in this regard. Two comes to mind tho, Star Citizen obviously, I had a actually miserable time when I was trying to do anything there.
Second was Lords of the Fallen, Dark Souls like game that when released was barely playable due to constant crashing and player character falling through the geometry.
Those were only two games that I actually shelved (one permanently) due to bugs.

Last edited:
I'll chuck in my agreement with Daggerfall. I'll add Subnautica as well though. Just had to chuck out my latest play through due to a corrupted save. Again. :(

I tried subnautica on hardcore as I like the challenge, but I fell though the floor in the prawn suit a few times as you can outpace the geometry spawning in and decided it's just not worth the effort. NMS is like that you go careful and make progress then just drop dead at random.

A bit of a tie between fallout 3 and new vegas. Lucky to get an hours playtime in without the games crashing. Even if they dont crash there are other bugs that occur.

I found new vegas to be really stable, or at least stabler than the rest. The survival mode was better put together as well you could decide on things like saving options and fast travel but still have added danger/hunger/thirst/disease and slow healing.

I've modded fallout 4 now so I've tweaked survival to be more like it was in new vegas, I also fixed Ada as that let me use the console.

Helping out on some Fallout 4 quest mods last year (If you're bored: Depravity, Viva Nuka World, Sim Settlements, some Enclave stuff) for kicks gave me a lot more tolerance for the engine's quirks, I had too much fun messing with it and it was pretty damn flexible. And you realize what is going on when you start piling on mods and corrupting saves so can avoid some pitfalls. But good lord, the physics and animation stuff. Agh.

I really hope they revisit that dept for Starfield.

Last edited:
Reading this thread, I have to say I must be extremely lucky with Bethesda games. I haven't played FO76, obviously and I haven't really played Skyrim (I just got bored after a couple of hours and never really returned to it and all I remember were very stupid NPCs and dialogues. :LOL: But no bugs). But rest of the Bethesda games were always kind to me. FO4 was probably the best one and I don't remember a single notable bug in FO3, NV or earlier TES games other than the usual engine glitches which never really bothered me.
I remember a couple of weird bugs in Bioshock Infinite, Bioware games which represent, along with Elite, majority of my gaming time are also infamous for the bugs, but again, I am incredibly lucky, I guess. To a point that wen I talk to somebody about this, they think I'm just trolling. I don't know how people play the games that some of them seem to find every bug in every game. 🤷‍♂️
The only game I haven't finished due to a bug was AC4 - Black Flag. So I guess that puts it on the pedestal.

But generally, I just lucked out in life. Though part of why my experience with games is what it is, is that I don't play multiplayer games, nor Early Access or indeed even indie games. I also tend to be late into many games, usually due to Elite or one of my favourites which I decided to replay, so I rarely play games on day, week or even month one.

Anyway. A lot of rambling.
TL/DR AC4 is my buggiest games. I stopped playing because my ship disappeared and I've never found it again. :LOL:

Reading this thread, I have to say I must be extremely lucky with Bethesda games. I haven't played FO76, obviously and I haven't really played Skyrim (I just got bored after a couple of hours and never really returned to it and all I remember were very stupid NPCs and dialogues. :LOL: But no bugs). But rest of the Bethesda games were always kind to me. FO4 was probably the best one and I don't remember a single notable bug in FO3, NV or earlier TES games other than the usual engine glitches which never really bothered me.
I remember a couple of weird bugs in Bioshock Infinite, Bioware games which represent, along with Elite, majority of my gaming time are also infamous for the bugs, but again, I am incredibly lucky, I guess. To a point that wen I talk to somebody about this, they think I'm just trolling. I don't know how people play the games that some of them seem to find every bug in every game. 🤷‍♂️
The only game I haven't finished due to a bug was AC4 - Black Flag. So I guess that puts it on the pedestal.

But generally, I just lucked out in life. Though part of why my experience with games is what it is, is that I don't play multiplayer games, nor Early Access or indeed even indie games. I also tend to be late into many games, usually due to Elite or one of my favourites which I decided to replay, so I rarely play games on day, week or even month one.

Anyway. A lot of rambling.
TL/DR AC4 is my buggiest games. I stopped playing because my ship disappeared and I've never found it again. :LOL:

I think there's an element of the more you like a game the more you play it twiddling with obscure bits of it and so the more bugs you find.

I do the same thing with buying in late, let everyone else do the destruct testing straight out of the box at full price. Jump in for the game and all DLC at a reduced price a few years later once it's modded and more stable.

I think there's an element of the more you like a game the more you play it twiddling with obscure bits of it and so the more bugs you find.
Yeah, that's most likely it.
I mean, speedrunning for example is practically based on knowledge of bugs and glitches and using them to your advantage.

But then the question is, I guess - if you are actively looking for bugs, you're bound to find some. In any software even made. But then you can't really be mad at the game.
...which isn't the topic of this thread, I know. And I do believe there are some games where bugs are omnipresent and really interfere with the gameplay.

Yeah, that's most likely it.
I mean, speedrunning for example is practically based on knowledge of bugs and glitches and using them to your advantage.

But then the question is, I guess - if you are actively looking for bugs, you're bound to find some. In any software even made. But then you can't really be mad at the game.
...which isn't the topic of this thread, I know. And I do believe there are some games where bugs are omnipresent and really interfere with the gameplay.

I don't look for bugs, but (not kicking bethesda here) because I tried to build the best settlements I could in fallout 4 I noticed how bugged they are. The vanishing beds, the settlers glitching through walls. Set up overlapping turret fire and the attackers spawn inside or glitch through the wall. If I'd plonked down some beds and food and bogged off it'd be fine, I wouldn't notice.

Top Bottom