What's with the ground combat zone AI not moving?

While I've been finally enjoying my playthroughs of Odyssey lately, more often than not in the Ground Combat Zones it happens that the AI is not moving.
Still firing and throwing grenades and responding to fire, but remaining stationary at all times.
While it's a good and labor-free source of income from the High Intensity ones, it is truly more on the frustrating side of things, since the gameplay is completely missing.

Just bugs. I've never had it myself. I did have an empty CZ once, just the dropships turned up and then they stopped in midair, no troop drops. Was a different experience.

seems the bug is more likely on lower spec machines processor and gpu v ram wise
yea nothing you can do but quit back to a station and retry
relog in out till it don't as it don't happen every time like asteroid fragment clipping collision detection
probably take them forever and a day to fix that one

Last edited:
Is that often OP? I've seen that .. probably less than 5 times in total. It's rare enough that I play it them as a bonus - since I can get all the kills (though they take longer to complete).

I can't see any confirmed issues for this on the issue tracker (doesn't help that the issue tracker is broken on this laptop & won't let me filter by game 😡 ). Problem is that I don't think anyone knows how to trigger it reliably, so it would be a hard one to track down 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
While I've been finally enjoying my playthroughs of Odyssey lately, more often than not in the Ground Combat Zones it happens that the AI is not moving.
Still firing and throwing grenades and responding to fire, but remaining stationary at all times.
While it's a good and labor-free source of income from the High Intensity ones, it is truly more on the frustrating side of things, since the gameplay is completely missing.

Is that often OP? I've seen that .. probably less than 5 times in total. It's rare enough that I play it them as a bonus - since I can get all the kills (though they take longer to complete).

I can't see any confirmed issues for this on the issue tracker (doesn't help that the issue tracker is broken on this laptop & won't let me filter by game 😡 ). Problem is that I don't think anyone knows how to trigger it reliably, so it would be a hard one to track down 🤷‍♀️
Yeah. So many times even in the latest patch that I had to post this question.

seems the bug is more likely on lower spec machines processor and gpu v ram wise
yea nothing you can do but quit back to a station and retry
relog in out till it don't as it don't happen every time like asteroid fragment clipping collision detection
probably take them forever and a day to fix that one
I have Ryzen 3700X/32 GB with RTX 3080 now. Definitely not utilized fully in Odyssey.

well that means I am wrong about that then back to the db
(lol no pun unintended I am sorry dave might I suggest you take a stress pill if your concerned about it)
its like a mem leak and the npc have none left to do anything or they simply miss the event trigger to mobilize

Last edited:

I did some CZ post U12, i tried like 6-7 settlements in MAIA after getting fed with relogging.
All performed as expected

So it's either some particular settlements that have issues unless it's something related to your computer / connection to fdev servers
Try different settlements, different systems, different modes (solo/pg/open), try restarting your router, your pc or both (no joking, no memes here - a computer should be restarted once per week if not often)

if you spot a certain pattern (a bad settlement for example) make sure you report that in the issue tracker

I did some CZ post U12, i tried like 6-7 settlements in MAIA after getting fed with relogging.
All performed as expected

So it's either some particular settlements that have issues unless it's something related to your computer / connection to fdev servers
Try different settlements, different systems, different modes (solo/pg/open), try restarting your router, your pc or both (no joking, no memes here - a computer should be restarted once per week if not often)

if you spot a certain pattern (a bad settlement for example) make sure you report that in the issue tracker
"No joking"? Are you serious? How about them fixing the damn AI, where one part is working (reacting, firing) and the other is not (pathfinding)!
What does restarting the router, my pc or both got to do with the server side AI??

"No joking"? Are you serious? How about them fixing the damn AI, where one part is working (reacting, firing) and the other is not (pathfinding)!
What does restarting the router, my pc or both got to do with the server side AI??
The networking is Peer to Peer - there is no server running the AI - it's either on your PC or whoever's instance you are running in.

No worries. I've certainly had static NPCs in solo - so no network involved. If you were getting a lot more static instances and playing a lot in Open then it might point to something. I've seen it at settlements that on other occasions have been fine, so no idea 🤷‍♀️

I didn't know that, apologies.

It's ok.
I suggested a router restart besides your computer restart because while the AI runs on your computer (or better said on the computer that is running that instance) there might be some coms with fdev servers like CZ start or CZ finish which may be set to trigger certain AI behaviors

XD I saw that this morning. An entire squad of them just standing there bunched up together, yelling commands. I was half tempted to lob a couple grenades at em but I'm not even upgraded yet.

Top Bottom