When and what is the tick?

Automatic tick detection requires comparing data samples ideally for multiple systems to see when the changes occur, which means you need a consistent feed of incoming data throughout the day for a single system. And that isn't possible to obtain in Legacy.

Here's a graph of the recent FSDJump events in inhabited systems (which are the most common type of "BGS influence record" event) - as you can see, there's really not a lot of Legacy data coming through as console players can't send it and there aren't enough Legacy PC players using 3rd-party tools to compensate for that.
Checking in more detail, the busiest single system in Legacy on EDDN - LHS 20 this month - gets an average of one ping a day, and that's as you'd expect not evenly distributed - the largest gap between consecutive events is 5 days. There's only two other systems which have an average above one every two days.

I suppose, seeing as there won't be any more updates, the tick should stay around the same time every day?

I'm just wondering if it would be fun to revive my PMF while my rival PMFs have gone to Live (or AWOL to play space Fallout). It wouldn't be much fun for me having to keep relogging to check for the tick though. On Live it seems I'd be sat waiting from 9.30pm until early hours of the morning when late night is my best play time.

It's a shame FDev can't share a log or something of the tick, also for Live. Surely they know BGS players rely on tick timings...

I think fdev purposely keep stuff like the tick vague.

I manage & defend my territory in live and/or legacy, the patch 14 split doubled my workload although live is quiet for me fortunately. I legacy I've been invaded by a console group & noticed the tick process from starting around noon to currently starting around 4pm (UK time). The end time seems to have remained around 7pm.

To me, playing daily patterns emerge & I feel that paying attention has its rewards & the lack of 3rd party tools to do the tracking for you has levelled that playing field quite nicely;)

I think fdev purposely keep stuff like the tick vague.

I manage & defend my territory in live and/or legacy, the patch 14 split doubled my workload although live is quiet for me fortunately. I legacy I've been invaded by a console group & noticed the tick process from starting around noon to currently starting around 4pm (UK time). The end time seems to have remained around 7pm.

To me, playing daily patterns emerge & I feel that paying attention has its rewards & the lack of 3rd party tools to do the tracking for you has levelled that playing field quite nicely;)
Yeah 3rd party apps made me lazy and is probably why I got bored. I could get stuff done quicker, which I needed to do while in cahoots with allied PMFs to BGS other PMFs, but it's just me now and I can get back to jumping around 20 systems looking for a ship part (for example)! Much more satisfying when finding something I need.

I'm gonna cram some days in and see if I can settle back in.

Top Bottom