When and what is the tick?

Right panel has become absolutely useless, can confirm @Nepeta Uchiha 's observations. But the tick itself can take several hours to appear even on local station news, depending on the system.
We've seen conflicts reliably update in station news & squadron UI very shortly after the tick, but everything else takes 2-4 hours to change typically.

Updates have again cause web sites to report changes in the tick tracking times..
the tracking web site states there were 2 ticks with in 12 hours of each other..
the Thursday tick was ~6PM then in the middle of the night Friday had another tick ~345AM...

So the TICK looks to have moved to AM IGT as nothing changed boo..

Updates have again cause web sites to report changes in the tick tracking times..
the tracking web site states there were 2 ticks with in 12 hours of each other..
the Thursday tick was ~6PM then in the middle of the night Friday had another tick ~345AM...

So the TICK looks to have moved to AM IGT as nothing changed boo..
i would suggest checking at station news. station news had new conflict standing and new influence values at ~6 pm yesterday, but they never showed in system map or journal until i went into bed. so i wouldn't rule out the tick is still around 6 pm, it just takes hours and hours to report those numbers in journal (from which the sites get their data). on the other hand those new (non-state related) number i saw at 6 pm wasn't what was reported via system map when i woke up, so idk.

I am starting to think fdev should put the tick time in local news

it's getting near impossible to follow it

as one person noted already, some systems(all?) seem to have gotten extra ticks this week.
Worked out nice for a change though.

i would suggest checking at station news. station news had new conflict standing and new influence values at ~6 pm yesterday, but they never showed in system map or journal until i went into bed. so i wouldn't rule out the tick is still around 6 pm, it just takes hours and hours to report those numbers in journal (from which the sites get their data). on the other hand those new (non-state related) number i saw at 6 pm wasn't what was reported via system map when i woke up, so idk.
Nope the station changed states ~345AM and pending states effects for what was meant to happen at Friday 6PM today happened at 3AM on friday went into effect, what should have been a 24 long day conflict day turn into a day that lasted less than 10 hours..
So instead of playing day 5 of the war and elections at 4PM it was day 6 allready... So the hole day of war/elections skipped by dam it...

and timing was perfect for me to provoke my opposition into conflict, with zero time for them to weasel away.
And got to fight on the same day.
repeat this tick method for the next week please.....payback from the sloppy EDO release multi-multi-Ticks months.

for once an update and a multi tick worked in MY favor instead of the norm, against me.

Even Better, how about announcing the tick in the same way you announce the weekly pending PowerPlay??
It is extremely useful info to know what/WHEN the tick thinks its doing....
Maybe do the same with the random suits and weapons weekly scattering too, its sooo not predictable, just like the tick.
it seems to update as slowly as the tick.
meaning its really hard to tell sometimes if it even happened.

or just a scrap in local news...

its a lot like waiting to see if a rainbow is going to appear

Every body in my system is in Election or a war but the controlling faction... lol got to crush the feds while you can...
When the CG is crap. stomp them even more...

Tick happened at a weird time again and influence is just going crazy. The system my PMF is working currently had the factions we're trying to conflict close a 32% influence gap down to a 3.4% gap in a 36 hour period LOL!!

Middle of the night it is This tick will mess up USA time zone players... untill they learn theres a new tick in town...
Edit Feds are losing so alls right in the galaxy...

Last edited:
Its still happening in the middle of the night...
Stations are saying wars are over ~0130 BST then system states are chaning in right panel and map ~0330 BST...

Tick switched to 3:00UTC and ELITE BGS site died after Monday's tick coming back to life on Friday so idk what happened there. Anyway this new tick blows because it's right in the middle of my PMF's active time where most of our members have time to play so we have to juggle ticks.

Good afternoon everyone! I did not create a new topic, ask a question here.
How and when is the status of the system and faction updated? Naturally, the answer begs: once a day after the Tick. Can not argue with this.
But the question is, how does this happen? This is where I will make my assumptions. I don't think it happens instantaneously for all systems. Most likely, there is a sequential enumeration of inhabited systems (by the way, there are more than 20 thousand of them) and calculation of their states. Some are calculated quickly (where there are few CMDR visits). Some may be skipped (where there are no visits). And some may take longer - where there are a large number of visits, missions accomplished, conflict zones.
In addition, there is probably some algorithm for selecting a queue of systems (possibly by ID number). As a result, updating all inhabited systems could take hours after the official Tick!
I came to this conclusion after scanning the "systems_populated.json" file from EDDB.io, which is updated once a day around 05:00 UTC. I was looking for [Pending] faction states. After that I checked with inara.cz. And I got interesting results: some systems already reached this state! And in some systems it was still [Pending].
Am I right or not?
PS)
Is there an official answer of FDev to this question?

Good afternoon everyone! I did not create a new topic, ask a question here.
How and when is the status of the system and faction updated? Naturally, the answer begs: once a day after the Tick. Can not argue with this.
But the question is, how does this happen? This is where I will make my assumptions. I don't think it happens instantaneously for all systems. Most likely, there is a sequential enumeration of inhabited systems (by the way, there are more than 20 thousand of them) and calculation of their states. Some are calculated quickly (where there are few CMDR visits). Some may be skipped (where there are no visits). And some may take longer - where there are a large number of visits, missions accomplished, conflict zones.
In addition, there is probably some algorithm for selecting a queue of systems (possibly by ID number). As a result, updating all inhabited systems could take hours after the official Tick!
I came to this conclusion after scanning the "systems_populated.json" file from EDDB.io, which is updated once a day around 05:00 UTC. I was looking for [Pending] faction states. After that I checked with inara.cz. And I got interesting results: some systems already reached this state! And in some systems it was still [Pending].
Am I right or not?
PS)
Is there an official answer of FDev to this question?
Well Expansions, Retreats & Conflicts always tick first. Usually as soon as the server wide tick happens those systems will tick very soon after. Now ever other system just ticks whenever up to 4+ hours after the priority states tick. Furthermore the right ship panel and system map may not display the tick for up 12 hours but the Local News at the stations will always display the tick as soon as it happens in system. Also State ticks are first then influence ticks second but these two ticks can also be hours apart. The BGS tick is just a huge massive mess and you just have to learn how the systems important to you tick each day since it can have some consistency to it.

Most likely, there is a sequential enumeration of inhabited systems (by the way, there are more than 20 thousand of them) and calculation of their states.
This is correct - and in some cases the order of evaluation does matter, not that you have any control over it or even an easy way to determine it.
There doesn't appear to be any dependency on how much action occurred in the system (from what Frontier have shown of how the tick is processed, it shouldn't make any difference) and even systems with no action at all can have detectable changes in certain circumstances (economy and security sliders will return to centre, existing states will proceed, influence changes caused by states will happen, etc.)

If you're looking via EDDB/Inara this has the secondary issue that they only know about the systems which are updated to them via the journal and other third party tools (EDMC, EDDiscovery, etc). Only about a third of systems even get a single daily update that way - and a few don't even get an update a month on average - so in the time between the JSON file being generated and then you looking at the data from Inara plenty of changes can be recorded even if the underlying game state is static.

So looks like this AM GMT Tick is staying put then..
Next EDO client update is not till August (September if they have to delay again)...
So may be 3 months like this then...

Multi War conflicts Have ended early as the Tick again rewards Multi win days during a 24 hour time frame...Taking wars that were 2-3 to 4-3 in 24 hours...
As the days are reduced to only 9 hours a part... so a 7 day war is competed in only 5 days...

Kurughnaye​

7 day war was completed early with a 4-3 win..
Day 1 win was completed wednesday morning... day 7 win was completed monday morning ... Not 7 days but 7 days were given to factions...
4 -3 battle win...

It moved again to realy realy late again in the morning so instead of triggering war out comes at around 1am the wars were reported way later extending the BGS day... by extra hours again... So those frighting in USA time zone were still battling for the Same day... started saturday the 23rd on sunday the 24th 5 am...

Last edited:
Top Bottom