Why do people wait until a community goal, to be oles?

Deleted member 182079

D
You are 100% wrong on this one. I personally often play various characters in RP games. I'd reply an RP game multiple times with different characters, some are good-natured altruists and others are ruthless murderers, depending on how I fancy playing the game.

You are now - not even assuming - but practically telling others how they role play their characters. You don't know that and this is where all your logic falls over unfortunately. Maybe your role play reflects your personality.

Mine doesn't. Not always, anyway.
Yeah, this.

While my in-game character actions usually reflect my RL behaviour rather closely, there are moments where trying something contradictory to your RL character can be very entertaining - that's the whole point of role-playing after all.

Seal-clubbing is one thing I don't condone though, and whenever it happens in my instance I will return fire if my ship allows me to, even if it won't save the seal in most cases. As much as I want to play the independent mercenary-for-hire (which is my own RP angle in Elite), that's one line I'm not willing to cross, role-playing or otherwise.

That would've been my advise before squadrons came around, too. Unfortunately it's at least my personal experience, that i met way less people in Mobius within a week of the squadron patch.

My suspicion is that people who joined squadrons mostly migrated to their squadrons private group. (Even strict "we are hardcore PvPers and only fly in open" squadrons made their own private groups within a week. ) Which of course drained the people from Mobius. On the other hand, me flying at odd times and not meeting that many people at those times anyway, this can be just my personal observation and things are fine for other Möbius pilots.

flying solo is best ... just enjoy space and avoid all those trouble majers

And I yours. But telling others how they role play their game and what their motivation is to play in a certain way, where you simply don't know that and can only assume cannot really be seen as a valid argument in this discussion.

I.e. My main character is rather good-hearted smuggler who will go our of their way to help others, while having little respect for the law. But on my other account I have just started playing a totally cold-blooded pirate which doesn't really care about other people and will happily kill them if there is profit to be made.

My 3rd account is a university professor who travels the galaxy with tourists on board and learns about the history of humanity from the tourist beacons.

My 4th account's character I've not even planned yet.

And yet none of them really reflects my character IRL.
Absolutely this. As a casual DM, i roleplay anyone from peasants running the tavern, to noble and pious knights fighting for good, to the most evil of murderous people, and everything in between. Entire cities of personalities.

To imply anything of my character as a person based on that is, well, for one, pretty much impossible, and two, pretty offensive.

But i don't get offended about that on forums like this, because it's too funny to take seriously.

Absolutely this. As a casual DM, i roleplay anyone from peasants running the tavern, to noble and pious knights fighting for good, to the most evil of murderous people, and everything in between. Entire cities of personalities.

To imply anything of my character as a person based on that is, well, for one, pretty much impossible, and two, pretty offensive.

But i don't get offended about that on forums like this, because it's too funny to take seriously.

offended? By who??

That's true, but since neither cargo bays nor HRPs show up on a subsystem scan, you'd never know for certain.

Given the NPCs sometimes say "I'm not one for scans, I'll just kill you and scoop up what's left" it's slightly surprising that this doesn't happen anyway.

(Obviously successfully disabling a target would get you a lot more cargo and a lot less criminal record, so would still be worth doing in many cases)

I agree really - there should be -some- cargo dropped on ship destruction - just not as much as you get from pirating "properly"
(There other issues with how pirating "properly" works, which would mean currently, it'd probably be more effective to just destroy stuff and scoop - a quantity quality balance issue... but I guess that's an aside anyway as it's all conceptual anyway)

Last edited:
I think you mean 'hypocritical'. Low Life and Bully are descriptors for the thuggery that you wish to endorse as valid game play. For you perhaps. For me, I'd very happily live without PvP being a thing in this game. I wholesale reject the violent mindset of men. For me you are everything that is wrong with this RL world we live in.

In Elite thuggery is valid gameplay for everyone, regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation!

Just a hypothetical: You say that in RL that you are nothing like the in-game villainous character you 'play'. So why do you need to play a villainous character if this does not meet some need in your character? Why do you feel you need to defend your right to seal club people who just want to play a game without getting people like you ganking them? Personally, I think the hypocrisy is right there...

This is like saying Anthony Hopkins played Hannibal Lecter because he harbors cannibalistic fantasies. Obviously not.

Not really, but your and Susanna's opinions show perfectly that FD clearly has mismatched its audience of ED and hasn't provided satisfying methods players interact with each other (or not).

My opinion would be Susanna's if I had bought the game expecting a friendly, coop-only environment. That's more what I expect when joining a private Minecraft server (but of course checking the rules first would be a good idea), but I don't think Frontier has ever advertised the game like this. And yet because Frontier realize different folks will be looking for different things in the game, they have at the very least offered three options to tailor your multiplayer experience according to your tastes. Anybody can create a testosterone-free private group if they're not interested in competition, and they will have absolute authority over who they play with. And they ahve also provided an anything-goes environment for those interested in that. I agree with you that some aspects of the game suffer from a lack of direction or a misguided attempt to satisfy too many at once, but this isn't it.

Susanna has no business judging other players' actions in Open as wrong, and even less judging these players' RL moral compass, unless these actions break the rules we all agree to by playing the game. And even if a player's action in the game trully reflect a hidden aspect of their personality: so what, what is it to the rest of us? It doesn't impact us negatively, not in a way that, if we didn't outright consent to, we weren't at least expected to prepare ourselves for. Join a sex dungeon and people will probably expect that you want sex dungeony things done to your cargo scoop. Nobody could reasonably blame those who then give you what you signaled, by joining, that you wanted.

My opinion would be Susanna's if I had bought the game expecting a friendly, coop-only environment. That's more what I expect when joining a private Minecraft server (but of course checking the rules first would be a good idea), but I don't think Frontier has ever advertised the game like this. And yet because Frontier realize different folks will be looking for different things in the game, they have at the very least offered three options to tailor your multiplayer experience according to your tastes. Anybody can create a testosterone-free private group if they're not interested in competition, and they will have absolute authority over who they play with. And they ahve also provided an anything-goes environment for those interested in that. I agree with you that some aspects of the game suffer from a lack of direction or a misguided attempt to satisfy too many at once, but this isn't it.

Susanna has no business judging other players' actions in Open as wrong, and even less judging these players' RL moral compass, unless these actions break the rules we all agree to by playing the game. And even if a player's action in the game trully reflect a hidden aspect of their personality: so what, what is it to the rest of us? It doesn't impact us negatively, not in a way that, if we didn't outright consent to, we weren't at least expected to prepare ourselves for. Join a sex dungeon and people will probably expect that you want sex dungeony things done to your cargo scoop. Nobody could reasonably blame those who then give you what you signaled, by joining, that you wanted.

Brilliantly said.

And I'm not talking about this silly academy that is nothing but a weak alibi attempt, I'm talking about going Open for people who are not prepared to what can happen there.
GEA is at 120 members now and I personally have trained over a dozen players while @ACowForAllSeasons and @Danquememe have help train probably a dozen more.
GEA has been very successful and is something I enjoy doing more than ganking.

I can't stress this often enough: I don't understand the appeal of ganking, but then I also don't get why people who obviously suffer from being ganked, allow that ("gankies", is that the right word?). And I'm not talking about this silly academy that is nothing but a weak alibi attempt, I'm talking about going Open for people who are not prepared to what can happen there.

I have zero compassion with the gankies either, as it's them who make ganking possible at all! No gankies, no gankers, simple like that. If only they could understand this circular dependency, all the whining and all these discussions would immediately stop in a puff of smoke. We are really talking 'self-induced suffering' here - it's nonsense like that, no more, no less.

But the Irony is supreme...
Gankers go out on a spree, less people in open, more* threads requesting open only features :D

* yeap, this year the open only threads vastly outnumbered the "i was ganked" threads

Top Bottom