Why Does Some Think Python MKII Is Only Being Sold For Early Access?

I guess "exclusive access" doesn't sound so funny, but that's exactly what it is.
Who other than non players is excluded other than by their own decisions?

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't got to Elite in anything yet since resetting my CMDR earlier this year, so no access to Jameson's yet, but good to know they're out there. Maybe I need to go squash some more Orthruses if I want P2 armour and a fleet carrier....
I believe there is a non rank locked station somewhere in the bubble that also has everything but it does have a surcharge on all items.

It is the same with any content added to the game, only those who do not play can claim to be excluded, as choice is the part of the player's repertiore, isn't it?
(I mean, I took out a Dangerous / Deadly C3 with the stock P2 Stellar yesterday, ithe C3 was engineered, the P2 has none, it did take a bit longer than I'd prefer, but even with the peashooters on the ship, it was possible)

I believe there is a non rank locked station somewhere in the bubble that also has everything but it does have a surcharge on all items.
Am I supposed to answer this obvious one? Everybody knows what "exclusive access" means, right? We had this exclusivity crap for like two decades now with the likes of Sony, Nintendo, MMOs, etc.

I see it as early access. It's a new ship, and it needs to be tested. If people are willing to pay for that, I think it's perfectly fine. Take the Mamba, for example; it had its share of issues when it first launched, which were later patched. I'm going to wait patiently until August because I don't want to encourage this tactic by Frontier. I'm willing to bet that they'll use the same strategy with the next three new ships, putting them behind a paywall and requiring payment if you want "early access".

Early Access is by usual definition unfinished / unpolished content that isn't fully ready for release. Why FD would use this well-established term to interprete a different meaning to it - even if it is a literal take on it - is beyond me.
Not true for the MMOs I play. Early access to, for example, a new expansion is where you pay a premium (or just pre-order) to have access to new content for some number of days before others who have not paid the premium. There's no expectation of it not being ready for release. That would be alpha or beta access. For example FFXIV Endwalker early access
The early access is basically a 3-day advance start. An added bonus for preordering the expansion. Nothing is reverted, nothing is gated. Everything is available and ready when it goes live.

Not true for the MMOs I play. Early access to, for example, a new expansion is where you pay a premium (or just pre-order) to have access to new content for some number of days before others who have not paid the premium. There's no expectation of it not being ready for release. That would be alpha or beta access. For example FFXIV Endwalker early access

Interesting that this sort of thing happens in other MMOs. This game is the closest thing I've ever played to an MMO.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I think RatCatcher is saying that if you go with (for example) Steam's definition of Early Access, where indeed you can expect rough edges, the Python Stellar matches that definition, and when it comes out of Early Access in Aug 7th you should expect a mild polish based on Early feedback. So now everyone agrees what Early Access means, we can all get on with our lives, boosted or otherwise.

In other words you two are agreeing but talking past each other.

Am I supposed to answer this obvious one? Everybody knows what "exclusive access" means, right?
Since as far as I can tell you are the one calling this Early Access option Exclusive Access yes!

Exclusive Access is access that is made available to a limited number by the access provider, choosing not to pay to access something does not make it exclusive.

We had this exclusivity crap for like two decades now with the likes of Sony, Nintendo, MMOs, etc.
I wouldn't know as I have had no dealings with the two companies and the nearest thing to an MMO I have played is this game.

I guess context matters a lot. And when your context is usually visiting a digital distribution platform then early access is simply something else.
ED's offer isn't just some number ofr days, though, is it? It's more like half a year.

Temporary exclusion through chosing not to pay for content you already paid for is still exclusion. And we have a whole thread about a class of individuals who feel the shouldn't have to pay for it and thus feel unfairly excluded.

At first glance this post reads like your translation software isn’t working properly at second glance…

Maybe I just don’t understand the yooth of today.
Ohh I'm flattered cos I'm 57!
Anyways its a London thing.
Slang!
Sort of..
And that vulture someone mentioned just translates to a little red box normally a fsd or powerplant or drive(s).
The ship itself is irrelevant. Yeah a vulture moves quicker. But I'm a good railer.
The mamba is my missus. Her job is to slow and disable the targets fsd.
I'm wondering, is the next huge change to elite that they mentioned relating to core gameplay, gonner be the removal of instancing and a open sandbox type combat thing like SC.?
Oh l Hope so. Cos the biggest bugbear is instancing itself when a small wing descends upon a wanted or PP enemy and it doesn't work out cos of the way instancing Goes wrong.
Yeah that'd be cool.

I would still consider that to be delayed access, but it only being three days and/or being for preorders of something you'd have to pay for anyway shifts the scales a little. Feels more like creating a small benefit for those who commited earlier, rather than introducing a major delay in the hopes that people will pay to bypass it.

Still ultimately the same thing though, I'd rather not have either but I'd be posting a lot less if it was three days, lol.

Presently one wishing early access is mandated to utilize arc's, if and when having sufficient number of arc's within the game, one can utilize them. if one doesn't have sufficient number's of arc's, using real money from various countries, one can purchase the number of arc needed and or more.

Once one has access to the early release of any of the available ship's after paying arc's. they then using the in game ship yard, using in game credit's purchase the ship or ship's they paid arc's to do so, prior to anyone willing to wait until Aug 7. Which then using only in game credit's purchase the same ship's, using zero arc's.

I would still consider that to be delayed access, but it only being three days and/or being for preorders of something you'd have to pay for anyway shifts the scales a little. Feels more like creating a small benefit for those who commited earlier, rather than introducing a major delay in the hopes that people will pay to bypass it.

Still ultimately the same thing though, I'd rather not have either but I'd be posting a lot less if it was three days, lol.
Your personal definitions and proclivities have no bearing on the real world definitions of things.

Your personal definitions and proclivities have no bearing on the real world definitions of things.

Problem is, there aren't industry-wide definitions of this kind of thing. Valve might have popularised a certain definition of Early Access through their Steam client, but nobody else in the games industry is required to cleave to it. So all that's left is expectations, and those will vary between individuals.

Top Bottom