Why does Super Cruise travel take so long?

It's not his fault that the genre is called space-sim.

The guy I quoted was using the "it's a sim so it should be realistic" as an argument, which I've seen many times here.

The fact that this genre's name is entirely a misnomer doesn't mean it suddenly makes sense to base your argument off what flatout isn't true.

(Side note, I'm happy it's not a sim. Spaceship combat as we dream it is pure fantasy.)

The guy I quoted was using the "it's a sim so it should be realistic" as an argument, which I've seen many times here.

The fact that this genre's name is entirely a misnomer doesn't mean it suddenly makes sense to base your argument off what flatout isn't true.

(Side note, I'm happy it's not a sim. Spaceship combat as we dream it is pure fantasy.)
'It should be realistic' is probably nonsense considering we are using a FSD that is mostly made up with entirely made up velocities. However, Elite also tries to realistically represent the galaxy and long travel times help appreciating the scale of it.
The galaxy in Elite is probably the most 'sim-like' in the history of video games.

I come from a background of fighter flight sims. Most of those involved a mission where you might fly for 20 or more minutes to make the infiltration just a few minutes of time on target and then perhaps an ‘exciting’ ride home. Some much longer than that.

The take-off, travel, and landing is part of it. Some had time acceleration for the longer legs where nothing could happen but in a online multiplayer game that can’t be. I’d be all for a more sim-like experience in game. More technical switches to flip. Having to hit approach and velocity targets to setup an orbit. And other such technicalities.

However just appearing at the destination. “Nope”.

I guess, as a new player, I think travel is fine as is. I could perhaps see letting people Hyperspace to the other stellar bodies if they exceed 100,000ls. But it doesn’t really bother me that you can’t either.

Last edited:
I only wish Evochron had ED's visuals...

I can deal with the graphics, it's Evochron's lack of content that is a real deal breaker for me. The little combat there is to be had is very poor to say the least, or at least it was when I played a couple years ago.

'It should be realistic' is probably nonsense considering we are using a FSD that is mostly made up with entirely made up velocities. However, Elite also tries to realistically represent the galaxy and long travel times help appreciating the scale of it.
The galaxy in Elite is probably the most 'sim-like' in the history of video games.

Space Engine?

I like these sorts of mechanics because in the event you do manage to whack a PK you don't want him back in your grill in 30 seconds.
Also, exponentially faster travel would impact the faction wars (space truckers moving incredible amounts of data/supplies in record time).

This seems to happen in every game I play, that is, people get annoyed by a certain aspect which is then changed without regard to the impact on the rest of the game.

Travel speed has a tremendous impact on balance.
IMHO, it cannot be tweaked without other major systems being rebalanced.

It is available on Steam in the games section under the category simulator.

It definetly is a video game.
No, not really.
It's a software / program. It doesn't really matter in which section steam puts it.
I once used a terrain generator called Terragen. Is that a game as well?
As a game, Space Engine lacks as many sim aspects as Elite, depending on your point of view. And it doesn't really have anything that would make it a game.
Space Engine is like your personal planetarium.

No, not really.
It's a software / program. It doesn't really matter in which section steam puts it.
I once used a terrain generator called Terragen. Is that a game as well?
As a game, Space Engine lacks as many sim aspects as Elite, depending on your point of view. And it doesn't really have anything that would make it a game.
Space Engine is like your personal planetarium.
All videogames are software / programs, people say it is a video game and it is sold as a video game.

Also, you don't need to have all of the sim aspects of ED to be a sim.

Top Bottom