Why don't hotspots work?

It seems to be fairly random how good a particular single hotspot is.

I have been out in the black, about 22,000LY from the bubble but less than 1000LY from Colonia, and spent the last week doing a fair bit of exploring and mining.

While I found a couple of hotspots that seemed to be empty of anything worthwhile (like a VO hotspot with no VOs anywhere after 30 minutes of looking), but most of them have been better, and closer to what I'd expect. I found one LTD2 that produces extremely well, so those can be found in the black also. I have not found any triples to test yet.

Anyway, they do work, but it's not uniform. You still have to check each one out to see how good it is. That's my experience so far.
Thx

My latest haul mining two single LTD hotspots 1500LY out:

md1d42g.jpg

The first of the two was very lean on LTD yield and the second much more productive. I mine all four sources, which I recommend given the changes in mining distributions that seem to have been made lately. I obtained decent LTD results from all but surface deposits. The one SSD LTD lode I encountered gave me 44T, so it's worth taking some missiles along. Lasering was my least-productive method, as I chanced across only three intrinsic lodes though I did laser-prospect throughout the session. None of the rocks I chipped off and scanned had LTD, those rocks I found to laser out LTD came from scanning for SSD or cores, and were serendipitous. Seems laser mining for LTD has been reduced in effectiveness. It works great for Tritium, though!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Hello, have you met FD? 😛

Yes, I have actually been to FDEV towers and met a few people from the team :p

But yeah, the majority of the game is equally amazing and bug ridden. Me no likey, but me sorta got used to it now, but me also sorta like to moan about it, coz me no likey! On a more serious note, they do actually listen to feedback, so I don't see why not point things out :)

Sure have. I'm in a VO hotspot right now and have scanned around fifty asteroids at the centre of the hotspot and haven't found any VO content of any description.

And you will never find any since VO are only found in deepcore asteroids (the extremely brightly yellow lit ones)
These can be found only using the PWS and they're usually found like 1 in every 30-50 km

What does a VO hotspot will be your next question?
Simply: it will increase the chance to find VO in deep core asteroids instead of bromelite or ltd or alexandrite.
But this chance is not very big. My personal (bad) record was to find 5 bromelite cores in a row followed by a ltd core - IN A VO HOTSPOT
And this happened about one year ago... so not related with current changes.

And you will never find any since VO are only found in deepcore asteroids (the extremely brightly yellow lit ones)
These can be found only using the PWS and they're usually found like 1 in every 30-50 km

What does a VO hotspot will be your next question?
Simply: it will increase the chance to find VO in deep core asteroids instead of bromelite or ltd or alexandrite.
But this chance is not very big. My personal (bad) record was to find 5 bromelite cores in a row followed by a ltd core - IN A VO HOTSPOT
And this happened about one year ago... so not related with current changes.
Yeah, core mining in hotspots is weird nowadays, or perhaps for longer, I dunno -- in my last run @1500LY out I hit far more VO than LTD cores in two LTD hotspots. Which is fine by me, I'm really not all that picky about what the Universe serves up for me.

Did a some single LTD Hotspot mining in the black last night (both SSD & Laser)
Only found 3 rocks with any diamond content (20%, 12.1% & 9%) - from 100+ limpets - no LTD cores or SSD's
came away with:
14T LTD
88T tritium (about the only SSD's worth harvesting)

doesn't really light the fire for mining out of the Bubble...

Did a some single LTD Hotspot mining in the black last night (both SSD & Laser)
Only found 3 rocks with any diamond content (20%, 12.1% & 9%) - from 100+ limpets - no LTD cores or SSD's
came away with:
14T LTD
88T tritium (about the only SSD's worth harvesting)

doesn't really light the fire for mining out of the Bubble...

This is my experience too - was hoping to do some prospecting while exploring, but it really doesn't seem very worthwhile from the sample of single hotspots I've tried so far. Maybe the sample size is too low, but they really don't seem to contain what's advertised (except for the tritium ones).

I know how you feel..

did 75 limpets in the same LTD hotspot again tonight

21T LTD - a couple more (4x 20%+) rocks than last nights session (no SSD)
29T Tritium (from SSD's)

Looks like we have to look for double / triples to make it work while

Looks like we have to look for double / triples to make it work while
I cannot say why, but all my mining in the black (from 500 to 2000LY out) has so far been comparable to what I report in post #23 above, and always in single hotspots. It has taken longer than it did a while back to fill my hold, average around 100T/hr, but I can do so reliably. I don't pass up lodes just because I'm in a particular type of hotspot, so that helps fill up faster, but I've still been getting plenty of the "advertised" mineral/chemical (usually LTD or Tritium) at every outing. I even did a sortie to some metal rich & metallic rings to test painite mining (both types) and found it pretty much as usual. The farther out I get and the more I mine, the more I can't understand others finding the Universe so stingy. I've mined enough that my "luck" should average out, so I don't think that is it; all I can think of is a regional variation. I've been following a path out to the Ring Nebula since carriers dropped (I guess that's galactic "west" from Sol?) and I'm still in the Inner Orion Arm, if that sheds any light or lights up any wacky theories ;).

Which would be a million times better solution IMO. But hey, at least people can exploit bazillion of Credits and get away with it so... who cares right?

As for the OP - I've seen this mentioned many times across various media. Maybe they nerfed the rates too much for the outskirts of the hotspots and they feed too much into the centres as well, basically rendering any information of what you can find inside a single hotspot useless? No idea.
Five and a half hours in a double hotspot and absolutely no cores detected with the PWS. On the yellow hits it came up with everything else but the material advertised for that spot..... plenty of Tritium though**... 5.5 hours and not one single material item I was scanning for. THIS since the last update.... why do FDev have to make everything running smoothly, hit the buffers???? After playing ED since 2014 I really am at a loss as to FDev logic!!!!! o7

**As I don't want to compleyely waste my mining time spent, Tritium is not on my ignore list... consequently having been looking for everything other than Tritium; I now have approaching 3000 units of 'unwanted' Tritium in my FC's storage + a full tank!!!!! :unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom