Why Haven't you got a Fleet Carrier?

I´m a pilot, not a manager. For the same reason I do not need base building.
I like to play the game like I did back in 1989, only with more colour. So I mostly ignore the FC, though it´s nice to have one near a CZ.

I just have to say I really like my fleet carrier. It's great taking it exploring because it's like taking my portable home with me. Any discoveries I make can be sold to UC immediately and I can repair my ship quick and easy. The credits I make exploring more than pays for the maintenance. When I get back to the bubble I'm certain I'll be using it for other activities.

Now that I have a fleet carrier I can't imagine life for me in the game without one.

I'm really liking mine too. Bounced out to the Witch head with my AX combat ship over the weekend. Brought my squadron buddies with me and we had a blast squashing bugs. Bounced us all back into the bubble today.

Yes, it's a lot of work to get, and some work to keep too, but it's great.

Nice topic for a thread. I like to read about peoples experiences with them.

I grinded away to get the money to buy one and then some more for the upkeep. Now I have about 8 billion in credits I just don't feel like buying one. I have caught a lift on several carriers. I hitched a lift to Colonia and then a few months later, back again to the bubble. I think it is nice travelling on one when the owner interacts with his passengers. That was the first time I had ever been far away from the bubble, which was an interesting experience.

Maybe I will buy one sometime just to experience them, but the upkeep just puts me off when I do not put that many hours into the game. It feels like a grind trap at the moment. Can someone who owns one, comment on how easy/hard it is to maintain the upkeep on one?

I've just returned to the game after the long hiatus, this is a new thingy for me.

I have the money to purchase one, but can't see the use. What am I to do with it as a casual player, with long vacation times from the game? It can't earn by itself while I'm away.

And for starters, how the hell am I to make money with one? :)
Well I bought one because I had the money. I was not considering it useful as well but it turned out to be game changer. I keep all my ships and modules in my carrier. I jump to witch head nebula for thargoid fighting. I have few nicce mining spots out in the black. I jump back to the bubble with all my ships for missions. I jump to the engeneers and that saves a lot of time for ships with short jump range. I enjoy having a massive ship/base. I put in its inventory 1 billion credits and that will be enough to maintain my carrier for over 18 months if I dont play. So if you have the money to buy and outfit one you should be able to maintain it easily even if you dont play regularly. If you loose it bu some chance you should get back your 5 billions.

Over the last couple years I played the game on and off for a few months, one year unlocking the engineers, next travelling to Colonia (on scenic route throught the Rift), and the last months travelling from Colonia via SagA and the "eastern" edge back to the bubble.
Last years trip to Colonia brought me already close to 5 billion credits. To have the option to get me a carrier I decidded to earn me the required credits with another exploration trip.
After the 3 months (>3000 systems) trip back to the bubble I worked a week to unlock the LYR bonus to earn me ~3x the credits for my exploration data, getting me to 16 billion total. At the same time while unlocking the LYR bonus, I also earned me the rank to unlock the Imperial Cutter.

So I now have the option to get me the carrier, but what would I use it for?
For exploration I obviously don't really need it, in the context of earning credits esp. with the LYR bonus it would even be counter-productive!
So for exploration it would be just a (convenient?) base of operation that needs some effort to drag it along. The upkeep is easily paid with a few dozen newly explored systems - achieving 1-1.5 million average per system is not unrealistic. Keeping the Tritium storage at acceptable levels might take some more effort.

Back in the bubble it would be a mobile base for ships and equipment.
Before leaving and right after return, I mainly used two ships in the bubble, a T-9 as transport and a Python for most anything else. Add an iClipper for some Tharg scout hunting, and my exploration AspX to hop around some.
As I was in LYR space and you CG lot unlocked a further discount on imperial ships, I got me the iCutter, fully equipped and engineered. That's when I felt the urge to pull the trigger on purchasing a carrier. Especially as I added and engineered more equipment to support slightly different setups.
And that might only get more, as I meanwhile also got to 92% of unlocking the FatCorvette, and next weekend I will become eligible to buy a reserve stack of Packhound missiles. As I am already close to the limit of 120 modules, I might need additional "storage" ships for excess modules.

So that's where I think I might soon really buy me a carrier, to support my increasing fleet and have the modules around to change setups. We'll see...
At least credits is not a problem, I can easily transfer a few billion to not bother with that for a few years. And if it is just a bubble shuttle for my fleet, Tritium will also be of little concern...

Expensive, less than ideal upkeep and in their current form I simply don't have a use for one...or the time to deal with fuel or maintenance.
As it stands now I would get more use out of my Thargoid bobble head than I would out of a FC.
I'm really liking mine too. Bounced out to the Witch head with my AX combat ship over the weekend. Brought my squadron buddies with me and we had a blast squashing bugs. Bounced us all back into the bubble today.

Yes, it's a lot of work to get, and some work to keep too, but it's great.
Took me 20-25ish minutes to fly our there from Sol in my fully engineered AX Phantom...Probably less time than it took you all to organise yourselves and all get onto the carrier :D
Personally I quite enjoy the "downtime" here and there as combat, combat, combat 24/7 can hurt your brain.

Maybe I will buy one sometime just to experience them, but the upkeep just puts me off when I do not put that many hours into the game. It feels like a grind trap at the moment. Can someone who owns one, comment on how easy/hard it is to maintain the upkeep on one?

Not difficult. You can "suspend" services when not using them (though this does mean that visitors can't use them either), upkeep for mine is just under 10 million per week. One evening running high-reward missions is enough for several weeks.

Top Bottom