Why I hate the DBX

How anyone can find this magnificent ship ugly is beyond me:

5NFHp6f.jpg

Then, everybody has their own taste, I guess.:)

No, I don't need to learn to "love" it, I'll kick it every time I alight from it. And since its my precious time I'd have to loose on any taxi with less jump range, I can't think of any alternative...

Or is the Dolphin a match in Jump range @52-55 LY...?

Prior to quitting during 1.4, when FD didn't have actual bookmarks implemented yet, I littered the bubble with nearly 100 Haulers configured for 34 LY jump range as an alternative to bookmarking systems!

An interesting solution to bookmarks.... :p

Would a long range iCourier work? Just thinking aloud... I might check that out...

"I mean, would you pick a well appointed 2018 BMW as your daily driver or 1970's Chevette with all padding removed?"

I would never own a Chevette, but just about any full sized 70's American car. I wouldn't be caught dead in a bmw, euro peon trash.

In fact my current daily driver is a CUCV, a mid 80's square body chevy truck with bare metal interior, mechanical diesel, and zero electronics.

Last edited:
No, I don't need to learn to "love" it, I'll kick it every time I alight from it. And since its my precious time I'd have to loose on any taxi with less jump range, I can't think of any alternative...

Or is the Dolphin a match in Jump range @52-55 LY...?

Prior to quitting during 1.4, when FD didn't have actual bookmarks implemented yet, I littered the bubble with nearly 100 Haulers configured for 34 LY jump range as an alternative to bookmarking systems!

Dolphins are great but max out at <50 ly (47ish IIRC). Personally I think they make a better explorer if you aren't doing stuff on the very edge as they fuel quicker and are more nimble in normal space.

How anyone can find this magnificent ship ugly is beyond me

The only thing I don't like on the DBX are the "wings". Were it up to me, I'd merge them into the body more solidly so they looked more like the hull. I mean, seriously!? What do they do anyway?

But if you want ugly, that'd be the T6. Looks like a bloated tick. The Asp X and the Cobra -- prepares to duck ;) -- no shape or form at all. The imperial ships? Mostly too much "flourish" to them. Hell, I don't even like the Dolphin, Orca or Beluga because they look TOO MUCH like a dolphin, orca or beluga...

My DBX's jump range hovers between 48 - 52 lightyears, depending on current loadout, but when moving around the bubble, I rarely see a single jump that's over the low, sometimes mid, 40's.

Beyond a certain point (in relatively dense space, like the bubble), you effectively see diminishing returns on jump range in terms of jump-per-trip, due to star distribution and you having a specific destination. There was a great thread on it a while back, with some interesting data to back it up. For a quick and dirty summary, let's say you're traveling 120 light years - if your range is 55ly or 45ly, you're still doing it in three jumps. Gets more interesting when you factor in star distribution, which means that you rarely, if ever, use your maximum jump anyway. You could end up doing the same three jumps in a 65ly ship or a 42ly one. (I guess you have fuel savings though)

Basically, unless it's a matter of pride-on-paper of having big numbers on the range screen, a souped-up Dolphin or Orca will get you there in as many jumps pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
My DBX's jump range hovers between 48 - 52 lightyears, depending on current loadout, but when moving around the bubble, I rarely see a single jump that's over the low, sometimes mid, 40's.

Beyond a certain point (in relatively dense space, like the bubble), you effectively see diminishing returns on jump range in terms of jump-per-trip, due to star distribution and you having a specific destination. There was a great thread on it a while back, with some interesting data to back it up.

Yep, once you get over 50+ lys it begins to matter less and less with regards to travel time. It still matters with regards to reaching far off systems however.

My DBX makes 58.72lys, 60.87 on fumes.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/dia...=.EwegLCAMUgHDBTAhgcwDYJCAjJPQ&bn=STAR BLAZER

After 3.0 she'll go a bit further, reaching 61.87lys full up and 64.06lys on fumes. At least that's what I saw in the beta.

One thing that I like about the DBX is that you can still get around 50ly (engineered or course) maxed-out A-rated without skimping on modules/weapons.

I also like it's acceleration... not to mention thruster sounds.

You hate it because you don't want to like it but it's too useful!
Kinda how I feel, but after a while the hate wears off leaving only love or at the very least respect :D
You forgot to add it's terrible at turning, even with DD5's.
Anyway yes, it's brilliant material gathering forward recon machine and I couldn't do without it.

I won't go as far as to say I could not do without it however, what you say is true in that it is a very useful ship for going places and doing things such as materials gathering. Just barely big enough and can carry just enough to get the job done, can go anywhere in the bubble in just a few jumps and able to run away from almost any problem, I find it very useful. In my DBX I was able to run the Palin 5000 LY unlock mission, out-and-back in just about 4 hours of casual play and another time, approaching Jameson Memorial Station I was interdicted by a CMDR in a PvP Corvette and managed to get away with barely the loss of a single ring of shield. o7

Last edited:
This the the 415m/s 50LY armed and shielded DBX (+SRV) I mentioned earlier. You simply can't do this in an Asp.

[video=youtube;nFSU1oAZGtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSU1oAZGtM[/video]

Max fuel scoop's too small and I hate the claustrophobic canopy. Makes a decent bubble taxi but I'd rather fly my Asp.

My bubble taxi, was an Adder before I discorvered the DBX.

Now don't get me wrong, I got too much love for the multipurpose adder.
With the enhanced performance engines and the chapter one engineer buff.
717m/s
and a jumprange of 43 ly(?) I never really got into that bit.
Aside from a iCourier,
or some eagle,
there isn't much going to stay ontop of it in normal space.
And how many ships are into a 40+ly okay, it's still no DBX,
and well, you can't look out of the side.
Good visibilty, class 2 and class 3 weapons slots,
50+ly jump-range,

but the adder burned it's way into my heart,it made Elite, elite, by giving me that multipurpose ship that could haul, mine, and take on that bit bigger ship,
and I just can't let go.

Sure cobra, anaconda and python do pretty much what the Adder can offer (multipurpose) but just sooo much "more" of it.
and I own all those ships, I just don't fly them.

Last edited:
You hate it because you don't want to like it but it's too useful!

Kinda how I feel, but after a while the hate wears off leaving only love or at the very least respect :D

You forgot to add it's terrible at turning, even with DD5's.

Anyway yes, it's brilliant material gathering forward recon machine and I couldn't do without it.

This is pretty much my gripe with the python, i hate it because its too useful. Im not asking for a nerf or rebalance by anymeans of course.

My bubble taxi, was an Adder before I discorvered the DBX.

Now don't get me wrong, I got too much love for the multipurpose adder.
With the enhanced performance engines and the chapter one engineer buff.
717m/s
and a jumprange of 43 ly(?) I never really got into that bit.
Aside from a iCourier,
or some eagle,
there isn't much going to stay ontop of it in normal space.
And how many ships are into a 40+ly okay, it's still no DBX,
and well, you can't look out of the side.
Good visibilty, class 2 and class 3 weapons slots,
50+ly jump-range,

but the adder burned it's way into my heart,it made Elite, elite, by giving me that multipurpose ship that could haul, mine, and take on that bit bigger ship,
and I just can't let go.

Sure cobra, anaconda and python do pretty much what the Adder can offer (multipurpose) but just sooo much "more" of it.
and I own all those ships, I just don't fly them.

Same here. The Adder was the first ship I bought in Elite. I often use it for puttering around on planets. I was doing so today. And hey, it made me about 10 million. Not bad for a little guy.

uizj7Yx.jpg

I gotta say, I bought the Dolphin and I am currently setting it up to make my first trip to Sagittarius A because I hate seeing everyone doing it on the Asp, but you guys are making me want to switch it up to the DBE. I do LOVE the dolphin so far, but the DBE sounds like a great no nonsense ship to fly.

DBX is a good bubble taxi, but the small fuel scoop kills it as an explorer.

Others will try to convince you otherwise, but it speaks for itself when you fly one.

Top Bottom