Why I hate the DBX

That's basically what I meant.
Using existing ships and adjust the stats a bit to make them feel like ships a specific manufacturer would make would simply makes it easier for FDev. Designing a completely new ship model would still be a big task and take quite some time.

But that's not what I meant at all, I don't want to see any trans-manufacturer variations without a good reason. No strange Core Dynamics FDLs, no Lakon Pythons. Instead, I'd rather see new ships or modifications of an existing manufacturer's ship to fill gaps; for example, having a Core Dynamics heavy dropship variant to compete with the Python as a medium multipurpose/trader, or having some kind of viper MkV that can go toe-to-toe against a Vulture to give the Delacey lineup a proper heavy fighter.

Can't FDev makes us a bit more luxurious, stylish explorer for people with a taste for well crafted interiors and somewhat more elegant exteriors? I.E. everything very similar to the DBX in function, just far more stylish looking inside and out and better sounding!

I've been asking for an Imperial Explorer for years now. Gutamaya is lacking a medium sized ship and the Python has no competition in the medium ship fleet, so I feel like Frontier could kill two birds with one stone here. Implement the Imperial Explorer by Gutamaya, a medium sized ship (basically a cross between the Courier and the Clipper) with cargo cap a bit less than a Python, much worse combat potential than a Python, but then give it a jump range on par with the Anaconda. Throw in a beautiful panoramic glass cockpit and walla, a stylish and useful new ship added to the game, giving both medium traders an option to the Python while also giving explorers an option to the Anaconda.

Regarding the DBX though, it's my main ship currently and I fly it 90% of the time since the jump range buff. Yeah I don't love the ship, but it serves me well.

Meh, I don't use a "taxi" in the game and find getting across the bubble in 10 to 15 minutes sufficient.

My only real issue with the DbE is the low fuel scooping rate and that it doesn't quite perform as well as my Vulture in other areas.

Might set up a Chieftain as mission runner of sorts and to work on some of the Engineer stuff. We'll see.

Personally, I really like the look of the DbS (well, all but that bit of cable bulging over in front of the canopy), but don't find it to be a particularly practical ship to use.

I suppose if you're more into the PVP meta or something, a "taxi" ship might be more of a necessity.

Last edited:
I use the dolphin as a space limo/taxi it looks luxurious, it is fast as hell, super nimble, great jump range, I love it. I do love the helicopter look of the DBX as well, but the dolphin is super slick.

Have you tried the Orca?

I have two Orcas. They look nice and have decent jump range if built lightly with a ~50% FSD roll, but still 10 LY less than DBX.
They have a little better slots than the DBX for general purposes, but only a little because you can't stick a fuel scoop in the C6 slot and you can't use the C5 slot for anything but cargo either. And for most purposes you can use the Orca for, the Python can do it better, plus medium pads in places like Ceos.

IMO, the Orca's slot restrictions even bork it for the purpose it was built for: taking tourists for exploration - I would NEVER pick an Orca to go to Concordia and that range of places first class exploration missions go to.

Those parties are usually only 4-6 people and you'd want separate passenger modules, cause these people don't want to share the same module. So restricting the best and second best fuel scoop slot to passenger modules and having not enough utility slots and slots for smaller passenger modules makes my Orca merely a good looking Sunday afternoon ship.

There is no functional reason known to me, to use it over a Python, ASP or Anaconda (I have modded a Python to match the Orca's jump range).

If you know any practical reasons to use the Orca I'm not aware off, please let me know... I'd be better served if it used a medium landing pad.

Still looking for someone to park it on a planet next to a python, so we can see by screenshot if the Orca is really bigger than the Python...

Haters gonna hate.

I use haulers for my in Bubble taxis. My DBX is my long range explorer.

I will counter the OP with-

The DBX has the look and feel of a helicopter, which is fun and different. I quite enjoy it. It's also the best at what it does. So, learn to love it or use an alternative. I'd suggest the Dolphin.

No, I don't need to learn to "love" it, I'll kick it every time I alight from it. And since its my precious time I'd have to loose on any taxi with less jump range, I can't think of any alternative...

Or is the Dolphin a match in Jump range @52-55 LY...?

Prior to quitting during 1.4, when FD didn't have actual bookmarks implemented yet, I littered the bubble with nearly 100 Haulers configured for 34 LY jump range as an alternative to bookmarking systems!

Last edited:
Which buff?
Is is still under the Anaconda (engineered lightweight) one?

I have a light weight engineered Anaconda with a 54% FSD roll, and it merely matches a DBX with a 50% FSD roll.
I'm fixing to do 60 rolls on dozen 5A and 4A FSDs - need a few more datamined wake scans to start...

Once I did a single roll for a 3A FSD for my imp eagle, and I ended up with a 50% roll for it - it has a 28 LY range with that now, I mainly use it for Wake data scanning or boom data missions :D

Last edited:
I have two Orcas. They look nice and have decent jump range if built lightly with a ~50% FSD roll, but still 10 LY less than DBX.
They have a little better slots than the DBX for general purposes, but only a little because you can't stick a fuel scoop in the C6 slot and you can't use the C5 slot for anything but cargo either. And for most purposes you can use the Orca for, the Python can do it better, plus medium pads in places like Ceos.

IMO, the Orca's slot restrictions even bork it for the purpose it was built for: taking tourists for exploration - I would NEVER pick an Orca to go to Concordia and that range of places first class exploration missions go to.

Those parties are usually only 4-6 people and you'd want separate passenger modules, cause these people don't want to share the same module. So restricting the best and second best fuel scoop slot to passenger modules and having not enough utility slots and slots for smaller passenger modules makes my Orca merely a good looking Sunday afternoon ship.

There is no functional reason known to me, to use it over a Python, ASP or Anaconda (I have modded a Python to match the Orca's jump range).

If you know any practical reasons to use the Orca I'm not aware off, please let me know... I'd be better served if it used a medium landing pad.

Still looking for someone to park it on a planet next to a python, so we can see by screenshot if the Orca is really bigger than the Python...

Since when can’t you use a C5 fuel scoop on the Orca? It has 3 class 5 slots of which only one is locked to cargo, passengers or H/MRPs.

As for uses, I can name three off the top of my head.

1. It is and has always been the best blockade runner in the game due to having the same speed, slightly stronger shields and a smaller profile than the Clipper and a higher MLF of 13, so it can low wake from FDLs and Clippers while easily outrunning anything it can’t low wake from. The only ships that can even remotely threaten it is an FAS or another Orca.

2. It’s the best ship for running luxury sightseeing missions in the bubble, if you know where to find them. ;)

3. The recent buff has made it one of the best rares trading ships due to a higher capacity than an ASPX with only the price and a slightly lower range being the negatives, which are offset by the previous advantages I’ve already listed.
But who seriously trades rares anymore? FD could double the allocations and most people still wouldn’t trade them outside of CGs.

As for the DBX, it’s one of my favourite ships, looks included.
Midnight black with green thrusters, weapons and shields looks quite nice.

Last edited:
(P.S. Yes, I know some people will respond and say they like the feel of an ominous sounding tiny Nostromo, but not all people do)

Well, this is the point, isn't it? Whether you like the ship or not is entirely subjective. I love the DBX, and the only reason I don't use it as my bubble hopper is that the fuel scoop irritates me (so I use my AspX).

I like pretty much all the ships, as they each have their foibles. This is a good thing.

I've been engineering mine this week. With 4D shields, 3A low emissions power plant, 4A dirty drives and 4A engine focused distributor I can boost over surfaces @ 415m/s, constantly. Did I mention it runs ice cold, even with the dirties? I forgot to mention it has an SRV. It also has a large multi cannon.

It also jumps - with a full 32T tank - 50.4 LY.

There's no better explorer. Not if you want to have fun doing it.

Which buff?
Is is still under the Anaconda (engineered lightweight) one?

If you engineer both fully the conda will still come out on top. 64 tonne sensors getting a massive weight reduction helps it. 65 ish ly in the DBX is more than enough for me though. (Based on new engineering coming)

72 ish is possible in the conda though.

WsItVNb.jpg

Last edited:
Hauler. Less costly than a night in a London bar and does the taxi job so well I previously nominated it for a taxi paintjob.

It isn't l337 but melikes the DBX. APA on top will scare the crap out of most assailants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom