Why I Wanted Ship Interiors

Games like Guns of Icarus and Blackwake are excellent examples of games built around this sort of content. Which is to say, combat happens much more slowly and with less reliance on twitch skill and reaction time, and the controls are designed such that you can afford to leave your seat and focus on other things for a while. At the same time, the ships are much smaller, with the largest ships being roughly the size of a vulture; a small ship in Elite.

Elite isn't a ship or broadside simulator, it's a fighter jet simulator. Even the largest and slowest ships in elite maneuver and move substantially faster than the fastest ships in these other games.

Games like Guns of Icarus and Blackwake are excellent examples of games built around this sort of content. Which is to say, combat happens much more slowly and with less reliance on twitch skill and reaction time, and the controls are designed such that you can afford to leave your seat and focus on other things for a while. At the same time, the ships are much smaller, with the largest ships being roughly the size of a vulture; a small ship in Elite.

Elite isn't a ship or broadside simulator, it's a fighter jet simulator. Even the largest and slowest ships in elite maneuver and move substantially faster than the fastest ships in these other games.

The captain can't really afford to leave the steering wheel in either GoI or BW.

And no one said it would need to be copypasted. Edit: e.g. copypasting those games would suddenly make SP impossible. That would be a bad implementation IMO.

I wouldn't know because I can't get over my thalassophobia quite enough to play it. 🤦‍♂️
Oh, I'm kinda with you there. I do NOT like descending in the original game from surface to deep sea. But I'm ok as long as I'm following the bottom out. And you can start from the shallows, so that's okay. It's no different from flying a ship, really. A ship where you can put a garden in, attach stuff to the walls, and walk around.

Oh, I'm kinda with you there. I do NOT like descending in the original game from surface to deep sea. But I'm ok as long as I'm following the bottom out. And you can start from the shallows, so that's okay. It's no different from flying a ship, really. A ship where you can put a garden in, attach stuff to the walls, and walk around.

Haha eep

I would love to see D.Braben to come back to this topic, and just line out, if that topic is completly closed, or if it is still something he plans to add in the future....but of course that will not happen....

I've been with this game for a long, long time- roughly six months from launch till now- and while I never thought I'd be one to leave, here we are.

Over ship interiors.

After having to read a million posts with some variation of "BUT WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT IT," I figured it would be fitting to leave Elite by definitively answering this question, at least from my perspective.

Have any of ya'll played Sea of Thieves? That was, in essence, my dream for this game. Take all the incredibly immersive systems we already have and add Sea of Thieves to it. Let me stand on the bridge of my ship while my crew clears us for action. Let me run down to the engine room as red lights flash and my Verity repeats "Powerplant meltdown imminent - manual override required." Let me take a stroll to engineering and fabricate some PVP ammo. Most of all, let me get into a hatchbreaker limpit, launch myself at an enemy ship, and storm their bridge, guns blazing.

I can do all of this in Sea of Thieves. I wanted to be able to do it in the world of Elite Dangerous- a persistent, evolving world bursting with billions of people and factions and stations, rather than a 10 square mile patch of ocean dotted with 2-dozen empty islands.

But I guess the devs sided with the people who claimed "it won't add any gameplay" - either because they agreed or (as I suspect) It was just too difficult for them to do.

For those who stay, I hope they get Odyssey fixed for ya and make the game you're hoping to play. But I think that's gonna do it for me. o7

just going to leave this here;

vQB5VAH.png

Free, and a WHOLE load of content, the pace of updates and content release from Rare is staggering, ill happily throw more money into their cosmetics in thanks.

Frontier take note.

I've been with this game for a long, long time- roughly six months from launch till now- and while I never thought I'd be one to leave, here we are.

Over ship interiors.

After having to read a million posts with some variation of "BUT WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT IT," I figured it would be fitting to leave Elite by definitively answering this question, at least from my perspective.

Have any of ya'll played Sea of Thieves? That was, in essence, my dream for this game. Take all the incredibly immersive systems we already have and add Sea of Thieves to it. Let me stand on the bridge of my ship while my crew clears us for action. Let me run down to the engine room as red lights flash and my Verity repeats "Powerplant meltdown imminent - manual override required." Let me take a stroll to engineering and fabricate some PVP ammo. Most of all, let me get into a hatchbreaker limpit, launch myself at an enemy ship, and storm their bridge, guns blazing.

I can do all of this in Sea of Thieves. I wanted to be able to do it in the world of Elite Dangerous- a persistent, evolving world bursting with billions of people and factions and stations, rather than a 10 square mile patch of ocean dotted with 2-dozen empty islands.

But I guess the devs sided with the people who claimed "it won't add any gameplay" - either because they agreed or (as I suspect) It was just too difficult for them to do.

For those who stay, I hope they get Odyssey fixed for ya and make the game you're hoping to play. But I think that's gonna do it for me. o7

Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/LyJ6KPlrFdKnK/giphy.gif

🤨....Dude, listen, this all sounds fine and dandy, but honestly, you're comparing apples to oranges, an archaic sea vessel to a space ship that would exist long after any of us are alive. So if you want a realistic approach to ship interiors, then Sea of Thieves is the LAST game you should be getting your idea's from because 99% of everything you'd need to do can be still done in the cockpit. We're not talking about a pirates sea vessel from before any of us were even thought of, we're talking about aircraft, WAY into the future. And in modern aircraft, there will be the captain, the co-pilot or first officer, and a mechanic, and a lot of the times you won't even have a mechanic, depending on the nature and size of the aircraft. The pilot is flying the plane and the co-pilot's primary duty would be the weapon systems who can also of course take control of the ship. The mechanic, as the title implies, is the one performing repair and maintenance on the ship, based on what the pilot tells him he is seeing on his instrument panel. The only one that will need to be running around throughout the ship patching things up at all is the mechanic. He also might be doing a routine check of the entire ship to make sure nothing is damaged, that all the flight control surfaces are working, the instrument panel is working, basically making sure nothing is inoperative before the flight. This can make an interesting gameplay loop for someone playing the role of a mechanic.

Instead of the player simply hitting "repair all", an actual player is the one doing it. In the real world, this is all done before the pilot even gets to see the ship, so it only gives this idea even more credence. And the pilot, when he does get there, at the most would be the one strapping down the cargo, that's about it. If something breaks during the flight, the pilot tells the mechanic what to check on and then he goes and fixes it, that's really it. So a good approach to ship interiors, in relation to the crew is to certify them in roles. A player designated as a "mechanic" will not be able to fly the ship, and the pilot will not be able to perform maintenance, because that's simply not his expertise. And you're talking about "manually overriding" the power plant...well, again, whatever needs to be "manually" performed regarding the aircrafts control surfaces, engines, etc, is all done in the cockpit on modern aircraft. If an engine is "melting down", all the pilot has to do is flip a switch and cut it off, and transfer the fuel to the other engine, assuming the mechanic can't get it fixed. The process is not nearly as archaic as you want it to be. It isn't EVEN NOW in modern aircraft, so why should it be in space ships hundreds and thousands of years into the future? This is the issue I have with pro ship interior people. The idea's you do propose makes very little sense. If you want ship interiors, then at least try to give an original, REALISTIC approach to it, if you want Frontier to take your plea's for ship interiors seriously. 🙃

Last edited:
For me the gameplay is secondary to a finished game experience, fade to black is a placeholder, until we can enter our ships it just won't be complete. The work involved is irrelevant,it was part of the original vision and it pairs so closely with on foot gameplay that it implies interiors are coming down the line,if the blue thing isn't a placeholder I wonder what they were thinking .

For me the gameplay is secondary to a finished game experience, fade to black is a placeholder, until we can enter our ships it just won't be complete. The work involved is irrelevant,it was part of the original vision and it pairs so closely with on foot gameplay that it implies interiors are coming down the line,if the blue thing isn't a placeholder I wonder what they were thinking .

As long as you aren't expecting Sea of Thieves...I mean my goodness....🤣...We've gotta do better than that folks. Comparing old sea vessels that aren't even used NOW, to super advanced space craft eons into the future?????.... Come on, give me a break. We should KNOW the gameplay should be fundamentally less archaic, and different just by that criteria alone for crying out loud.

Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/TJawtKM6OCKkvwCIqX/giphy.gif

I think even just making it possible for non VR players to walk around in the cockpit area would be worthwhile! I sure would enjoy it! Then maybe just add living quarters or a crew lounge.. Things simple enough to do that would add significantly to game immersion..

As long as you aren't expecting Sea of Thieves...I mean my goodness....🤣...We've gotta do better than that folks. Comparing old sea vessels that aren't even used NOW, to super advanced space craft eons into the future?????.... Come on, give me a break. We should KNOW the gameplay should be fundamentally less archaic, and different just by that criteria alone for crying out loud.

Only in Elite I'd have an eye patch on both eyes!

I mean, I'd be the last to argue that Sea of Thieves gameplay can be copypasted 1:1 to Elite Dangerous. But you can't seriously be arguing that "press keyboard button to hoist sail" is somehow different from "press keyboard button to operate complicated space-age thingymajigg".

I mean, I'd be the last to argue that Sea of Thieves gameplay can be copypasted 1:1 to Elite Dangerous. But you can't seriously be arguing that "press keyboard button to hoist sail" is somehow different from "press keyboard button to operate complicated space-age thingymajigg".
you know, space ships are mostly operate by buttons

Well we're not asking for a full blown simulator, just an accurate representation of how things would actually get done in a futuristic vessel. Sea of Thieves though.....just simply shouldn't be in the discussion..🙃

you know, space ships are mostly operate by buttons
Well...buttons, levers, dials, switches if comparing them to modern aircraft. Even engine troubles can be easily handled in the cockpit. What the O.P author is suggesting is archaic as all hell. Most of the gameplay will still be in the cockpit if FDEV gets it right.

The fact of the matter is, Elite as a game simply was not designed with ship interiors in mind, even if the ships themselves were designed in that way. The design of Elite does not allow for easy introduction of interior gameplay.

Literally the exact opposite of your statement:

Hopefully we'll get this, "further down the line" (TM)

Forget ship interiors for a second: at this point I'd settle for ship exteriors.

Give me some panels on the outside of my ship that I can interact with. Give me the opportunity to set down on a planet and try to fix certain things using the various Horizons and Odyssey engineering mats that we're magically carrying around. My disability and manually flying through the mail slot doesn't jive all that well... next time my landing computer gets shot out, I'd love the ability to land on a planet (which is much easier for me) and swap out a few random components to get it going again. I wouldn't hate it if some of the panels were cuttable with the Maverick suit's laser, and people could potentially yoink the power regulators out of the other ships that land at outposts, or from a player who has left themselves unattended. And, all of those accessible panels should be added onto the crashed ship POIs as well, so that there's an opportunity to salvage some repair supplies whenever you pop over to one of the Anaconda crash sites, and so forth.

That doesn't seem like it would be too much of a stretch from what is already implemented in the game, but it's also a good stepping stone towards the kinds of mechanics that players want to see from interiors and/or EVA. If we already have a mechanic that lets you repair your ship when it is landed, having some of those repair points inside the ship rather than outside isn't a stretch, but you've built in that "you have to be landed so we don't have to model you moving around a flying ship" restriction. It's an upgrade on an existing mechanic, not a new mechanic that feels like it has something missing. Once that's working, then maybe the next step is "okay, but what if the ship is stationary but in space?", which is definitely more of a challenge, but not as much of a challenge as moving at supercruise, and it's easily handwaved as a "safety feature" where the seatbelts won't unlock you from your chair unless you're stationary. Instead of treating ship interiors like a monolithic holy grail that the developers are callously withholding from us, breaking it down into smaller more achievable challenges and expectations might be a more effective way of actually getting it done.

Top Bottom